Crysis on G80

Sloth_Boy said:
It's just the narrow contrast ratio of the digital camera that recorded the footage. It over-exposes the highlights and under-exposes the shadows.

I could buy that, but after watching it a few more times, there could of been shadows of the guys running under the tree's shadow:

crysis_g80_shadow_shadows.JPG

yeah...they definitely have soft shadows disabled in the videos. I guess we'll get soft shadows + acceptable frame rates in the 9800gtx.

What you're talking about is shadow blending though. Dunno when we're going to see that. My guess is about the time we see hardware accelerated raytracing.

I wonder what nvidia is going to do with the 9xxx series.. Its going to conflict with ATI greatly.

"What video card are you running?" "9800".. "Your video card is THAT old?"

-Brandon

My guess is they'll come up with a replacement for the Geforce name. Since numbers aren't english, maybe they'll just spell out the traditional number after the new name.

Ubergrafix Fourty-Four Hundred ®

my guess is it won't be a huge issue by then, I mean ati had an 8800 card and there's not really any issue with nvidia using 8800 for their new series.

ATI only had an 8500

The name GeForce 9800 is a long ways off, and if they are any worried about nameing conflicts (which there probably won't be...) they could change little things about the name, like how they did with the FX series, releasing with a different preset name and slightly modifie the number scheme immediately come out with the 50 adjective (9850GTS/GTX etc.)

kuyaglen said:
there could of been shadows of the guys running under the tree's shadow:

Why would something which is in shadow cast another shadow without any other light source?

meatfestival said:
Why would something which is in shadow cast another shadow without any other light source?

Exactly!

The guy is under a tree's shadow therefore he doesn't have his own shadow.

Brilliant!

How do you guys think the 7900gt will hold up playing this game. I still unclear about vista though. I know I need to have vista and DX10 installed to play the game but because I will be using my 7900gt what real features will I be lacking for this game? Is it going to look like crap? Also I will be running at 1152 by 864 resolution.

You DON'T have to have Vista to play Crysis.

You only have to have Vista to play Crysis in DX10 mode.

Brahmzy said:
You DON'T have to have Vista to play Crysis.

You only have to have Vista to play Crysis in DX10 mode.
Well thats good to hear. What functionality will I loose by not having DX10? Unified shaders right? At that resolution I would think that I wouldn't loose to much.

Similarly, you DONT need DX10 to play crysis.

The 7900GT probably will do OK on this game. Probably medium-high settings is what I'm guessing based up on how my 7900GT plays in other games.

Rabid Badger said:
Crytek doesn't know how to use Fraps?
Crytek can handle art assets and renderer programming and little else, really. Was I the only one who played the last one?

winston856 said:
Well, they really should have shadows (they are not 100% in shadow), but I don't think it's a huge issue. If it's not a bug, then from an efficiency standpoint, it's a rather good trade-off. Shadow buffers are mildly intensive, so any chance you have to remove them, the better.

pettybone said:
How do you guys think the 7900gt will hold up playing this game. I still unclear about vista though. I know I need to have vista and DX10 installed to play the game but because I will be using my 7900gt what real features will I be lacking for this game? Is it going to look like crap? Also I will be running at 1152 by 864 resolution.

Well the 7900gt is not a dx10 card so umm basically you'll be missing everything from dx10

I honestly think Crysis should run pretty well on DX9, as long as you don't expect too much from your rig. I'll be happy with medium/high 1152/864, at least until the refreshes hit and I go spend crazy.

TekSomniaK said:
Well the 7900gt is not a dx10 card so umm basically you'll be missing everything from dx10
I don't think it's been confirmed that Crysis makes use of any SM4.0-exclusive features. Can you list exactly what would be missing? I sure as hell can't. Can anyone here?

This DX10 issue is being blown completely out of proportion, in my opinion. It's a vast upgrade over SM3.0, but unless the capabilities are used, it's a SM3.0 renderer.

