Crysis 2 DX11 Tessellation & High-Res Texture Pack @ [H]

Yeah it looks good, but it's still cbb to play game.
And not the tech demonstrator that Crysis has been.

I said it before, I'll say it again:

EA needs to DIE

Imagine the gaming renaissance if everyone took the time and attention like Valve/Blizzard.

Though in Crysis 2 case, it's pretty obvious they weren't the only bad guys involved.
The GIFT crap was hilarious

Im bored so I guess ill weigh in on this one. I think the whole Crysis 2 issue has really divided people in to two camps.

one group thinks it's a great game and that everyone complaining is just a whiner who only cares about graphics.

The other group claims crysis is terrible looks like crap and they wouldn't buy it if it came in a gold plated box stuffed with hundred dollar bills and hand jobs.

of course in reality both sides are wrong. crysis 2 is not a great game but it's not a terrible one either it's an ok game. crysis 2 doesn't look like shit it actually looks pretty good and the dx 11 package adds some nice touches. Crysis 2 probably isn't worth sixty bucks but it's still 10x better than DNF.

all that being said I think what the people who don't understand why some people are so mad at crysis 2 are missing is that the people who are mad aren't really mad that crysis is a slightly above average fps they are mad that it is a slightly above average fps that was promised to be anamazing fps spectaular that would make us all glad that we own high end gaming PC's. and as someone else mentioned it's just part of a string of dissapointing releases where pc gamers clearly got passed over in favor of the more lucrative console market. PC gamer aren't mad at crysis for beong terrible as anyone being objective will tell you its not terrible just average they are mad about what crysis 2 represents which is the complete disaperence of legitimate pc developers and a pc gaming market that is held back by 5+ year old console hardware that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon and a game market that has become dominated by shitty "casual" Wii and face book games.

To use an analogy people aren't mad that crytek took them out to dinner at denny's they are mad that crytek promised the dinner at Morton's (or Ruth Chris take you pick)..... and then took out to dennys instead.

Well Even though C 2 sucks in compare to C 1, ill still update with the patches, games with good looks at maxed settings is about the only way ill ever play a game, not just new games, i've never played a game at anything less then maxed best settings, even games years old, I dont buy game to play on lame resolutions, if I wanted that i'd play a console games., computer games are for eye candy.

...the upgrades are mostly subtle but if you look for it you can definitely see the differences...yes the gameplay still sucks and it's a console port but talking about just the visuals alone the improvements are well worth it...how can any objective person not see that?

You say "subtle," I said "minor." Six of one, half a dozen of another. I didn't see much of a benefit to installing the texture pack, Kyle did.

And, to be fair, you shouldn't have to go hunting around for "subtle" improvements (llke the Biohazard sign we pointed out) after a big DX11 upgrade + massivve texture pack. It should be obvious.

Finally, what about the people that installed the 1.9 patch and are stuck with a broken game (one that won't even start or constantly crashes?) we had it relatively easy compared to other people.

Whats this vid where they supposodly promised dx11 in the final game from e3 2010? ive watched the e3 2010 presentation and it says nothing about dx11. The only real feature they do mention is stereoscopic support.

To use an analogy people aren't mad that crytek took them out to dinner at denny's they are mad that crytek promised the dinner at Morton's (or Ruth Chris take you pick)..... and then took out to dennys instead.

Crytek put a lot of work into the DX11/hires pack: http://www.mycrysis.com/sites/default/files/support/download/c2_dx11_ultra_upgrade.pdf - The review apparently only examines tesselation and the hires textures.

OT, I wish Yerli would stifle and Crytek release press releases worded more like the PDF.

According to the review the differences are fairly negligible between DX9, DX11 and DX11+hires. So Crytek either didn't make much of an improvement to the game (in the eyes of the reviewers) or the game looked pretty good to begin with, without DX11/hires textures.

To use your analogy, Denny's turned into Appleby's, or Morton's turned into Morton's plus an extra couple of cocktails before ordering.

Which is it, really?

Great evaluation guys. I am glad that I didn't purchase an unfinished game at launch, but now all I need to do is wait for a price drop or two since the game is finally finished. I also LOVE that HardOCP Fail logo as I don't think i've ever seen you guys use it outside of really bad PSU's.

