Crypto Slowdown to Bring DRAM Prices Down

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While most of the cryptocurrency impact rage has been directed at the GPU market, it has surely impacted pricing in the DRAM market as well, along with DRAM price fixing as well. This "Go home memory prices, you're drunk" thread comes to mind that was started back in June of 2017. However, Nikkei Asian Review is reporting that DRAM prices are likely to fall this year on the backs of demand for DRAMs from virtual currency miners being badly weakened. Yea! Thanks to Peter A for the link!

With a glut on the horizon, large-lot DRAM prices stopped rising in March for the first time in nine months. Buyers and sellers are beginning to agree on lower prices. Price-setting talks are under way for April-May shipments and beyond. They appear to be headed lower.

The value of DRAM shipments are expected to peak in 2018, according to IHS Markit.

I suppose short-sighted and undisciplined miners are getting out of the game and not buying.

But I think reports of the demise of mining have been greatly exaggerated.

Lower prices are good though

There's a glut on the horizon? Great. How far away is that horizon, and in which direction?

back before the mining craze hit, when Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 was $115 (used) for 2x4GB on eBay well, last week Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 2x8GB cost me $180 at the Egg so I'm currently hard pressed to complain that the prices are too high right now though lower pricing would help bring new blood into the PC gaming market as well as slick looking good performing gaming motherboards like the NZXT N7 Z370 (plug intended {8^)

Last edited:
I suppose short-sighted and undisciplined miners are getting out of the game and not buying.

But I think reports of the demise of mining have been greatly exaggerated.

Lower prices are good though

I agree, as a miner, I am going 150% into mining especially now. I am earning about 1/3rd of what I did back in late 2017, but now the difficulty is so low I am earning a lot more coins as well!

back before the mining craze hit, when Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 was $115 (used) for 2x4GB on eBay well, last week Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 2x8GB cost me $180 at the Egg so I'm currently hard pressed to complain that the prices are too high right now though lower pricing would help bring new blood into the PC gaming market as well as slick looking good performing gaming motherboards like the NZXT N7 Z370
You do realize that a little over a year ago that same kit you bought for $180 cost $70 on amazon... right?

I project a new crypto for cards specifically re-igniting this whole mess.... any takers?

back before the mining craze hit, when Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 was $115 (used) for 2x4GB on eBay well, last week Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 2x8GB cost me $180 at the Egg so I'm currently hard pressed to complain that the prices are too high right now though lower pricing would help bring new blood into the PC gaming market as well as slick looking good performing gaming motherboards like the NZXT N7 Z370

I think it was late 2007 when 2gb of ddr2 gskill cost me about $40. Next year it was $80, then $40 again a year later. In October of 2011 I paid $120 or so for 16gb of DDR3 1600 Gskill (new), I think the 2x4gb Corsair set I bought at the same time was less than half that. In early 2014 I paid $45 for a no name single stick 4gb of ddr3. March 2015 I paid $123 or so for 16gb of DDR3 at 1866mhz. One year later in June 2016 the exact same ram was $60. Long story short, welcome to ram pricing collusion wars (and some actual supply/demand issues). Its been going on a long long time.

Reactions: _l_
like this
no, crypto has VERY little effect on dram prices and dram prices were just as wack since before people were going mining crazy,

Back