In fact, I think Crysis is being blown completely out of proportion, but that's an entirely different issue.

Look closely at the Crysis screens, the images are somewhat improved over FarCry, IMO.Just like Prey improved the Doom3 engine.
There are alot of cool new features in Crysis, but I think a highend system will play that game just fine.

The Dx10???? yeah it will be very impressive sooner or later.....but all the stuff about to hit is first timer.....I like new stuff, just like everybody else......but I'm going to sit tight with what Ive got until I see/read what all the hype is about......I think late spring or summer next year will be a good time to start buying new GPUs and MBs. By that time you'll have a good choice of stuff that will play the DX10.....Crysis will support DX9 just fine from what I've read.

phide said:
I don't think it's been confirmed that Crysis makes use of any SM4.0-exclusive features. Can you list exactly what would be missing? I sure as hell can't. Can anyone here?

I have been wondering the same thing...

In regards to DX10 The only thing I know for sure that is a feature DX9 doesn't have is 4-way AFR, whihc is only applicable for quad SLI users...

Anyway, I am sure details will start popping up in the next month as to what DX10 will have exclusively when considering Crysis.

Did they scrap the water splash/drip affect on the screen when you come up from water? In earlier videos, i've seen this implemented but in this dx10 ingame footage, it was missing. :confused: Or could they have just dissabled that affect?

Check Crysis-Online.com the dev said that a 7800GTX runs the game maxed out at 1024x768 currently unoptimized (In DX9 ofcourse). So those of you asking about the 7900GT should have no worries.

Flexmaster said:
Check Crysis-Online.com the dev said that a 7800GTX runs the game maxed out at 1024x768 currently unoptimized (In DX9 ofcourse). So those of you asking about the 7900GT should have no worries.

I hope that's true. I plan on upgrading from my 7800GTX no matter what this winter, so it's good to know that I'll supposedly have no problem enjoying Crysis. Optimization is, IMO, one of the absolute most important things for devs to focus on.

But, .. .

It requires Vista to run DX10. If you do not plan on having Vista ASAP, you might just as well keep a 7950GX2 or dual X1950XTX's in Xfire for equal or better performance than a $650+ 8800GTX beast.

Bo_Fox said:
But, .. .

It requires Vista to run DX10. If you do not plan on having Vista ASAP, you might just as well keep a 7950GX2 or dual X1950XTX's in Xfire for equal or better performance than a $650+ 8800GTX beast.

No one knows yet how an 8800GTX will perform, anyone hesitating on getting a new card should know the answer in a month hopefully.

winston856 said:
Exactly!

Brilliant!

The only thing you might see (in real life) is some darker patches of shadow directly under their feet because the diffused light reflecting from everywhere is not able to reach those areas. But I doubt they'd bother rendering such a trivial thing.

phide said:
Crytek can handle art assets and renderer programming and little else, really. Was I the only one who played the last one?

For their very first game I thought they did an outstanding job with Far Cry. The first few missions are incredibly fun, I'm currently playing it again for the 3rd or 4th time. It loses its way towards the end because of some balancing/difficulty issues, but I still think it's a PC classic.

phide said:
Well, they really should have shadows (they are not 100% in shadow).

They are not under any direct light source, so the most you're going to see is some very feint, diffused shadows being cast from all around. Hardly worth bothering about.

StaticSurge said:
No one knows yet how an 8800GTX will perform, anyone hesitating on getting a new card should know the answer in a month hopefully.

I bet that the 8800GTX will beat a single 7950GX2 in DX9 games, no problem.

But I think that dual X1950XTX's in Crossfire will beat a single 8800GTX (not including DX10 games, ofc).

Bo_Fox said:
I bet that the 8800GTX will beat a single 7950GX2 in DX9 games, no problem.
It. Had. Better.

Bo_Fox said:
But I think that dual X1950XTX's in Crossfire will beat a single 8800GTX (not including DX10 games, ofc).

That could be a possibility also. I'd like to see that happen :)

Back