Crysis Next Teased, a Free-to-Play Battle Royale FPS

erek

[H]F Junkie
"As for when Crytek plans to release this—don't hold your breath. Given that it's surfaced in a job posting, the game must still be in development. We know "Crysis Next" to be a working title, given that the listing also mentions "Ryse Next," which could be the next chapter to the critically-acclaimed Ryse: Son of Rome. Also listed are Crysis VR, Hunt Mobile, and Robinson 2."

https://www.techpowerup.com/274198/crysis-next-teased-a-free-to-play-battle-royale-fps

How anyone sat in a board meeting about this, and thought collectively ‘Yeah, this is a good idea.’, is beyond me.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
How to save a dying company:
I know! Bet all our remaining resources on a game in a genre so saturated and tired that only 1 in 10 releases become profitable!

Hopefully they don't use the same outdated engine as the Remastered Crysis then; they had one thing to fix on Crysis - multi-threading, and they failed.

They should invest more into Hunt:Showdown .. more bettah' quality servers .. and stop adding all these snowflake hand-holding features that only the unsilent minority cry about ..

hmm ..I guess that's how society in general seems to work right now .. darn

Yes, that's what people want.

I imagine we are merely a few years away from a official Crytek death notice.

If I recall they had their own Warzone game right? A bigger map for team deathmatch and such, designed because the super jumps etc could cover a lot of ground, was still jungle based I htink...maybe their goal is to try and expand that into something people want to play. I forget why it wasn't popular back in the day, I didn't try it, came out as a companion to Crysis Warhead I think.....

First that debacle of a console "remaster" and now another Battle Royale?

I'm not even mad, I'm just disappointed.

Outside of ultra-wides, what is left of enthusiast PC gaming?

How anyone sat in a board meeting about this, and thought collectively ‘Yeah, this is a good idea.’, is beyond me.
But that's probably exactly what they did. Take one look at the quarterly results of Activision Blizzard. I'm a battlefield fanboy, and really hope DICE doesn't fuck up again, but battle royale is here to stay. I'd still be curious what the breakdown between those metrics are between the base multiplayer and warzone. Selling skins is here to stay. People buy them in droves.

• Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® and Warzone™ saw more than three times as many MAUsD as the prior title in the year-ago quarter. Console MAUsD grew strongly and PC MAUsD grew over ten-fold year-over-year. Across PC and console combined, hours played were approximately seven times higher year-over-year.

D Monthly Active User (“MAU”) Definition: We monitor MAUs as a key measure of the overall size of our user base. MAUs are the number of individuals who accessed a particular game in a given month. We calculate average MAUs in a period by adding the total number of MAUs in each of the months in a given period and dividing that total by the number of months in the period. An individual who accesses two of our games would be counted as two users. In addition, due to technical limitations, for Activision and King, an individual who accesses the same game on two platforms or devices in the relevant period would be counted as two users. For Blizzard, an individual who accesses the same game on two platforms or devices in the relevant period would generally be counted as a single user. In certain instances, we rely on third parties to publish our games. In these instances, MAU data is based on information provided to us by those third parties, or, if final data is not available, reasonable estimates of MAUs for these third-party published games.

https://investor.activision.com/new...sion Blizzard's net,the third quarter of 2019.

Must be the same guys who thought "remastering" Crysis by giving the Xbox 360 version better textures would be enough.

Oh look another bsttle royale as if there isnt enough of these storyless boring time wasting junk bins to choose from

No one makes games for story anymore, now its just chase the dollar bill the lowest energy method possible.

I don’t have any interest in the genre but you guys are fooling yourselves if you don’t think they’re popular and making money for the companies.

pubg or Fortnite players probably aren’t posting here, but there’s an awful lot of people playing these games and paying micro dollars for hats.

sort of a weird combination though. they are just taking a title with some brand awareness and slapping a “battle royale” onto it.

after a few more years and the anti-trendy people forget or move on it will be no different than CTF, TDM, DM, DOM etc etc all started by one game and adopted by the rest.

I don’t have any interest in the genre but you guys are fooling yourselves if you don’t think they’re popular and making money for the companies.

pubg or Fortnite players probably aren’t posting here, but there’s an awful lot of people playing these games and paying micro dollars for hats.

sort of a weird combination though. they are just taking a title with some brand awareness and slapping a “battle royale” onto it.

For every PUBG and Fortnite there are dozens of failures.

A unique challenge to having a successful BR game is you need way more active players. The older BR games were unique experiences and players were more willing to wait longer times for matches and put up with bugs and unpolished gameplay. Now there are a lot of BR games and people aren't willing to wait a long time for a match or play anything that isn't up to par with all the free to play options that are already available.

Most of the new successful BR games have huge budgets and are backed up by huge marketing like Apex Legends (EA) and Call of Duty (Activision). There are very few made by smaller companies that seem to be doing well. Spellbreak is the only one I can think of.

Does Crytek have what it takes to make a super good BR game with unique enough gameplay to keep people playing for more than a week? I'm skeptical.

Back