Crysis 2 DX11 Tessellation & High-Res Texture Pack @ [H]

But the focus of the article were on the "TONS" (Steve's word in a reply to me a while back) of people suffering from the problems, ignoring of course the TONS that didn't have problems with it and still branded the patch process as FAIL.

Much like the reaction to "no DX11 support at launch", the patch problems are being severely exaggerated. But that's how sensationalism rolls...

There are currently more than 15 pages of people complaining on the Crytek 1.9 FAQ page that lists all the errors (still not fixed). And that is just one location.

Obviously you won't see ANYONE having issues with your head buried in the sand but that is neither here nor there. I 'm not sure who appointed you to the "Defender of Crysis 2" but I am ready to install a 25 post per thread limit just to give other people a chance to talk.

Jebus man, give it a rest, let other people defend Crytek for a while. :eek:

I'm starting to get artifacts in the game. I noticed especially that there are strange black squares appearing on the alien ships.

Anyone else experiencing artifacts?

So it was explained to me the reason sheep backup against things, is because they are afraid of getting butt raped, could this explain why the crysis 2 sheeples are getting all defensive? they don't want to admit to having gotten butt raped by Crytek....

What about the Stalker series?

I think Stalker is one of the very few that could be mentioned. I just don't understand what Crysis 2 if being compared to that gives it a "pile of shit" rating. The sensationalism is ridiculous.

I don't like console games in general. I can't stand playing a FPS with joysticks. I feel that the graphics often look outdated. Yet I don't call all console games loads of steaming horse shit. In fact, I can tell you that consoles are great for playing with friends, are great for parties, are perfect for people without the technical knowledge to keep upgrading a custom built computer.

Why don't you hear "Well, Crysis 2 lacks the open-world gameplay of the original, but at least it's not quite as linear as other FPS games these days." Or "Crysis 2 doesn't have the best graphics ever, but they're still better than 98% of other games and it runs silky smooth." Instead, it's "Crysis 2 is the worst game ever, Crytek is the devil." There is a complete lack of objectivity regarding this game for some reason, and it's saddening and frustrating to see.

I just gotta say, if you feel like losing $40-$60 on a subpar game is akin to butt rape, perhaps you should seek a hobby more in line with your income.

Kyle and Steve, I dont own crysis 2 but I have played crysis many times. From your screenshots it doesnt look any better than the old crysis on all very high settings. It didnt have Teselation but at the same time it didnt seem to need it. I dont know if they were using some form of bump mapping or what but with very high settings it cirtanly had a teselated look to the rocks and crap on the ground. Example comes to mind, the lake in the middle of the tank field. Why didnt they make cry2 dx10/11 instead of dx 9/11? Shots you post of dx9 look kinda crappy. I will definately wait on this game till it drops to 29 bucks or less.

I'm starting to get artifacts in the game. I noticed especially that there are strange black squares appearing on the alien ships.

Anyone else experiencing artifacts?

Never mind, problem solved. By putting "Particles" back from Ultra to Extreme the artifacts went away.

The people complaining about the article are funny to me for a reason. [H] is known for focusing on real world testing and results, they posted exactly that from start to finish.

It just so happens that it doesn't coincide with your perspective or agenda so you'll bash on it, them, and accuse them of bias.

As far as I can tell, those screenshots with the patch problems aren't biased at all, because it shows the fact that they had problems with it.

As for the game looking better or worse, that's a matter of personal opinion. But all in all, it wasn't that good a game to begin with, so it doesn't matter much that this patch came out.

what the hell?
some people got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning :)
if someone pees in your cheerios, just throw it out and get a new bowl!

Before the patch:
Average modern fps gameplay(which is sadly pretty bad, linearity and bad ai)
Above Average Graphics(with a lot of variance, extremely good along the "beaten" path, some poor textures off)

After the patch:
same gameplay
better graphics with less variance
not worth replaying the entire game for

if this game had been released with a different title, and yerli had stfu it would have been better received.

I don't regret paying $30 for it, but I'm not jumping for joy either.

Where did you get this game for $30? It's still on EA for $60. I might pay $30 for it if I can find it someplace for that.

Where did you get this game for $30? It's still on EA for $60. I might pay $30 for it if I can find it someplace for that.

Best Buy most likely, one of my RL friends picked it up for that much on Monday or Tuesday and played through a bit of it.

He kept crapping on about how bad the alien AI is, maybe I'll point him to this thread so he can post in it, he doesn't post much.

Keep an eye on the Hotdeals forum; there was a site selling CD keys to then DL the game through Origins, was able to pick up the game for only $16. Which may have helped my more positive reception to the game.

