Crysis 2 DX11 Tessellation & High-Res Texture Pack @ [H]

If reviewers starting with dishing out lower scores for when games are still in "beta" or still need patching or just don't deliver on marketing propaganda just give it 1/10 on default.

I can't help to think about how most companies operate with release 1st patch later , windows 95 springs to mind.

Game developers are now more and more focused on making money instead of making a decent product. Sadly there are to many examples across the board from PC to console ....

In that case, the bitching and moaning about how with the new patches Crysis 2 can no longer be run @ 2560x1600 everything maxed and 60 fps would increase in volume. I'm imagining pitch forks and torches towards Crytek's HQ :rolleyes:

The difference you fail to understand is that lack of quality graphics is a fairly legit complaint where as complaining of performance because your PC isn't fast enough is NOT a legit complaint (unless you can prove the game is significantly unoptimised, and no one ever has!)

It's like saying I have 2 friends, one who's a psycho and one who's perfectly normal, the pyscho guy is upset that I don't go around murdering people, and my normal friend is upset when I do murder people so how can I possibly make both friends happy?! One of those positions is unreasonable, you have to acknowledge that.

Crytek should not be interested in making everyone happy because some peoples expectations are so unreasonable they cannot be met. Some people want better graphics and then bitch when they run slow, those people are idiots and should be ignored, they do not have a valid complaint and we need to call those people out on their bullshit.

They need to focus on offering a range of graphics settings, the bigger the range the better, if some rambling little tard cannot possibly cope by setting his graphics slider to 8 instead of 10 then fuck him.

Simple matter of fact is that if they didn't like the game and thought it was bad they have the right to say so. I'm sorry that you'll who thought the game was manna from heaven are so upset that a website didn't like your game. But everyone is entitled to opinions. And they are entitled to express them as they see fit.

The guy that is calling Kyle a kid and telling him to get an education, yet can't afford 2 copies of Fear 3 to play with his brother is pretty fail. Sorry I tried to help you in that other thread. The guys trying to make Kyle say the game is great because they said so are hilarious. The threats to never come back because Kyle doesn't like their game are even more win.

Personally I would have preferred that Crytek put out a game that more people liked. But alas that didn't happen. Consolitis, linearity, lack of promised DX 11 at launch, etc killed the experience for many. That's simply why they don't like the game. No amount of pointing at screenshots, playing youtube videos, or grandstanding will change that.

Obviously many people simply don't like or appreciate Crytek's vision for Crysis 2. And trying to bash someone for having problems patching the game using Crytek's patcher and reporting their experiences is not going to fly. Especially when it is a known issue as acknowledged by Crytek.

Consolitis, linearity, lack of promised DX 11 at launch, etc killed the experience for many.

For f*cks sake.....they NEVER promised DX11 support in the game at launch! Stop spreading that bullshit...

The problem with all this is that the game (inparticular the alien AI) is crap. So no matter how much you polish it, a turd remains just that, a turd.

Of far more interest, is what Crytek think of their , now finished, product and what they're gonna do next. Crysis 3(in LA/London/Paris?) or something completely different? And will their next game be a console to PC port or will they follow in BF3's footsteps and port PC to console?

The difference you fail to understand is that lack of quality graphics is a fairly legit complaint where as complaining of performance because your PC isn't fast enough is NOT a legit complaint (unless you can prove the game is significantly unoptimised, and no one ever has!)

So you're saying that Crysis 2 didn't have quality graphics ? Are they worse than say Portal 2 ? Or Brink ? (both games use extremely old engines - Source Engine and id Tech 4)...actually pick one multi-platform game that looks as good on all platforms, as Crysis 2.

Screenshots alone are enough to prove that point (and screenshots from before any of the Crysis 2 DX11 and high-res patches).

To say that it doesn't have the best graphics ever is one thing. Saying that it didn't have quality graphics is quite another.

PrincessFrosty said:
It's like saying I have 2 friends, one who's a psycho and one who's perfectly normal, the pyscho guy is upset that I don't go around murdering people, and my normal friend is upset when I do murder people so how can I possibly make both friends happy?! One of those positions is unreasonable, you have to acknowledge that.

Although your analogy sucks, I've been saying just that. That the position of not buying a game because it doesn't support DX11 is not only extremist and unreasonable, but actually quite ridiculous.

PrincessFrosty said:
Crytek should not be interested in making everyone happy because some peoples expectations are so unreasonable they cannot be met. Some people want better graphics and then bitch when they run slow, those people are idiots and should be ignored, they do not have a valid complaint and we need to call those people out on their bullshit.

