Crysis and Crysis Warhead won't run.black screen, crash and lockup

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I just downloaded them from GOG. I had read that the GOG version worked better than Steams. However I get black screen on both and warhead has black screen with sound but no video plus I have to shut down I can't task manager kill warhead. Crysis just goes black on start, then after a minute or so crashes back to desktop. Tried compatibility mode vista and 7, run as admin, reinstalled june 2010 dx, ran dxweb setup, Did some renaming and moving of crysis exe files. Nothing so far has worked..

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
Download the 64-bit binaries and see if they work. There should be links to them on PC Gaming Wiki.

For the record, the 32-bit version never worked for me ever since it came out and I was on Vista. The 64-bit version with the retail disc always worked flawlessly.

I don't know I just installed both crysis and warhead steam version on My Asus VR laptop I7 7700, 3gb 1060, 250 NVMe boot 2tb Micron ssd and 24GB of ddr2400 ram and both played flawlessly. But my Amd r2500u hp 360 black screens in both steam and gog version.. I do believe its an AMD issue....maybe vega 8 mobile can't handle a 10 year old game?

I don't know I just installed both crysis and warhead steam version on My Asus VR laptop I7 7700, 3gb 1060, 250 NVMe boot 2tb Micron ssd and 24GB of ddr2400 ram and both played flawlessly. But my Amd r2500u hp 360 black screens in both steam and gog version.. I do believe its an AMD issue....maybe vega 8 mobile can't handle a 10 year old game?
disable any and all overlays, monitors and dvr software.

i just installed crysis on a I5 haswell portable with only intel hd and crysis runs fine.....WTF is going on the Vega i definitely more powerful than intel hd?

i just installed crysis on a I5 haswell portable with only intel hd and crysis runs fine.....WTF is going on the Vega i definitely more powerful than intel hd?
doesn't mean theres some thing wrong with vega. try looking at what running in the background. maybe edit the ini so it runs in windowed mode, see if there is a background popup or message. like how people just had issues with forza "freezing" and only showing a static pic, there was an xbox login box behind it.

I'm putting my money on NVIDIA Optimus. Ensure GPU drivers are current and then check that Optimus is working properly. I don't know if Optimus is still a thing, but that seems to be a common issue with laptops and NVIDIA GPUs.

Can you right-click on the Crysis shortcuts and select NVIDIA or Optimus options from the context menu? If so, ensure those are enabled or forced.

I'm putting my money on NVIDIA Optimus. Ensure GPU drivers are current and then check that Optimus is working properly. I don't know if Optimus is still a thing, but that seems to be a common issue with laptops and NVIDIA GPUs.

Can you right-click on the Crysis shortcuts and select NVIDIA or Optimus options from the context menu? If so, ensure those are enabled or forced.
h'e talking about his hp ryzen laptop. his intel ones are working fine. which is why he's assuming it a problem with vega graphics.

I have both the Steam version and the Gog version neither of which work with my R2500u Ryzen laptop. Now I can run Doom, all the Wolfenstiens. Borderlands, Prototypes, Fears and all he 3Dmarks test without any issues. I've done a bunch of downloads of cracked 64 bins etc, etc. Renamed and moved around folder, files etc. Verified both steam and gog ,absolutely nothing has worked. But the games worked even on a lowly I5 ideapad with only 8gb ram and Intel hd graphics? WTDF? I filed a support ticket with gog and they said thanks heres what you sent us have a nice day. Worthless tech support....There has to be something different in these games that do NOT like AMD graphics. As Sherlock Holmes said eliminate the impossible and the improbable has to be true.. Perhaps because the game was optimized for Nvidia it will never run right on AMD and neither GOG nor Steam will force Electronic Asshats to fix it.....Fortunately i Just bought these last night wanted the no DRM version, Guess I just got a Non DRM non working.........OF COURSE ITS A PROBLEM WITH AMD Graphics there is no other logical conclusion.....!!! Next step I will force a refund. Crying shame I that can't run these games on x360 laptop.

ive run them on amd cards without issue, plenty of people have. so you need to figure out what the issue is on your laptop, which is most likely a software issue.

2400g:

2500u

Well at this time it has become a exercise in frustration. One time last night I got warhead to the menu screen but no mouse pointer and the screen was way off center. I don't know how I did it and I could not get it to work a second time. Your probably right that something is running in the back ground that is interfering withe the game....

Got warhead working but only in windowed mode you have to hold down control key when booting game. once you save you are good to go. Trick does not appear to work on crysis....

well I went to EA Origin I actually have a disc of Crysis and EA in a chat honored the code and gave me a free copy of the latest version. Hopefully this EA version will work only three hours to download think I will ask gog for store credit.....

I don't care what anyone says there is some intrinsic incompatibility in this game. I can run it on Nvidia with no issues but Vega no? At this point I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. This is the latest version straight from EA and it still won't run.. or maybe as I have read AMD doesn't properly support DX9 anymore..........

I don't care what anyone says there is some intrinsic incompatibility in this game. I can run it on Nvidia with no issues but Vega no? At this point I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. This is the latest version straight from EA and it still won't run.. or maybe as I have read AMD doesn't properly support DX9 anymore..........
I posted a video of a 2500u running it, so its possible, prob dx10 mode. you try that yet? check in the ini. there is a list of dx9 games with issues, crysis(dx9) is on it.

when it first starts a cmd prompt window shows and dx10 is displayed so it is trying to run dx10. I have reinstalled all the dx libraries run dx web install. Tried all the forum tricks. I have run out of ideas....

Finally got Crysis running but only in windowed mode and using a border less windows app. Activated framework 2.0 and 3.0. Or I might just have got lucky.....

Finally got Crysis running but only in windowed mode and using a border less windows app. Activated framework 2.0 and 3.0. Or I might just have got lucky.....
Since you got them both working in windowed mode, maybe it is the refresh rate that is the issue? Crysis didn't allow you to pick a refresh rate, and it always picked the first or lowest refresh rate available (typically 24 Hz). Does AMD have a driver feature like NVIDIA that allows you to force the highest available refresh rate?

Last time I tried to run Crysis on a modern PC I had all sorts of issues. Per some of their own forum postings, the culprit is related to their own video intro. It's a legit 24hz. and on a lot of monitors and TV's, it'll trigger that refresh rate and it won't swap back. Monitors that can't show it, basically just sit on a black screen. Those that can require a lot off tinkering to get them to snap out of it.
Borderless Gaming is apparently a godsend and can fix that issue, but I remember people were claiming Warhead is a lost cause for most setups.

I'm tempted to give it a go just to see if the new RTX cards can finally reach the "holy grail" of 4K/Max Details/60fps.

I'm tempted to give it a go just to see if the new RTX cards can finally reach the "holy grail" of 4K/Max Details/60fps.

I booted this up like a year ago and was shocked at the meh performance....

Like "Really?!?"

Back