Origins and D2D had it for $29.99 a week ago.
I got mine from iOffer for $12. A much cheaper price somewhat makes the game better, since expectations are lowered.

You see, its almost point and click :D:D

Mine (from Origins/EADM) was... I patched to 1.9 by simply running the game launcher, downloaded the patches, installed them, and launched the game, that was it :). I paid $16 for it (missed the $12 key), love the game and feel it was worth more than that but I'm not complaining :D. DX11/high-res enabled automatically for me with an in-game prompt on the very next launch. I don't particularly care that not all agree the game was fun and looked great... just inserting my two pennies as well since that's all the rage :D, my gameplay is unaffected ;).

Mine (from Origins/EADM) was... I patched to 1.9 by simply running the game launcher, downloaded the patches, installed them, and launched the game, that was it :). I paid $16 for it (missed the $12 key), love the game and feel it was worth more than that but I'm not complaining :D. DX11/high-res enabled automatically for me with an in-game prompt on the very next launch. I don't particularly care that not all agree the game was fun and looked great... just inserting my two pennies as well since that's all the rage :D, my gameplay is unaffected ;).

That is awesome bro. Believe it or not, those are the kind of stories we like to hear...trust me, no one liked the horror story route we (and many others) had.

:)

For those of you that patch to 1.9 through EA Downloader/Origin and then you install the hi-res and texture packs:

If you try to launch the game through Origin/EA downloader, your game may appear as if it is loading and then it never launches.

Go to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crysis® 2\bin32 folder and run the Crysis2Launcher.exe manually and the game will start and run fine.

Game is $40 now. Still not buying. Waiting until it hits $20 before I buy. I won't be a long wait...

But I am just perplexed by all of the people saying they were "fucked" by Crytek over Crysis 2. There was plenty of information about the consolization of this game well prior to release as well as a demo.

Though I have not been shouting this complaint myself, it´s fair to note that there was ZERO information on the nano-catalyst bug prior to release (a flaw that was fixed more than a week after release). You pick them up to be able to gather them for upgrades later. As the mechanics worked through my first and only play through, the nano-catalyst score would reset at random points, meaning I lost all my points and were unable to buy any upgrades through the game. Luckily the game is creepy easy, so they were needed.

Regarding this patch. I cannot be bothered to install it, since I lost any interest in playing this again. My experience of the game, disregarding bugs, was a very generic A > B > C routine. I got no vibe, no atmosphere, nothing visceral from jumping into this game world.

Thanks for the article Steve. IMO it´s not biased to point out install problems at all.

Last edited:
It's still a good game and the gameplay is stronger than the original. I find it baffling that people are essentially boycotting Crysis 2 because it didn't have DX11 out of the box and didn't set a new standard in graphics, yet Portal 2 gets free passes for its dated graphics and consolised on-screen prompts because graphics don't matter.

I also had no issues installing the packs. I ran the game first, it patched itself to 1.9 with no errors, then I installed the DX11 pack and then the high-res pack. No errors at all and the game set itself to Ultra and enabled the high res textures automatically.

I did find that I got better gameplay at 1920 x 1080 by going to extreme instead of ultra, but other than that I think the game looks way better now. :D

It's still a good game and the gameplay is stronger than the original. I find it baffling that people are essentially boycotting Crysis 2 because it didn't have DX11 out of the box and didn't set a new standard in graphics, yet Portal 2 gets free passes for its dated graphics and consolised on-screen prompts because graphics don't matter.

I agree. I thought the first part of Crysis 2 was alright/good, but the second half really puts you on a rollercoaster ride which got me entirely immersed into the game. I have to say that this is one of the things Crysis 2 has handled a lot better then it's predecessor IMHO. For me things actually got more interesting when the aliens finally did make their move. One of the things I liked was that you've not only have to deal with the "normal" aliens but that they also put some "general/leader" aliens inbetween them (with dark red coloring) which caught me by surprise a few times.

Despite some flaws in the story (at times it's just to much of a leap) and some bugs (floating dead soldiers for example) I do have to compliment Crytek with the way they've really tried to immerse you into the game. Even without DX 11 I was amazed by the cutscenes and the action scenes. At the very least I can commend them for putting a lot of work into it and to make the events as exciting as possible. I also was pretty awed with the design of the aliens.

Not only that, but I'm just now are discovering the replay value. In the first game I was especially using "Cloak" mode to bypass several points in the game. At my second playthrough I'm using "Armor" mode a lot more fighting out battles I would have avoided before.

There are currently more than 15 pages of people complaining on the Crytek 1.9 FAQ page that lists all the errors (still not fixed). And that is just one location.