They need to focus on offering a range of graphics settings, the bigger the range the better, if some rambling little tard cannot possibly cope by setting his graphics slider to 8 instead of 10 then fuck him.

Precisely. So it seems we are in agreement after all.

What is the best looking PC game and is using most DX 11 features right now? - Probably Crysis 2 with the latest patches installed. For that it should earn some respect imo, even here.

I don’t see how one can feel “fucked” or betrayed by purchasing the game. There was a demo before release, something most developers don’t even bother to do these days.

I thought the gameplay was quite entertaining and solid, at least arguably better than the typical super linear cod clones, even if I liked the first cysis more, because the more open gameworld provided me a better feeling of immersion.

But as a gamer one can easily feel like an idiot reading here and still liking the game with all the hate the editors are gushing over the game. A vocal and foul language will always earn the respect of some, probably more will be put off by it or the lack of objectivity or journalism.

Articles like this tend to shrink the PC gaming fan base even more, and developers at Crytek, who were involved in making this patch, will probably also feel like idiots and think twice in the future.

For what should I buy all the here advertised gaming hardware, if the games I like get ridiculed like that?

The problem with all this is that the game (inparticular the alien AI) is crap. So no matter how much you polish it, a turd remains just that, a turd.

Of far more interest, is what Crytek think of their , now finished, product and what they're gonna do next. Crysis 3(in LA/London/Paris?) or something completely different? And will their next game be a console to PC port or will they follow in BF3's footsteps and port PC to console?

Crytek released a PC exclusive 4 years ago and got as much flak as they are getting now...

Also, BF3's footsteps ? The game is not even released. Wait for it to e released, or you might be setting yourself up for a disappointment. BF3 is a multi-platform game after all. If they are going to actually follow what they've been saying about BF3 being a PC game first and console second, is something that remains to be seen.

What is the best looking PC game and is using most DX 11 features right now? - Probably Crysis 2 with the latest patches installed. For that it should earn some respect imo, even here.

Surely is Crysis 2, I'm playing it and its incredibly better than Crysis in terms of graphics.
Illuminations, penumbra, shadows, POM, tessellation, its simply the best looking game seen on a PC.

For f*cks sake.....they NEVER promised DX11 support in the game at launch! Stop spreading that bullshit...

So what you're saying is that if Kyle were to delete this thread tomorrow and his comments from the other threads about Crysis 2, then he never said that the game sucked? Because that's why Crytek did. Deleted the youtube video bragging about DX 11 and hell even Nvidia had a page bragging about the DX 11 in Crysis 2 days before launch. Launch came and we got DX 9, and console game play. But we should STFU and stop bullshitting people because they deleted the evidence? Or maybe your delusional ass should get a clue.

Or maybe you didn't follow the game like others did, and based our expectations on what Crytek was saying. I know next time that whatever comes out of that studio will be smoke and mirrors to generate sales. And a complete waste of people's time and energy to review garbage.

+1 to the [H] for doing a great article on something that peeved a lot of people off.
Crytek can shove the 'gift' sideways because I'm not buying into their marketing hype again. DX11 was promised and not delivered, it's as easy as that.
DICE made some bad patches for BF2 too btw so I'm very wary of BF3 multi... unfortunately I know how addictive BF2 multi was

So what you're saying is that if Kyle were to delete this thread tomorrow and his comments from the other threads about Crysis 2, then he never said that the game sucked? Because that's why Crytek did. Deleted the youtube video bragging about DX 11 and hell even Nvidia had a page bragging about the DX 11 in Crysis 2 days before launch. Launch came and we got DX 9, and console game play. But we should STFU and stop bullshitting people because they deleted the evidence? Or maybe your delusional ass should get a clue.

Or maybe you didn't follow the game like others did, and based our expectations on what Crytek was saying. I know next time that whatever comes out of that studio will be smoke and mirrors to generate sales. And a complete waste of people's time and energy to review garbage.

So you're saying that the only evidence of the "promised DX11" was a youtube video ? There's no statement or something else by Crytek (the actual developer of the game, those that know what they did) to prove it...just a video that is no longer available ? LOL...ok

But let's assume for a minute that that video did exist, did it ever cross your mind that Crytek pulled it because they didn't want to compromise with something they would not deliver at launch ?

