Crysis remastered could be announced soon on new CryEngine tech

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited? Not my genre of games.. more into RPGs

"The publisher is pretty bullish on next-gen consoles and says Battlefield 6 will "blow people's minds," but it won't be out for some time. Crysis could be a great way for EA and Crytek to show their next-gen prowess

And of course we'll have NVIDIA's latest RTX 3080 graphics card this year, accompanied by Big Navi RDNA 2 GPUs and Zen 3 CPUs, so Crytek will have plenty of PC power to play with."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7178...nounced-soon-on-new-cryengine-tech/index.html

So long as the level of destruction in the environment that was capable in the original is served as the bare minimum then I'm in. Too many games released these days ignore all the little details that used to make them special.

Hmm. Maximum remake!

I’d play it again as long as they don’t try to jam some kind of call of duty plot into it. Keep it nonsensical and fun to play.

I'm excited. Pretty sure I'd snatch this up day 1....maybe even a {gasp} pre-order!

What ever happen to the 4th game they have been talking about for the past decade? Have to agree with others. A remake is just being lazy. Now if they could easily recompile the old games with the new engine. Release those as a reminder of the storyline. Then follow it with a new game that would different.

What ever happen to the 4th game they have been talking about for the past decade? Have to agree with others. A remake is just being lazy. Now if they could easily recompile the old games with the new engine. Release those as a reminder of the storyline. Then follow it with a new game that would different.
The bar gets pretty high for each launch, so getting a team to progress, get use to the tools, weed out the weak or the ones not contributing, get some experience while ideas start to take hold is probably the only real shot in making a Crysis 4 which may engage a totally different character during the Crysis periods or move the franchise in a totally different direction like attacking the Sith home world or something to stop the spread forever.

Crysis story is largely a dead end. I am happy for a remake of the original which was the best.

They can do a reboot, but again that would be kind of lame. There is no reason you can't make a spiritual successor with the same base gameplay though.

"The publisher is pretty bullish on next-gen consoles and says Battlefield 6 will "blow people's minds"

EA's Chief Financial Officer would say that. And EA says something to that effect about every Battlefield game before it releases. But they've turned out to be terrible for multiple games in a row now.

I wonder if EA's CFO even plays games or if they just look at screenshots and video of their company's in-development projects and see the graphical fidelity and think that's everything that's needed to get high sales figures.

Here's the larger context of EA CFO Blake Jorgensen's comment:

"We expect live services to continue to drive growth in Fiscal 2021 and for growth to accelerate in Fiscal 2022, led by a new Battlefield"

"You should assume the power of those consoles is much more than existing consoles. We can do a lot more. You will start to see things over the next couple of years that will blow people's minds"

God I hope they tone down th AI. The last round of crysis was a bit much.

Like, enemy soldiers peeing, getting shot, and wondering what the heck happened before continuing their pee.

Digital Foundry did a good breakdown of Crysis a couple years ago talking about how it ran so well on Xbox 360 and PS3 compared to PC (relatively). They said the console version actually ran on the Crysis 2 engine which was better multi threaded. Their analysis of Crysis 1 on PC is that it ran so poorly due to being mostly single threaded, built with the hope GHz was continuing to increase, which it did not, cores increased. Seeing how Crysis could perform on a better engine is interesting.

Just a couple months ago, for the first time I played through the whole Crysis series and other than Crysis and Warhead constantly crashing despite all the fixes I found online (most popular being to download/use the 64-bit .exe and files from the retail disk version - didn't help for me) it was definitely a fun game that holds up pretty well still IMO. What's funny is that it ran the same for me performance wise on my Ryzen 2700X / 2080 config regardless of the IQ settings; it would run at the wildly variable 40-120 FPS (my soft cap for my display) whether it was on the lowest settings or highest, which makes sense considering it limited by CPU clock speed alone since it only uses 1-2 cores and is why it's infamously hard to run smoothly. I think both my CPU and GPU utilization while playing the game was around 30-40% playing it maxed out at 3440x1440.

So I would love to see a remake or at least some kind of port to a newer engine to make it multi-threaded, because that's mostly why it doesn't run well even on modern hardware.