Obviously you won't see ANYONE having issues with your head buried in the sand but that is neither here nor there. I 'm not sure who appointed you to the "Defender of Crysis 2" but I am ready to install a 25 post per thread limit just to give other people a chance to talk.

Jebus man, give it a rest, let other people defend Crytek for a while. :eek:

I'll only point you to this, since you clearly didn't read it (or chose to ignore it):

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037452797&postcount=295

I've clearly said that because I didn't have problems it doesn't mean others didn't have them. My problem is with the sensationalism in your so called "article".
And for that I'm called the "Defender of Crysis 2"...because I'm against sensationalism and hating on a game based on ridiculous arguments (like the "no DX11 I won't buy it" one),

It's also funny how you insist on counting the number of posts I made, yet don't count the posts that people I reply to made. Perhaps those made even more posts than I did ? No, that can't be...:rolleyes: You're too worried about the "Defender of Crysis 2", but not so much about the "Haters of Crysis 2" that basically fill this thread and the others...But that's how it works around here. There's no middle ground. it's either black or white. If you don't see the extremism and sensationalist in the way things are being presented in the article, then there's really no point in pursuing another argument, since we'll just be repeating ourselves.

Oh I've been called the "Valve hater" so many times because I've made similar points...Again, it's how it goes around here. Double Standards and drama over a graphics API or a patch process that has some problems, but only for "some" developers of course...

I installed the patches with no issues whatsoever.

I'll only point you to this, since you clearly didn't read it (or chose to ignore it):

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037452797&postcount=295

I've clearly said that because I didn't have problems it doesn't mean others didn't have them. My problem is with the sensationalism in your so called "article".
And for that I'm called the "Defender of Crysis 2"...because I'm against sensationalism and hating on a game based on ridiculous arguments (like the "no DX11 I won't buy it" one),

It's also funny how you insist on counting the number of posts I made, yet don't count the posts that people I reply to made. Perhaps those made even more posts than I did ? No, that can't be...:rolleyes: You're too worried about the "Defender of Crysis 2", but not so much about the "Haters of Crysis 2" that basically fill this thread and the others...But that's how it works around here. There's no middle ground. it's either black or white. If you don't see the extremism and sensationalist in the way things are being presented in the article, then there's really no point in pursuing another argument, since we'll just be repeating ourselves.

Nobody has to justify their reasons for liking or disliking a game to you, nobody has to justify why they do or don't buy a game. Both of those are personal decisions and opinions, if you don't like them, tough shit.

You're of course free to express your opinion, but of course that doesn't mean that anybody has an obligation to agree with you. If you can't handle other people not agreeing with your opinion, then I'm not sure how you're going to make it through life, since that's something you will encounter quite often as you travel through the rigors of life.

Nobody has to justify their reasons for liking or disliking a game to you, nobody has to justify why they do or don't buy a game. Both of those are personal decisions and opinions, if you don't like them, tough shit.

You're of course free to express your opinion, but of course that doesn't mean that anybody has an obligation to agree with you. If you can't handle other people not agreeing with your opinion, then I'm not sure how you're going to make it through life, since that's something you will encounter quite often as you travel through the rigors of life.

Pot meet kettle

If you don't see the extremism..

Oh I saw it alright, and I pointed it out....the extremism I see is when ONE person feels like they have to dominated the thread, defend every post, insult other forum members and champion a game they didn't make.

YOU have made almost 10% of all the posts in a thread of 350+ responses...jesus fuck dude. :rolleyes:

And you wonder why no one takes you serious?

Pot meet kettle

Incorrect, I don't really have a problem with what other people think, I don't mind debating the merits of their views though as opposed to mine, that's the difference between me and you, I also don't resort to personal attacks when things don't go my way.

Alright, let's not turn this into a personal back and forth rofum member flame war.

Back on topic please.

Alright, let's not turn this into a personal back and forth rofum member flame war.

Back on topic please.

Wait, what was the topic again? :p

OT

I have not played this game yet and after all this I think I am going to wait till it hits 20 bucks or so. I will be honest, from those screen shots I had a really hard time telling the difference on quite a few of them. Must be my old eyes.

The difference is there but subtle. IMO, it already looked pretty good from a design/artistic perspective, but the shortcuts and cut-corners were definitely visible. Some bad things are visible even after the updates, so it's not all of a sudden "perfect" by any means.

The difference is there but subtle. IMO, it already looked pretty good from a design/artistic perspective, but the shortcuts and cut-corners were definitely visible. Some bad things are visible even after the updates, so it's not all of a sudden "perfect" by any means.

hehe well glad it's not just my broke ass eyes than. :)

Back