Cryptocurrency Mining is Fading in China

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by AlphaAtlas, Oct 19, 2018.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas Gawd Staff Member

According to a report by the Commercial Times, the Chinese mining craze is starting to fade away. A halt on Bitcoin trading in the country certainly didn't help things, and the falling prices of alternative cryptocoins means miners are struggling to make a profit. According to the report, many miners are quitting the business, and used hardware is flooding the market.

Many mining machines have been available on second-hand trading websites in China priced less than a quarter of those of brand new machines, the report said.

2. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Their economy has been slowing for six years now, opening themselves to a meltdown in the crypto "market" is not something they need.

Especially in a country where people have to do whatever they can to carve themselves a corner.

3. Darrell262

Darrell262 [H]Lite

Waiting for the pissed off cat picture to show up with a 'Good' caption lol

4. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

inb4 posts about video games

Darrell262 likes this.
  5. atp1916

atp1916 [H]ard|DCoTM x1

Good.

Lower that difficulty.

thebufenator and Orddie like this.
  6. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

2khxt4.jpg

7. travisty

travisty Gawd

When cryptocurrency dies the world will be a better place

8. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

9. Hatriot

Hatriot [H]Lite

So...has this actually translated into cheaper prices for vid cards? In either the after-market or retail?

10. Tweak42

Tweak42 Gawd

Cheaper not really, in stock for below MSRP yes finally.

Also there are some jukey manufactured for mining whitebox cards with minimal ram and DVI only video outputs hitting the market.

mynamehere likes this.
  11. Madoc

Madoc Gawd

Guess it's back to gold farming and RMT for a lot of these guys. What a shame...

12. causticspill

causticspill Limp Gawd

There's an article in the Seattle Times today too about the state of mining in once booming central Washington (cheap hydro power).

Hooray for video card availability again, just sucks that it has to show up in the age of $500-$600 "mid range" cards.

13. Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens Limp Gawd

Where are the links to these cheap rigs they mention in the article?

14. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

A good time to stock up on cheap cards, prices falling in the US too. When a new mining craze takes off, if it does, you might be able to sell them for 4x what you paid. Not looking so good now for mining, except when you can get a card that was going for $500 a year or two ago for $60, it's good to understand supply and demand.

15. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

Check used and eBay, mining is unprofitable now, a $1400 1080 TI has a payoff of over a decade. Anyone that got in at the top is hurting bad. Lots of people overextended on credit, second mortgages. etc. The wreckage is only starting.

16. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

I don't get that at all, taking out credit to buy mining rigs? That's just dumb. It's almost always been better to just buy the coins than to mine them, mining is more of a hobby than an income due to rapidly dropping returns due to increasing difficulty. Or you mine a ton of new coins and hope they moon later on.

travanx and DocNo like this.
  17. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

You'd think people were smarter, yet they allowed 1080 and the like to a 2x multiplier on MSRP. Figure out where the dumb money is going and ride the wave is my slogan. Ride it as long as you can, it's life, know how to recognize and plan for risk.

18. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Wonder if this has something to do with the recent surge in fake GPU's coming out of China?

19. DocNo

DocNo Limp Gawd

Cool - the hunt for prime numbers just got more interesting - I'll have to go find some!

20. Randall Stephens

I was more interested if there were links into where the Chinese are dumping the stuff in their own country which is what I think the article is talking about. But yes, I need to slap myself everytimebi start thinking about sli while reading fsft

21. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

Yes, the article is very short, I can't help with any links sorry I don't speak chinese. One thing is for sure, as much as people hated the mining craze, it takes a lot of psus, motherboards, ram, the whole nine yards for GPU mining, and those yards are going on sale now and probably for years to come.

thebufenator likes this.
  22. Randall Stephens

Hopefully they wind up where folks can get them, not like that wonderful cash for clunkers bs

23. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

Agreed, that program destroyed lots of well built old cars.

24. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

There is nothing greener than a used car.

25. Darkswordz

Darkswordz Gawd

26. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

I wonder who wanted that to happen?

But think of the corporations, man!!!

27. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

I don't see how. Mining uses real GPU's. There should be a flood of real GPU's but as yet I haven't seen it. Prices remain strong. The shitty falsely labeled ebay China/Hong Kong GPU's are nothing new.

28. RealBeast

RealBeast Gawd

What the hell, where are all the crypto fanbois with their HODL now? o_O

29. triwolf

triwolf Gawd

With all the capital created already with crypto, it is something for the history books already. One thing that bothers me is the fact that the manipulation of the prices has caused a lot of problems lately, even if it occurs on stock markets and all markets anyway. Also the fact that it is a wild west show even in 2018. I still think it is amazing to be able to send value so quick and easy, so it will morph and change and we may not recognize it in 10 years, but the concepts will still be sound.

Did you know that banks such as PNC are using the technology even as we speak, and it is basically the same with all the flaws and possibilities for it to blow up with peoples money they think is not using crypto at all? You'd be surprised.

https://www.ccn.com/pnc-joins-ripple-blockchain-ripplenet-for-cross-border-payments/

30. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

whether it's chasing real estate or crypto gains, the chinese are always looking for easy money