I'm guessing you didn't, given your conspiracy theories that Crytek pulled the video (if it ever existed) just to piss on PC Gamers or whatever the theory is now AFTER they delivered what they promised ONLY AFTER the game was released.

And those comments about how "you know" that what comes next from Crytek will just be smoke and mirrors and also garbage are extremely funny...They're funny because I keep calling retarded, stupid and ridiculous to all those comments about "no DX11, I won't buy it" followed by "it has DX11 now, but it runs like shit", yet there are still people making even more ridiculous comments...supported on foresight at that! It's really priceless!

+1 to the [H] for doing a great article on something that peeved a lot of people off.
Crytek can shove the 'gift' sideways because I'm not buying into their marketing hype again. DX11 was promised and not delivered, it's as easy as that.

Not delivered ? Did you miss the first post or even the article that you say is great ?

I have surfed this forum for years and have come to the conclusion that I will not be coming back. Nor will I tell friends and family to do so. Kyle's lack of professionalism and foul language is a huge turnoff to me. Kyle claims that he is not a journalist nor a game reviewer, but "just a PC gamer with a bully pulpit.The reality is a little different sir. You have many people who rely on your site to make informed and accurate decisions about hardware and gaming purchases. Mnay times your percieved credibility will sway me to buy a new piece of hardware or purchase a game. If that is not the function of a reviewer or journalistic site then what is? In addition it seems to me that you ally yourself with players in the industry such as AMD for your BIG TEXAS EVENT.;) Would a company like AMD affiliate itself with a "pc gamer with a bully pulpit." Kyle, it's time you recognize your responsibilities and position of influence. You can start with conducting yourself a little more professionally........PLEASE CANCEL MY ACCOUNT I'M HEADING OVER TO ANANDTECH.:)

LOL!!!

Like I said. I will never, ever, support their company. If they expect anyone from my household or a friend of mine to purchase their products, stop holding their breath. I don't like playing console ports, but will make exceptions if the game play is top notch. Crysis 2 isn't a notch above any other FPS that is out today. I wouldn't drop BF:BC2 to play it. Hell I even bought MoH, and as garbage as that game is to me I wouldn't buy Crysis 2 to supplant it.

I will never purchase a Crytek product in the future. You can quote me on that!

And as far as them changing their stance 3 weeks before the game is launched, that's just dirty business. At least 3 weeks before launch they could have come out with a statement stating that they didn't meet a deadline for implementing DX 11. On launch day Nvidia still had their Crysis 2 DX 11 page up.

So what you're saying is that I was supposed to infer that it was going to be DX 9 because of what warning? The demo that most people figured was streamlined for size? Or the official statement touting DX 9 only features that never materialized? Since when is it ok to brag about shit that's going to be in your game then cut it out at the last minute and not tell anyone?

False advertising to me. And lies come from shady companies.

Crytek NEVER promised that Crysis 2 would have DX11 support. Some people just assumed that it would and when it didn't, they bitched that Crytek lied...

This is a BIG bone of contention for the Crysis 2 bashers. Kyle claims that there is or was a video out where Crytek claimed that Crysis 2 would have DX 11 support at launch. I've never seen this video but even though I think [H] has gone WAY to far with Crytek bashing I've never known them to blatantly lie.

I'm guessing that Crytek did promise DX 11 at launch and simply put it on the back burner for then sake of consoles. In this matter I can see why and PC gamers would be upset, yet another PC game being consolized, indeed the game that was the technical benchmark for PC gaming for years.

Game still crashes with DX11 and High res textures on as soon as I load a game. I am running dual GTX 580s. Oh well, I only installed it just to see the differences, I had no intention of playing back through.

This is a BIG bone of contention for the Crysis 2 bashers. Kyle claims that there is or was a video out where Crytek claimed that Crysis 2 would have DX 11 support at launch. I've never seen this video but even though I think [H] has gone WAY to far with Crytek bashing I've never known them to blatantly lie.

I'm guessing that Crytek did promise DX 11 at launch and simply put it on the back burner for then sake of consoles. In this matter I can see why and PC gamers would be upset, yet another PC game being consolized, indeed the game that was the technical benchmark for PC gaming for years.

Yea, but like I said if the game play was better than other FPS, nobody would really care. Of course someone would bellyache and lament some, but the game play would make the game shine. Of course some people do like it and are entitled to their opinions about it. I'm not impressed myself, but I was expecting more from Crytek.

I just don't see where it is leaps above anything out today. And being forced to walk down corridors doesn't help with responses! Panzer Dragoon was fun back in the day; but that day has past.

