Votes: 70 29.0%
  • Isn't as i hoped

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • Over-hyped waste of time

Votes: 19 7.9%

• Total voters

Scotty_SFF

Gawd
I've been playing (well ok shooting trees and exploding things) for about 2 hours now, on my GTX im on HIGH settings no AA getting pretty crappy frame rate for what i though but it's playable.

The game itself doesn't, imo, seem to bring anything really new, maybe because i haven't played it all yet. But i don't think it has lived up to the hype, something seems to be lacking as well.

edit:crap wrong area :| thought it was odd no1 had posted anything.

my bad

Feels a bit too much like Far Cry to me. Environments look and feel the same (with some minor aesthetic upgrades), it still takes a ridiculous number of bullets to bring down enemy soldiers. Death animations, close quarters enemy bunching, and some other minor bugs round out the disappointments.

Other than that, though, it's stellar. I'm thoroughly enjoying the robust AI (one part of Far Cry that I loved). Sound design is superb. Environmental atmosphere is excellent - I've felt at times that my room was in fact the jungle I was walking through in-game. Vehicles feel just right - the speedometer's even 100% accurate! No arcade-ish feeling that some FPS games have when it comes to vehicles.

Oh, and the suit's voice is absolutely perfect. I crave hearing which mods I've switched to, gets me excited. :D

Few gripes I have...

First is frame rate, not that I was expecting 19x12 all eye candy on, for the amount of detail I'm seeing and the frame rate I'm getting something feels off. Kinda reminds me of "I figured out how to do this effect, but it's painfully long code that I'm sure could be optimized but I don't know how yet still it looks cool" kind of code. At times the only reason I feel it's lagging is due to a ridiculously high poly count per scene even though it's supposed to be draw distance optimized.

I'm sure a few more things can be off loaded onto other cores, my 3.6 quad didn't seem stressed at all during the CPU benchmark. It was blowing up buildings left center and right without much of a dip in framerate when a building blewup avg 39 with peaks to 49...

Accurate bullet hits. Like mentioned in the above post... it's a dumb way to make the game harder. I'm going to LESSEN the accuracy of your weapon while making it weaker along the way... feels cheap. I was playing on the highest difficulty (which felt like brothers in arms at times). I was 10 ft away and couldn't get a headshot while zoomed in cloaked behind a target. I was like WTF??? If you're gonna tout realism on a new level.. I should be able to peg them in the leg cause them to fall etc. It's nice I can destroy a car's pieces but if you can't injure a body with the same concept it feels like every other 3d shooter. Also on hard feels like I need to waste a clip to kill a person then once in a while I can kill him with 2 hits? Damn accuracy code should not make close range combat this insane.

The whole "they only speak in Korean while on the hardest" is dumb. I think while it's a good way to help newbs, it's much more immersive to have that as an option even on the lower difficulties. I think have them speak native as a option, while having cross hairs on hardest. Then ramp up the AI avoidance and flanking. I found I could always easily avoid their flanking by backing up regardless of the difficulty. They also ran into my crosshairs way to easilly.

at 1280x1024 with settings to high, the game ran fantastic on my PC(see sig).

Weapon accuracy was terrible.
Enemy AI accuracy was way to good.
Very little health. Even with max armor mode, you still cant take many hits...so all killing must be done stealth.

When attacking ta 1st light....unless you do it completely stealth, the gun boat will see you and gun you down...you can go prone and hide behind a rock, totally out of sight, the boat hundreds of yards away, crawl through the grass and he can still see you...

Like someone said earlier, the jungle is just beautiful...I to, felt like I was really there, navigating through the jungle in the dark with only the moonlight to guide me(flashlight gives away your position).

The suit is awesome...I loved cloak, and even its drain is cool....drains slow when standing still, uses more energy to adapt when you move....Super strength is awesome... Grabbing the enemy by the neck an tossing him into the sea or using him as a human shield is fun. Why shoot the enemy when you can sneak up and super punch the walls of the building and crush him inside.

Enemy hummer? no problem, shoot out the wheel and he crashes, or bring down a tree infront of it....sweet.

Feels a bit too much like Far Cry to me. Environments look and feel the same (with some minor aesthetic upgrades), it still takes a ridiculous number of bullets to bring down enemy soldiers. Death animations, close quarters enemy bunching, and some other minor bugs round out the disappointments.

Other than that, though, it's stellar. I'm thoroughly enjoying the robust AI (one part of Far Cry that I loved). Sound design is superb. Environmental atmosphere is excellent - I've felt at times that my room was in fact the jungle I was walking through in-game. Vehicles feel just right - the speedometer's even 100% accurate! No arcade-ish feeling that some FPS games have when it comes to vehicles.

Oh, and the suit's voice is absolutely perfect. I crave hearing which mods I've switched to, gets me excited. :D

You stole my thunder from me, especially that first segment of your post.