So wait, you're telling me you've never had issues installing an update before? One person having problems does not mean that the update was "fail". I had it installed in under 10 minutes (after downloading of course) and the Steam version auto-patched to 1.9 without a hiccup. While I'm not saying you're the only person that experienced these problems, I haven't heard of any other major complaints (with the installation at least) across several game forums.

Ironically the only other game that i've had trouble installing an update for was Crysis 1. While patching the retail version to the latest version that fixed multiple GPU support, it ended up borking something thus causing me to lose my saved games and having to reinstall and start again.

I'm just going to come right out and lay it on the table... even with these "enhancements," Crysis 2 will never be the poster child for what you can do with DX11. If I'm just batshit crazy though and this is "the best we can do" with current gen hardware then I guess I'm just even more dissapointed with the current state of "PC gaming."

Awesome fail placard, its like a big fist came out of my monitor and punched me in the face! Weird about the update issue because I had no problems receiving my patch using the crysis2launcher.exe in the bin32 file. Though I did download my dx 11 and high rez files from techpower.

Shit in a box, give it to customers who paid for it, and call it a gift!

It's the 21st century folks, welcome to our new business model!

While I agree with the feeling you are trying to express, I don't think there is anything particularly new about this strategy. Microsoft has been operating this way for years... "Cobble together some code, push it out the door, then work on a patch afterwards. And hope you can fix the worst parts, but never really finish it." :mad:

stop bitching. I installed the patch and packs without issue and the game ran almost as good as it did before. The effects are minor in some places, but make a big difference in others. I played the game for the first time a few days before the patch came out and now I'm going through it again with the upgrades.

So you guys want the entire game remodeled with High Res textures? This patch was only what 1 gb? And it seems it didn't change too much, think of changing the whole game to higher resolutions. Then you would complain about the file being way too big and the game not being playable. :rolleyes:

Crysis never was and never will be a title that can please everyone. Its either running too bad because it stresses your hardware too much or its shit because its not stressing your hardware and should look way better and kill your hardware.

That said, Crytek is still extremely stupid for pulling this console shit off. Crysis doesn't belong on a console.

First time I've seen a real [H] FAIL graphic! I wouldn't even give the devs the pleasure of torrenting this game.

I think you are missing the point here, They are saying they paid the $60 for the game and the claimed before it came out it would have DX11support, but when it shipped it was DX9 only. And the fact they they said it was going to happen and it didn't was a broken promise for which people actually expected. The company is responsible for delivering what they are promising and then they have the balls to tell everyone they are going to be generous to everyone and give this patch THAT HAS ERRORS, its poor business.

This has NOTHING to do with the install process of the patches. And again, Crytek released a demo, everyone had a chance to see first hand what Crysis 2 was about before paying one red dime.

The same can be said for the release of FEAR 3 without Eyefinity or Surround support.

Pure consolized fail-in-a-box.

Worked okay for me (Steam Version), Graphics slightly better, performance worse however give ATI time for updated drivers/caps

Maybe I'm playing a different game but on all ultra/dx11/highres textures 1920x1200 I'm routinely in awe. The particle affects, shadows, lighting are all amazing. Blows Crysis/warhead away.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8fU2RWyK4"]YouTube - ‪Crysis 2 | DX11 Trailer‬‏[/ame]

I don't think there is anything particularly new about this strategy. Microsoft has been operating this way for years... "Cobble together some code, push it out the door, then work on a patch afterwards. And hope you can fix the worst parts, but never really finish it." :mad:

agree

Crytek is getting a lof flak but most games nowadays are released in an unfinished state and are patched numerous times yet no one seems to make as big of a deal about that...Fallout: New Vegas?...Witcher 2?...just because they added in DX11 support they are getting more flak versus other games that have broken quests, major bugs etc...New Vegas is coming out with another major patch in the coming few weeks...when was New Vegas released?...if anything broken quests would bother me a hell of a lot more then graphics

so yes this is nothing new

Last edited:
stop bitching. I installed the patch and packs without issue and the game ran almost as good as it did before. The effects are minor in some places, but make a big difference in others. I played the game for the first time a few days before the patch came out and now I'm going through it again with the upgrades.