:)

I couldn't care less if it is a big bone of contention for the Crysis 2 haters, if it's based on "there was a video" with no links or "I heard someone say there was a promise" but no links...

It's common practice to link to evidence of what you're saying. Just saying it, creates the burden of proof on your end. If that video existed and so many people saw it, where is it ? If it existed someone must have it...it's very easy to download videos from youtube or some other streaming video site. I have all the Crysis 2 promotion videos. The "Be the weapon" and all that. I also have the CryEngine 3 tech-demo video and there's nothing about DX11...there's no statement from Crytek on it. Even if it was deleted by Crytek on their sites, they couldn't delete it on other sites and information like this always goes viral, spreading everywhere.

So in essence, let's see that video or any proof that Crytek DID promise DX11 support before the release of Crysis 2.

Like I said. I will never, ever, support their company. If they expect anyone from my household or a friend of mine to purchase their products, stop holding their breath. I don't like playing console ports, but will make exceptions if the game play is top notch. Crysis 2 isn't a notch above any other FPS that is out today. I wouldn't drop BF:BC2 to play it. Hell I even bought MoH, and as garbage as that game is to me I wouldn't buy Crysis 2 to supplant it.

I will never purchase a Crytek product in the future. You can quote me on that!

And as far as them changing their stance 3 weeks before the game is launched, that's just dirty business. At least 3 weeks before launch they could have come out with a statement stating that they didn't meet a deadline for implementing DX 11. On launch day Nvidia still had their Crysis 2 DX 11 page up.

So what you're saying is that I was supposed to infer that it was going to be DX 9 because of what warning? The demo that most people figured was streamlined for size? Or the official statement touting DX 9 only features that never materialized? Since when is it ok to brag about shit that's going to be in your game then cut it out at the last minute and not tell anyone?

False advertising to me. And lies come from shady companies.

Nvidia and crytek are seperate entities. Just because one is dumb and advertised something doesn't mean the other is in on it. Look at the shitstorm that BF3 faced because EA marketing is fucking retarded and kept pushing some stupid weapon pack for preorder. That wasn't DICE's idea or doing, but publisher want so publisher get. I'm pretty sure I watched every trailer that they released up until the game came out and I never once saw DX11 being touted. Engine features, yes, but definitely no mention of DX11.

Shit gets cut all the time in game development and the timeframes / cruching was probably brutal as is. I wouldn't doubt that they had people sleeping in office to get the game out the door. I'm sure developers would like infinite time but it doesn't work that way, I doubt even Crytek got to say DONE FUCK YEAH EVERY SINGLE THING CHECKED OFF THE LIST TIME TO RELEASE.

Well Nvidia had a page up also extolling the virtues of Crysis 2 DX 11. Since they worked hand in hand with Crytek I would assume that they had an idea that it was supposed to be there also. Or maybe Crytek fooled them also; who knows! :rolleyes:

I personally don't save game trailers on my PC; I do watch them for 5 minutes of enjoyment and to see what I should be expecting if I want to support a company. But I've never downloaded a game trailer or director's commentary for a game.

I'm not that type of person.

Nvidia and crytek are seperate entities. Just because one is dumb and advertised something doesn't mean the other is in on it. Look at the shitstorm that BF3 faced because EA marketing is fucking retarded and kept pushing some stupid weapon pack for preorder. That wasn't DICE's idea or doing, but publisher want so publisher get. I'm pretty sure I watched every trailer that they released up until the game came out and I never once saw DX11 being touted. Engine features, yes, but definitely no mention of DX11.

Shit gets cut all the time in game development and the timeframes / cruching was probably brutal as is. I wouldn't doubt that they had people sleeping in office to get the game out the door. I'm sure developers would like infinite time but it doesn't work that way, I doubt even Crytek got to say DONE FUCK YEAH EVERY SINGLE THING CHECKED OFF THE LIST TIME TO RELEASE.

Sorry but discs have to be pressed to be sold at retail. They knew what was on those discs for at least a month before the launch. Or do you believe that they sent them to be pressed and the publisher deleted DX 11 off them?

*cues X Files music*

Or maybe they fooled Nvidia that they were going to have DX 11 at launch and couldn't deliver. Thus Nvidia should have egg on their faces for making the Crysis 2 DX 11 page when it was never intended. I mean Nvidia probably never helped with the game right? So they wouldn't know what was supposed to be in there either. And just made the page for marketing purposes. So they could look like buffoons.