It's Far Cry: The Next Generation. That's not a bad thing but there are few annoyances that you rightly highlighted that I'm not super thrilled with.

1440x900 medium everything on an X2 3800+ and HD2600XT 256, around 25-30 fps at all times, even better performance if I go down to 1280x720 which scales nicely on my LCD.

I don't have any complaints about the game. It feels more next-generation than UT3 and CoD4, the multiplayer feels much better than I had expected, the singleplayer really draws me in and the story is interesting, so is the delivery of it and the excellent cutscenes.

With some tweaking and driver updates I think things will move even smoother, which is a positive surprise for my budget machine. I wouldn't call it Far Cry 2, I haven't seen any trigen bastards to ruin the feeling of the game yet ¨<

Eh mods will be done. This game is still fun and basically is a benchmark for graphics just like Far Cry was. They did not reinvent themselves here but do need to adjust and optimize some more obviously. The random accuracy is BS and is certainly an EA influence lol. BF2, 2142 anyone?

Eh mods will be done. This game is still fun and basically is a benchmark for graphics just like Far Cry was. They did not reinvent themselves here but do need to adjust and optimize some more obviously. The random accuracy is BS and is certainly an EA influence lol. BF2, 2142 anyone?

You bet. Seeing that EA logo at the beginning of the demo immediately made me brace myself just a touch.

I'm using reflex scope and landing perfect headshots on guys from good crouched positions for stability and I'm still emptying at least a dozen or so headhots' worth of bullets to finally drop one guy.

It's ridiculous.

its pretty decent, to me its Far Cry, with aliens. I had fun with it though, I didnt keep my expectations high, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I'll reserve judgements for the final game. Don't really do much of the good stuff you see in the videos, in the demo.

at 1280x1024 with settings to high, the game ran fantastic on my PC(see sig).

Seems then my CPU is not up to the task if you're getting good frame-rates, It's barely playable in spots at 1152x768 with everything set to high with shadows and physics set to medium.

It's pretty much like FarCry except with a much needed facelift and a few other nice additions. And is anyone else having the problem of the game crapping out (crashes) after about 10-15 minutes?!

X3

The demo is fantastic. The graphics are to drool for and the gameplay is better than what we had in Far Cry, which was already very good. Crytek truly had a pearl in their hands and up until now, it's been more than worth it!!

X3

The demo is fantastic. The graphics are to drool for and the gameplay is better than what we had in Far Cry, which was already very good. Crytek truly had a pearl in their hands and up until now, it's been more than worth it!!

X4!!!!

Graphics are nice and its OK. But it just doesn't have the same appeal as when I cracked open HL1 not knowing anything about it other than "its a great game".

Its fun but I didn't even make it through the sp demo before I got bored.

At the same time, I am a little bias. I don't like sci-fi crap. Farcry was fine but having a techno suit was just not my cup of tea.

Well I just got done playing it for a little while. The game runs like shit on my machine. I knew I wouldn't be able to run it as good as I can every other game out there, but even at modest resolutions it's barely playable.

It's Farcry 2033 or some such thing. I like the game. It's cool and seems reasonably fun, except for the performance of it detracts from the fun factor quite a bit for me. I have to agree with another post that it takes WAY too many shots to kill the enemies. That pisses me off to some degree. The customization of weapons and the suit powers are all cool. All in all I am looking forward to the full release, but I'm certainly not happy with how the game performs.

Anyone go into the Editor? It's fuckin awesome!! Install Sandbox2 Editor (C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Sandbox2 Installer) and lauch it from C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Bin32\Editor.exe

Now open Island.cry, or the mp map Shore.cry. Put tanks, vehicles, weapons, AI, buildings, whatever you want, then press Ctrl + G or F12 to play it! pretty fun

Well I just got done playing it for a little while. The game runs like shit on my machine. I knew I wouldn't be able to run it as good as I can every other game out there, but even at modest resolutions it's barely playable.

It's Farcry 2033 or some such thing. I like the game. It's cool and seems reasonably fun, except for the performance of it detracts from the fun factor quite a bit for me. I have to agree with another post that it takes WAY too many shots to kill the enemies. That pisses me off to some degree. The customization of weapons and the suit powers are all cool. All in all I am looking forward to the full release, but I'm certainly not happy with how the game performs.

I'd imagine at the resolution you must be playing it on. :)

I'd imagine at the resolution you must be playing it on. :)

At 2560x1600 it's a slideshow. At 1280x800 which is a pretty low resolution I still have to turn AA off, and I even gimped the shadows. Still runs like ass, but it's playable. This is just unacceptable performance out of any new game on higher end hardware. As I recall Farcry was almost as bad on the hardware of the day when it came out. It was some time before the hardware caught up to the game. I hate to play that waiting game again, but I suppose I have no chioce. It's unfortunate that I'll probably beat the snot out of the full version of Crysis before hardware comes along that will allow me to enjoy it in it's full visual splendor.