I’d play it again as long as they don’t try to jam some kind of call of duty plot into it. Keep it nonsensical and fun to play.

alens.jpg

Last edited:

They haven't really been talking about it. Crytek because of it's former CEO almost ruined the studio financially, and from what I remember was/is a dick. They instead resorted to making online games and licensing CryEngine out. CryEngine still holds out pretty well... i've been playing Sniper Ghost Warrior: Contracts and it looks great. Not the best implementation of the engine because even Crysis 3 which released 7 years ago compared to the recently released SGW: Contracts still looks better but CryEngine is still very pretty.

Hopefully it doesn't run like trash. There are plenty of games out there that look/run amazing right this second on current hardware. If they're going to push us toward next-gen hardware it better be justified.

So I would love to see a remake or at least some kind of port to a newer engine to make it multi-threaded, because that's mostly why it doesn't run well even on modern hardware.
Might also be why it never ran well. After all these years, we have to accept that the game was just not well optimized. Graphics are still good, though.

Even the newer versions of the Crytek engine aren't good when it comes to performance. Much better than it was, but still not good.

Even the newer versions of the Crytek engine aren't good when it comes to performance. Much better than it was, but still not good.

Yeah last time I played Hunt (admittedly a while ago) I thought it looked really good but the performance was poor.

Crysis 2/3 seemed to be fine. As did Prey, although Prey graphically wasn't the best (very average). It does seem to be a notch below UE or other engines and it seems like only Crytek has been able to really put out much good with it.

Not a fan of remakes, but I really loved Crysis 1. This will be more like Crysis 1 2.0 (regardless of the engine itself, it's the game revision, not the engine revision). Should be great. The first release was very good graphically, and I look forward to seeing what they bring to this release. I loved the damage you could do to everything.

Looking forward to it. :)

What I'd love to see is a Far Cry 1 remake with the latest and greatest engines. Or the Crytek dinosaur demo (I played that again and again way back when... My son loved dinosaurs as a kid, so he loved it, too).

I thought Prey looked pretty good. Performance was also nice (I played at 4K almost max settings without issues).

Crysis story is largely a dead end. I am happy for a remake of the original which was the best.

They can do a reboot, but again that would be kind of lame. There is no reason you can't make a spiritual successor with the same base gameplay though.
What story? Didn't need one - Crysis was all about blowing shit up in a sandbox. And for that it was wonderful.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance looks amazing and runs well if you turn down the draw distances.

I disagree. I recently played it and didn't think the graphics were very good, definitely not for the performance.

Only cryengine game that ran good and worked well was Prey. Of course, it had pretty toned down and stylized graphics. It ran well though.

Meh, nothing more than a graphics demo really. The game wasn't great anyways. I think I spend the most time using the rocket launcher to blow up buildings. At least the physics were good.

I disagree, Crysis was great. I liked the different suit settings aspect, I thought the guns/mods were cool, I liked the big open levels, and I also actually really liked the story. It was more than just graphics.

Every other game besides warzone was garbage though.

I was pretty indifferent to Crysis as a game. I feel like Far Cry did the open world thing better and I didn't care for much after the aliens showed up. The first half at least had lots of neat things to try. The fact that the game ran like trash for years didn't help things, though. I used it as a way to test out new hardware way more than I actually seriously played it. The sequels threw strategy out the window, but they were mindlessly fun and looked cool.

The game was fucking terrible. I played the entire thing. Textbook example of how poor AI can destroy any sense of immersion.

I don't need a compelling storyline in a shooter. I just don't want to be able to shoot a guy in the foot. while looking him in the eyes, then turn invisible, and completely erase the notion I was there. There was maybe... a handful of times I was like, "oh hey that's neat, I remember when they promised me I could accomplish missions millions of different ways by manipulating variables, and even though I've tried everything, one thing actually did change this time."

Same with Skyrim. Can't handle that shit.

I think I had one "damn that was awesome" moment in the entire crysis experience... Save for the intro mission which gave me very high hopes, only to repeatedly kick me in the nuts afterwards.

I wonder if Crytek are paying their developers this time? Or just suing amazon. If they lose that case, it should be legally required they change their studio to QQtek.

Back