Sorry but discs have to be pressed to be sold at retail. They knew what was on those discs for at least a month before the launch. Or do you believe that they sent them to be pressed and the publisher deleted DX 11 off them?

*cues X Files music*

Or maybe they fooled Nvidia that they were going to have DX 11 at launch and couldn't deliver. Thus Nvidia should have egg on their faces for making the Crysis 2 DX 11 page when it was never intended. I mean Nvidia probably never helped with the game right? So they wouldn't know what was supposed to be in there either. And just made the page for marketing purposes. So they could look like buffoons.

So now the contention of the "promise Crytek" made is no longer on this mystical DX11 video that was deleted...it's on NVIDIA's side, because they apparently made some sites referencing DX11 in Crysis 2...

I think the X-Files music should definitely cue at any time anyone comes up with these conspiracy theories with no proof...let's see that NVIDIA page then. If it existed, google's cache may still have it. You just need to look at the correct timestamp...Since the mystical DX11 video is so hard to come by...the only bastion of hope for the "Crytek promise" is a site made by NVIDIA.......nothing ridiculous about that, since NVIDIA developed Crysis 2 and not Crytek!...:rolleyes:

Here we are again. Another letdown for PC gamers.
I didn’t buy crysis 2 yet, waiting for the bargain bin price.
Don’t blame crytek, blame Microsoft, they are holding all the cards.
When the next xbox is released, PC gamers will be held to those limitations for years, even though our pc’s will be 2 or 3 generations ahead.
Microsoft didnt make the game, but they made cross platform debacle for pc gamers.

stuff, stuff, I wear Crysis 2 underoos, something about the X-Files, stuff, stuff

Holy cow man, 40 posts in two Crysis 2 threads in two days (11 of them in this thread alone) :eek:

Our opinions of this game aside, the fact of the matter is the patch is horribly broken. Is that, or is that not the facts? The official site has a dozen different (all unsolved) ways the patch can / will break your game. We encountered 80% of those errors on two machines over a four and a half hour period. FAIL is what the patch did.

Tons of people are complaining of the same symptoms / errors and the company has updated its FAQ to acknowledge those errors.

I understand how this can upset you and force you to make a dozen posts in this thread defending the game but the facts are the patch is broken for TONS of people, we pointed that out, the company has now acknowledged it in its FAQ.

There is no need to champion / white knight Crytek in this case, they have admitted the patch is broken. You are only insulting the people that are suffering through the broken patch. What more can you possibly say after THE COMPANY says "whoops, our shit is broke"?

Could someone link me to where Crytek promised that Crysis 2 would be DX11?

Was there in video along with NV's DX11 page......and NV "owns" this title.

I have surfed this forum for years and have come to the conclusion that I will not be coming back.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

There was a demo and you yourself posted weeks before the game was released that it was DX 9 only and then there was all of the rumbling about how crappy the demo was.

To base any kind of conclusions on demo or beta software is just irresponsible. I have been doing this for a LONG time and have seen many occasions where the demo/beta/shareware did not truly portray the quality of the finished product. To assume so is well, an assumption, and we all know where assuming gets you.

Fantastic summing up!

Thank you sir.

you should learn education, a public role requires education and respect, are you a kid?

A kid at heart that still loves to play shooter games! :D And please do no oppress me with what you think I should be. I never asked you to come here or read this, and quite frankly I don't care if you ever come back. So take your ideals of what I am supposed to be doing to please you and stuff those up your ass sideways.

I LOVE Hardocp because you guys actually have an opinion and you aren't scared of pissing people off.

NVIDIA pulled it Crysis 2 ads from us over all this original hubbub. We lost a lot of money for sticking to our opinions and sharing those publicly. Oh well. Ain't gonna start curtailing my thoughts now over a few mad forum posters or ad money. That biz model has worked for 13 years and I am not changing it now.

"Sheep" comes to mind, but so be it.

Maybe you are the sheep? Consider that seeing as we are in the minority of what has been said about it. You give it an 8/10 too. ;)

I think you are the one that needs to get a grasp on reality.

I thought the gameplay was quite entertaining and solid, at least arguably better than the typical super linear cod clones, even if I liked the first cysis more, because the more open gameworld provided me a better feeling of immersion.

But as a gamer one can easily feel like an idiot reading here and still liking the game with all the hate the editors are gushing over the game. A vocal and foul language will always earn the respect of some, probably more will be put off by it or the lack of objectivity or journalism.