Not sure what you were expecting, but I expected Crysis to be exactly like Far Cry wich was awesome compared to Doom3 and HL2 that came out around the same time, had you not seen any screen shots?

As for to many shots to bring down a bad guy, this is a "game" not a simulation. In real life a firearm wound to the leg can kill someone very fast with excessive bleeding, does not tend to make for a good game.

Lastly, most people seem to be pissing around with there graphics settings and killing trees and buildings, treating it more like Tech Demo than a game, which will change with the release of Crysis.

I don't think so. While not 100% representational of the final game, I think this is about 95% of what we can expect from the full game.

Dan did you disable SLI? It doesn't work right according to Brent so maybe thats why its running so slow for you. Its running pretty smooth for me with a single GTS @ 1280x1024 everything on High.

Also, regarding enemies taking too many shots to kill.. omfg no kidding... unless you get a head shot they take at least 5 solid hits to drop... stupid!

This pissed me off so bad the first time I played, a lot of the second go around I used the tactical sleep dart to knock them out, then came up close for a nice pistol shot in the face.. nice blood splatter for your HUD :p:D

HELL YES its not just me. What is up with that?

After playing it a few more times, a single headshot will do the trick...but it seems that the enemy body armor can take a crapload of shots...even the guys without vests still take a load of bodyshots...plenty more then you can...
Personally, Id swamp out the crytec outfit for some good old kevlar in some of these fights. 6-10 body shots to kill an enemy with a vest...2-3 shots to you with maximum armor....

After playing it a few more times, a single headshot will do the trick...but it seems that the enemy body armor can take a crapload of shots...even the guys without vests still take a load of bodyshots...plenty more then you can...
Personally, Id swamp out the crytec outfit for some good old kevlar in some of these fights. 6-10 body shots to kill an enemy with a vest...2-3 shots to you with maximum armor....

QFT.
I felt like I was shooting a bb gun... litterally.

Anyone go into the Editor? It's fuckin awesome!! Install Sandbox2 Editor (C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Sandbox2 Installer) and lauch it from C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Bin32\Editor.exe

Now open Island.cry, or the mp map Shore.cry. Put tanks, vehicles, weapons, AI, buildings, whatever you want, then press Ctrl + G or F12 to play it! pretty fun

Awesome. I been playing around with it. The tank is awesome....as is the chopper.

MINIGUN FTW!!!!!

question, I accidentally closed the object thing on the right hand side...the one where u add all the stuff...and I can figure out how to get it back...any help?

I agree, the gun behavior is sluggish and not realistic.

Word to Crytek.... the weapons action, movement and physics of the shots in America's Army is dead bang (pun) accurate and realistic. So COPY IT. The Army went to alot of trouble to make AA as close to real as possible for training purposes, take advantage of the $millions spent on the fundamentals.

Otherwise it looks to be fun, though I wstraight through the demo without dying and completed it no problem. Hint... just grab a hummer and blast the shit out of everyone. When it gets to damaged, grab another. The gunboat can kiss my speeding away ass, etc :eek::rolleyes::p

did anyone try the editor? There is a nuke weapon you can get. It. Is. Insane.

I am extremely happy to see the high-end video cards struggle with Crysis. New games should require you to run 1280x1024 at max settings with no AA, even with the best video card available. New games need to push the graphical threshold and that's why there are different graphic settings; low, medium, high, and very high. IMO, very high should be borderline unplayable with current hardware on the market. With new video cards always improving, its nice to see where graphics are heading. I loved playing Farcry a year or two after it released with my new video card (x800xt vs 9800 pro originally) and being able to increase the settings to very high, increase the resolution to 1600x1200, and include some AA. It almost looked like a new game.

My Athlon Barton 2500+ @ 2.3ghz, x800xt @ 590/550, and 1GB DDR400 RAM runs Crysis great! .......................... at 800x600, all low settings.

I didnt try anything higher though, and my system might actually do a tad better, but I doubt it. The game actually looks decent even at low settings. I have no problem playing this game on my dated system.

did anyone try the editor? There is a nuke weapon you can get. It. Is. Insane.

The main rifle is much better with the assault scope or the sniper scope....aswell as the actual sniper rifle is a 1 hit kill gun. Grenade launcher, SMG....lotsa cool guns.

The tanks, aswell as the APC are fun. The hovercraft is sweet...but I love the chopper.
I played withthe new guns and vehicles....but I went to the 1st camp that you attack...first light, and I added a dozen more enemies, a few more vehicles and such...lotsa fun.

I can't believe there are still Mario bubbles underwater. I was really hoping they would make some more realistic bubbles...

Back