+1, my experience exactly with the patches and I have the same observations as to the impact of the update, it's not consistent but as a whole I'd say its a fairly major visual upgrade on Extreme and Ultra especially though Ultra is very demanding.

I didn't have any issues installing the DX11 Patch or High Res Textures (STEAM Version, 1.9 Patch updated via STEAM) so I can't comment on that.

I will agree however that the wait, Crytek's attitude and all the other bullshit that's surrounded this game just isn't worth it

I didn't have any problems with the patch either for my Steam install. I agree with the lousy attitude from Crytek also. After all this wait, there seems to be minimal differences in appearance and a fairly large drop in framerate (this on a 4.5GHz 2700k with a 900MHz GTX 580). Not really worth it for me.

+1, my experience exactly with the patches and I have the same observations as to the impact of the update, it's not consistent but as a whole I'd say its a fairly major visual upgrade on Extreme and Ultra especially though Ultra is very demanding.

I am sick of the "well it worked for me so shut the fuck up" attitude of people.

After all this wait, there seems to be minimal differences in appearance and a fairly large drop in framerate (this on a 4.5GHz 2700k with a 900MHz GTX 580). Not really worth it for me.

Sounds like EXACTLY the same thing people said about Crysis 1 and DX 10 and DX 9 mods looking better and performing better. Again, this is one of the reasons why Crytek went to consoles. There really isn't much pleasing PC gamers these days when it comes to shooters.

agree

Crytek is getting a lof flak but most games nowadays are released in an unfinished state and are patched numerous time yet no one seems to make as big of a deal about that...Fallout: New Vegas?...Witcher 2?...just because they added in DX11 support they are getting more flak versus other games that have broken quests, major bugs etc...

No.

Crytek is getting more flak because they had army of nut huggers hung on the graphic standard they set back set in 2007, because of the failed promises, and because of flerting with consoles with the game that was very PC. And then there's the flak coming from the non fans, who didn't like the original game, but respected Crysis for its tech capabilities.

If they went with PC DX11 and then ported it to consoles, it would have been win-win

I am sick of the "well it worked for me so shut the fuck up" attitude of people.

Where did I tell anyone to shut up? It worked for me and plenty of others and we're simply conveying our experiences. Are you trying to tell those who haven't had any to shut up and only people that are having problems are allowed in you view to say anything?

A -1 because the patches worked for me? That's just ridiculous!:p

agree

Crytek is getting a lof flak but most games nowadays are released in an unfinished state and are patched numerous time yet no one seems to make as big of a deal about that...Fallout: New Vegas?...Witcher 2?...just because they added in DX11 support they are getting more flak versus other games that have broken quests, major bugs etc...New Vegas is coming out with another major patch in the coming few weeks...when was New Vegas released?...if anything broken quests would bother me a hell of a lot more then graphics

so yes this is nothing new

i think the difference here is that a lot of those game developers aren't publically making promises that the game will have this or that on release and it ends up not having it. bugs and patches are a way of life in the pc gaming industry there isn't anything anyone can do about it due to the millions of different system configurations out there. most of us know that and live with it. but when a company promises a feature on release and doesn't deliver it, then claims said feature is a "gift" a month or so after release. they created the flak they are receiving themselves.

as far as the games you mention i don't know shit about them since i don't play them and haven't wanted to play them. crysis 2 on the other hand was one of the games on my list to try and now i'll probably just wait for MWLL to get ported to crysis 2 before buying it.

If they went with PC DX11 and then ported it to consoles, it would have been win-win

I think this is unlikely. Crysis 1 simply wasn't the smash it that some PC gamers think it was, not in terms of sales. Bottom line, it's easier to develop for consoles and they are a bigger market.

i think the difference here is that a lot of those game developers aren't publically making promises that the game will have this or that on release and it ends up not having it. bugs and patches are a way of life in the pc gaming industry there isn't anything anyone can do about it due to the millions of different system configurations out there. most of us know that and live with it. but when a company promises a feature on release and doesn't deliver it, then claims said feature is a "gift" a month or so after release. they created the flak they are receiving themselves.