Articles like this tend to shrink the PC gaming fan base even more, and developers at Crytek, who were involved in making this patch, will probably also feel like idiots and think twice in the future.

For what should I buy all the here advertised gaming hardware, if the games I like get ridiculed like that?

Glad you felt as though you got your money's worth. I think that is a great thing. I do not feel that way however.

If my opinion makes you feel like an idiot, well, I am pretty sure I am well adjusted enough to understand that not all folks will share my opinion. If you are an adult, you should understand this. Was not journalism, just an editorial post. We are not game reviewers. We are hardware guys that like to play games and we shared our opinion, sorry it made you feel like an idiot.

If articles like this kill PC Gaming, so be it. Games like this are what is truly killing PC gaming. The fact of the matter is that it should not have even been released on PC. Crytek is no longer a PC gaming content company. It should have put itself into a middleware role a long time ago. Same thing id should have done as well.

And no, there is not reason to buy gaming hardware if there are no games to play. But sitting around and getting fed shit and saying nothing is surely not going to impact the industry positively.

Tessellation in this is not impressive at all to me (I don't think FPS games need it since... I don't want to stop and gawk at the ground, I want to rush forward and destroy, use those cycles for physics/destruction). Ugly lumps on the road and rubble. Look at how that flat, low-res trash texture (or maybe it's geometry, kinda looks like it has dimension) distorts with the water. And is a puddle really going to move like that anyways? "Hi-res" textures would have actually been nice if they were hi-res, because I'm having a hard time telling the difference and understanding what that extra gig and a half is doing... aside from adding GPU stress without much to show for it.

I didn't really care much about the update and/or if it happened, but damn, day late and a dollar short for Crytek.

For AMD CrossFire users, CatalystCreator tweeted this earlier:

Crysis 2 DX11 CrossFire profile update will be in next weeks CAP update

IMho, even if this game would look like a CGI running at 10FPS at 1024x768, people would bitch because it have a console version.

IMHO the biggest missing feature is MSAA... apart from that, it look very nice with the Dx11 patch (witch i didn't have any problem installing)

I just don't get some of the responses I'm seeing here.

Folks, there's no such thing as NOT having a bias. That's life. That's reality.

Furthermore: This is a privately owned site. These guys can do whatever the hell they want but at least if they post their opinions they document and back up what they're saying down to videos which is more than I can see for the most of the rest of you or even myself. I don't have the resources.

Perfect case in point of the kind of nonsense I'm seeing:

I have surfed this forum for years and have come to the conclusion that I will not be coming back. Nor will I tell friends and family to do so. Kyle's lack of professionalism and foul language is a huge turnoff to me. Kyle claims that he is not a journalist nor a game reviewer, but "just a PC gamer with a bully pulpit.The reality is a little different sir. You have many people who rely on your site to make informed and accurate decisions about hardware and gaming purchases. Mnay times your percieved credibility will sway me to buy a new piece of hardware or purchase a game. If that is not the function of a reviewer or journalistic site then what is? In addition it seems to me that you ally yourself with players in the industry such as AMD for your BIG TEXAS EVENT.;) Would a company like AMD affiliate itself with a "pc gamer with a bully pulpit." Kyle, it's time you recognize your responsibilities and position of influence. You can start with conducting yourself a little more professionally........PLEASE CANCEL MY ACCOUNT I'M HEADING OVER TO ANANDTECH.:)

^^
This person sees an opinion he doesn't agree with and he can't even begin to refute any of it with anything of substance so it's personal attack, inneunendo, and cut and run.

I hate to break it to you but anandtech has their own agendas and bias same as anyone or anything else on planet Earth. And BTW they have plenty of sponsors and affliliates, too. You aren't going to like that, either, going by your own stated criteria.

I really don't get it.

Last edited:
I just don't see where it is leaps above anything out today. And being forced to walk down corridors doesn't help with responses! Panzer Dragoon was fun back in the day; but that day has past.

:)

Crysis 2 may not be leaps and bounds above any shooter out right now but it has been the best shooter I've played this year and I think I've bought most of the major ones that have come out with the exception of Brink.

I don't think the first Crysis was leaps and bounds above other games at the time except perhaps graphically and it was so demanding at those settings that many, many people complained of Crysis's optimization.

The thing that I find so tragic about this is all of nastiness over what is just a form of entertainment. I play games for fun it seems like more and more people play to make political statements or for some grand agenda.

I really like Crysis 2, and I'll play it over the holiday weekend with the DX 11 patch, on Extreme in surround on my sig rig. If that makes me 10 years old, as the old saying goes, the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys, and gaming like this is an expensive toy that brings me joy.

It appears to me that a lot of people are not experiencing joy in PC gaming around here and I just wonder why many even bother.

^^
This kind of thing is an easy lay up for forum quality control. I'd be handing out IP bans left and right towards crap like this if it were me.

So you would ban people that don't agree with you? Got it.

Stupid much?

Folks, there's no such thing as NOT having a bias. That's life. That's reality.

For something that's so readily obvious I wonder why so many argue that this isn't the case. It's human nature for one to favor some things over others, it's not evil, it's as you state just life.

It appears to me that a lot of people are not experiencing joy in PC gaming around here and I just wonder why many even bother.

I do wonder about some people around here sometime. Do they like gaming at all, regardless of platform?

I liked Crysis 2 well enough on its own merits. I'd probably give it a 7.5 or even a 8/10. I went into it with realistic expectations. I wasn't expecting the Second Coming. I got a competent shooter mostly on rails and I got the action I wanted out of it.

The illusion of freedom in Crysis pre aliens is overhyped and overrated. You're still basically on rails. The rails are just wider then they are in Crysis 2.

I'd give DNF a VERY charitable 6/10 at absolute best as a frame of reference.

Seeing some people give that POS more of a free pass in the same breath they bash Crysis 2 is friggin' ludicrous. (Not pointed at Kyle or staff.)

For something that's so readily obvious I wonder why so many argue that this isn't the case. It's human nature for one to favor some things over others, it's not evil, it's as you state just life.

And most people learn how to interpret things through a "lense." I don't know how some people get through life otherwise.

I know how this crew rolls around here by now and I know how to "take in" when Kyle comes out locked, loaded, and fired up.

Yes, it's pretty pathetic when it takes 4 hours to get something off the ground. I don't blame him for being angry about that and it is a documented problem and not user error or system error on his end. Facts like that aren't getting in the way of some people, though, so what can ya do? Screw 'em.

^^ Just that fact alone merits an epic fail regardless of anything else.

Hell, he has the patience of Job at that rate. I don't know how he did it. 20-30 minutes I'd have been long gone from the scene.

I think he and a lot of other people around here could assemble a system from scratch and even install Windows and get the whole damned thing running great in a lot less time then that.

IMho, even if this game would look like a CGI running at 10FPS at 1024x768, people would bitch because it have a console version.

IMHO the biggest missing feature is MSAA... apart from that, it look very nice with the Dx11 patch (witch i didn't have any problem installing)

Some people don't like the way the game plays. Obviously you do and that is fine. Nobody is knocking you for liking linear game play. But a lot of us are used to games where you need to get to objective A. I can get there infinite ways, with some being harder than others, but in the end I can complete the objective. Case in point BF: BC2 rush multiplayer.

Since there is a significant amount of people that feel this way, please don't pass that off as someone being egotistical, ignorant or stupid. It's their opinion.

Then you have the DX 11 that was supposed to be in the launch and the Nvidia DX 11 page for Crysis 2. Combine mad customers stuck in a shooter on rails then surprise them with no DX 11 on launch day. Make them wait 3 months to get DX 11 and call it a gift from the Developer. Are you getting the picture yet?

After all of that, Steve decides to do a side by side comparison of the game. Takes him 4 1/2 hours to get the patch to work. Did you see the steps he listed that he had to go through to make it work? Read the article to see! Now combine that with lackluster game play, no DX 11 on launch, and a broken patch.

Even Crytek acknowledges they broke their own game on their official boards via the game faq. And Steve is getting called a liar and incompetent here for having the same issues that Crytek has listed as known issues with the 1.9 patch.

And every fanboy of Crytek is bashing him and telling him that nobody else in the world has those problems but Hardocp editors. So they must be anti Crytek.

In the end he secured the screenshots and most people don't see the big difference in quality. Crytek fanboys say it's the greatest game ever when it was DX 9 so that's why. Others say the textures look like shit on DX 9 and they haven't really changed much unless you stare at the ground.

And that's the gist of it to this point.

Come on Kyle..."sheep" is literally taken from religious fanatics that follow what others tell them, without any sort of rational thought in the matter.

I think I heard you BAAAAAA first....

Some people don't like the way the game plays. Obviously you do and that is fine. Nobody is knocking you for liking linear game play. But a lot of us are used to games where you need to get to objective A.

Right.