as far as the games you mention i don't know shit about them since i don't play them and haven't wanted to play them. crysis 2 on the other hand was one of the games on my list to try and now i'll probably just wait for MWLL to get ported to crysis 2 before buying it.

the 'gift' terminology was just a badly worded statement...people need to get over it...the fact is that 2 weeks before Crysis 2 was released a website reported that it would not ship with DX11 support...I'm sure [H] even has a thread dedicated to this...so most people already knew this and still chose to buy the game...secondly a few days or so after the game came out Crytek put out a staement via the MyCrysis website which stated that the game would be getting DX11 support sometime 'in the next few months'

so going by the math, since the game was released in March and the patch was released in the last week of June, they kept their promise!...people seem to have selective memories when it comes to what Crytek did or did not promise and what they actually delivered

Let's see, FEAR3 gets a rave review about being wonderful gameplay and graphics and NOT consolized (have you LOOKED at how awful the 720p-ish textures are) and yet Crysis 2 STILL gets bashed. Ok.

I think this is unlikely. Crysis 1 simply wasn't the smash it that some PC gamers think it was, not in terms of sales. Bottom line, it's easier to develop for consoles and they are a bigger market.

Hey 4.5M+ Crysis + Warhead

http://www.zuse.hessen.de/mm/Konrad_Zuse_Kongress_Yerli_Final.pdf

Also...its so much more about placebo. Most gamers are blind as bats. There I said it xD

If they went and published this current build on PC, there would be huge amount of epeen stroking, and no backlash, which could only raise console sales.

And consolification (neither real nor perceived) would not hurt PC.
Look under Witcher 2 on how to get away with consolification.

OK, I found the thread here at [H] which Steve started in the News section on March 2...almost 3 weeks before the game was released!!...title of the thread: Rumor: Crysis 2 Will Be DX9 Out of the Box

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1589881&highlight=crysis+dx11

thread is 12 pages long and I'm sure most of the people in this and other Crytek bashing threads have posted in that older thread...shall we call out the hypocrites?

OK, I found the thread here at [H] which Steve started in the News section on March 2...almost 3 weeks before the game was released!!...title of the thread: Rumor: Crysis 2 Will Be DX9 Out of the Box

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1589881&highlight=crysis+dx11

thread is 12 pages long and I'm sure most of the people in this and other Crytek bashing threads have posted in that older thread...shall we call out the hypocrites?

So because there is a rumor as to it being a suck ass DX9 console title right before release, that makes the game awesome and worth the cash?

Lol, that "Fail" logo was a surprise. Too bad installation went difficult, I understand how that feels.

I guess it really shows that each system is different. On my computer I let Crysis 2 update the game, then installed the DX 11 patch and the high resolution textures, and then I could even play without a restart, but I could just have been lucky though.

Everyone will have a different opinion, some might like the changes while others don't see much improvement. Personally I see a lot of difference but that's just me.

I agree DX 11 should have been included at release, but I'm already happy they've released this update, it motivated me enough to start replaying the game again. I'm really enjoying it and haven't had a crash so far.

I guess I'm one of the few people here who likes this game, it's one of my favorites so far.

no but it makes the people bashing Crytek for lying to them dead wrong...DX11 support was never promised on release, people just assumed that because of the first game's reputation...DX11 was always coming later on...people knew it...yet people are now pretending that they didn't know just to pile on the company

DX11 support was promised as we wrote in our article today. The interview video has then since been conveniently removed.

We got your point and you do not need to regurgitate it again. You will be better off enjoying your copy of C2 than posting and calling people hypocrites again in this thread.

Why anyone would listen to developer's/marketing "promises" is beyond me... especially if they are over 10 years old. If you review games as a profession it should be even more obvious that you'll get a major "dud" here and there.

I have no sympathy for Kyle and others who are seemingly so "screwed over" feeling. I do hope, however, they get over it soon, learn their lesson, try and be happy, etc... life's too short for letting a little crappy game get you down

Thanks for the screenshots. I don't really see any real benefits to the patches so I won't bother downloading it and reinstalling the game.

If you don't like something, no one will blame you for that, but respect for the work of the others. Your mama doesn't teached you that when you was young?

I have no respect for the work Crytek has done in this game. None. Apparently your "mama doesn't teached you" English.

Back