I can get there infinite ways, with some being harder than others, but in the end I can complete the objective. Case in point BF: BC2 rush multiplayer.

Infinite? ;) I have yet to see any game where I have infinite choice and freedom. ;)

If I'm following you...and I may not be: These are two COMPLETELY different games and situations. You're comparing (I presume?) the single player of Crysis 2 vs a game that was built from the ground up for wide open multiplayer?

I'm not making the connection. Comparing any single player game to any multiplayer game is kind of confusing.

Am I just not reading you right? :)

Since there is a significant amount of people that feel this way, please don't pass that off as someone being egotistical, ignorant or stupid. It's their opinion.

Agreed.

Then you have the DX 11 that was supposed to be in the launch and the Nvidia DX 11 page for Crysis 2. Combine mad customers stuck in a shooter on rails then surprise them with no DX 11 on launch day. Make them wait 3 months to get DX 11 and call it a gift from the Developer. Are you getting the picture yet?

Sure. We all get it. It's all been run well into the ground and I think some of the anger was and is overdone.

Crysis 1 was on rails, too. The rails just happened to be wider and offer more of an illusion of freedom. Until the aliens show up and the game pretty much goes to pot.

After all of that, Steve decides to do a side by side comparison of the game. Takes him 4 1/2 hours to get the patch to work. Did you see the steps he listed that he had to go through to make it work? Read the article to see! Now combine that with lackluster game play, no DX 11 on launch, and a broken patch.

Even Crytek acknowledges they broke their own game on their official boards via the game faq. And Steve is getting called a liar and incompetent here for having the same issues that Crytek has listed as known issues with the 1.9 patch.

Agreed. It's great work and it's backed up and documented.

And every fanboy of Crytek is bashing him and telling him that nobody else in the world has those problems but Hardocp editors. So they must be anti Crytek.

Which is laughable since they got EA to admit that there's a problem out there.

In the end he secured the screenshots and most people don't see the big difference in quality. Crytek fanboys say it's the greatest game ever when it was DX 9 so that's why. Others say the textures look like shit on DX 9 and they haven't really changed much unless you stare at the ground.

And that's the gist of it to this point.

Right.

If I may, I will sum this entire thread up... or at least the way it seems.

There are going to be people who don't like a particular game - now they may be in a minority but those people will always exist. The fact this game's patch may not have delivered, the company's product may have not delivered, and the experience in the game may have not delivered according to what we (the gamers) think. That's how it is folks, and getting on here and going back and forth with others seems like a waste of time.

I don't own the game, and I don't plan on it. I'm not in the market for an FPS.

Ladies and gentlemen, the game IS WHAT IT IS. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you agree with the review fine, if you don't then you don't. After all, it is just a game.

Crysis 2 may not be leaps and bounds above any shooter out right now but it has been the best shooter I've played this year and I think I've bought most of the major ones that have come out with the exception of Brink.

I don't think the first Crysis was leaps and bounds above other games at the time except perhaps graphically and it was so demanding at those settings that many, many people complained of Crysis's optimization.

The thing that I find so tragic about this is all of nastiness over what is just a form of entertainment. I play games for fun it seems like more and more people play to make political statements or for some grand agenda.

I really like Crysis 2, and I'll play it over the holiday weekend with the DX 11 patch, on Extreme in surround on my sig rig. If that makes me 10 years old, as the old saying goes, the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys, and gaming like this is an expensive toy that brings me joy.

Nobody is bashing anyone for liking this game. If you like play and have fun! But I want you to give me one minute of your time to make a point.

PC hardware is sold on the premise that there will be some piece of software that will bring the current generation of hardware to it's knees. It's inevitable. But when so called PC enthusiast developers put out stuff that doesn't stress current hardware it stifles the industry.

Look at my Q6600. Is there really a reason to replace it? I've had it since 2007 or 2008; can't remember exactly. As long as games are console ports, there is no reason to purchase new hardware. If there are no reasons to purchase hardware then the industry dies. No PC industry then no games. Get what I'm saying?

That affects [H] , Nvidia, AMD, Intel, etc. XBOX 360 just hit the 1/2 way point of it's lifespan according to Microsoft. Console ports are based off it and the PS3. I don't want XBOX graphics for another 6 or 7 years. I'd rather play flash games on my PC than support that garbage.

If you don't open you mouth and be vocal about what you expect from your games then you're just accepting whatever is given to you. Like Yurie gifted Steve 4 1/2 hours of hell.

Back