Crypto Hangover Could Take Blame for NVIDIA's Potential GeForce RTX 2060 Delay

Pretty crazy that 1060 cards are only now selling for their prices that I paid 2 years ago. Feel fortunate that I got in while prices were reasonable. I am currently assembling a new rig but one of the parts I’m definitely migrating for now is that old 1060 (that and a pretty young Seasonic PS). Still plenty of life in the card and there isn’t a single video card upgrade that is compelling in terms of price/performance over what I already have. Yes, I have a 1080p g-sync monitor. That resolution is just fine for my needs for now.

upload_2018-11-18_10-17-14.png

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the new 2xxx RTX cards & simply wants g-sync monitors to come down to FreeSync prices?

Lots of people seem to think nVidia will drop prices once old stock is sold. It would be nice, but who are you kidding?

Dropping prices these days is just a sign of weakness, you raise the prices and claim to be courageous.

Lots of people seem to think nVidia will drop prices once old stock is sold. It would be nice, but who are you kidding?

Dropping prices these days is just a sign of weakness, you raise the prices and claim to be courageous.

Ive been buying video cards and cpus for a pretty long time. Seldom is the "old" version sold for a reduced price while at the same time the "new" version is out. It normally pans out that a few months before the new one comes out, its rebate or game bundle city, and then they just disappear from the shelves.

I do not remember the 970 being sold for six months along side the 1070, or even 3 months.

What???

The RX 590 8GB uses 238 Watts to slightly out do a GTX 1060 6GB using 122 Watts. (Witcher 3 at 1080p - Tom's)

Out of this world. Wait for their next gen GPUs.

The RX 590 is same as i9-9900k. A part pushed to extremes because there are basic fundamental architecture limits in play.

I do not remember the 970 being sold for six months along side the 1070, or even 3 months.

This is because they ramped production for the crypto craze that they now have too much back inventory to write-down. They have to keep those units on the market, competing with themselves.

Yet for some reason they're not willing to discount them to move them. Instead they've raised the newer model prices.

What a dip man, according to a motley fool article "Instead of guiding to revenue growth of nearly 17% for the quarter, the graphics processor manufacturer is now telling shareholders that it's expecting sales to drop by more than 7% from the same period a year ago."

Feels good that I knew this inventory back log was a problem, feels bad I did not short Nvidia.

Here is what leather jacket has to say: "The executive also said that he's optimistic that "now that pricing has stabilized, customers will come back and buy."
Dreaming big, crypto was the reason profits where so high, and now the secondary market is flooded. The graphics pipeline is packed.

What a dip man, according to a motley fool article "Instead of guiding to revenue growth of nearly 17% for the quarter, the graphics processor manufacturer is now telling shareholders that it's expecting sales to drop by more than 7% from the same period a year ago."

Feels good that I knew this inventory back log was a problem, feels bad I did not short Nvidia.

Here is what leather jacket has to say: "The executive also said that he's optimistic that "now that pricing has stabilized, customers will come back and buy."
Dreaming big, crypto was the reason profits where so high, and now the secondary market is flooded. The graphics pipeline is packed.

Crypto, at least from a gpu standpoint, is dead. Even though I hope the rest will soon follow, the GPU market isn't coming back to crypto in time to change anything for the next gen. Nvidia is in a quagimire of their own making. Given the emerging 2080 ti issues, still might be a good stock to short.

Oh im sure its coming. But it wont beat out the RX 590 with a memory bump, not at the $279 price point. Nvidia would have to sell them for 229-250, Which they wont do.
If you read the link I posted it says they are using GTX 1070 chips for it. Maybe this will be a GTX 1060 Ti.

Indeed and what would be the point when 580 8gb are down to $199-240 on sales with free games. Hell I just saw NE has an evga 1060 for $199 after rebate finally. Why pay $80 more for cards slightly faster, that are effectively 2 year old tech?

Because the 590 will win just about every benchmark against a 1060 even with the 1060 overclocked. And it's borderline acceptable for 1440p if you don't want to pay the additional $100+ for a 1070/Vega 56. Add to this is comes with 3 games, and I think it's acceptably priced. It makes for a decent midrange card.

Crypto, at least from a gpu standpoint, is dead. Even though I hope the rest will soon follow, the GPU market isn't coming back to crypto in time to change anything for the next gen. Nvidia is in a quagimire of their own making. Given the emerging 2080 ti issues, still might be a good stock to short.

I really hope nvidia learns some humility soon.

what the heck is the point of a RTX 2060 when you won't be able to use any of the RTX features?

Well the 2070 is a joke with it's RTX. It's now shown not to be NEAR powerful enough. So maybe a cut down 2070 with no RTX units? Or a dedicated chip design with no RTX. Just a 2060 GTX that runs at 1070 speeds.

Which they aren't making any more.

I only saw that they discontinued the 1080Ti. I haven't seen that the regular 1080 was discontinued (yet). That being said, there are TONS of used 1080's out there that give you the same performance for ~$350.

You are exactly right. Also, Jen is saying what any other CEO is supposed to say, he has to be optimistic. We all know better, there are a ton of great used cards for cheap, and at the prices it's worth the risk the card may croak a year or two sooner from previous mining. I do hope well for all graphics vendors, but it doesn't look too good for a while for their profits.

Because the 590 will win just about every benchmark against a 1060 even with the 1060 overclocked. And it's borderline acceptable for 1440p if you don't want to pay the additional $100+ for a 1070/Vega 56. Add to this is comes with 3 games, and I think it's acceptably priced. It makes for a decent midrange card.

Its tolerable and there is no equivalent 1060 out there for sure but its hard to justify the cash over a 580 at $200. Of course, if you want the extra game and the difference is only $40-50 it is more palatable.

You are exactly right. Also, Jen is saying what any other CEO is supposed to say, he has to be optimistic. We all know better, there are a ton of great used cards for cheap, and at the prices it's worth the risk the card may croak a year or two sooner from previous mining. I do hope well for all graphics vendors, but it doesn't look too good for a while for their profits.

Exactly, everyone that takes a CEO directly at their word without doing any fact checking needs their head examined.

Also their are key words for marketing speak, one of them is redefine performance, aka this product is shit for it's value so please look at it different.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's all Crypto's fault. It couldn't possibly be anything else, like a dumpster fire, or anything. :)

Who exactly would buy a used Crypto card?

Wait; maybe all the failing chips are remarked tesla cpus, on a new pcb to hide it?

Is this tinfoil too tight? :D

My guess, they are hoping the Christmas season will help clear their stock of the 10 series. I hope that strategy will backfire on them

I dunno the Titan OCed is holding me down at 4k.

I noticed a difference from a heavily OC'd Titan X pascal underwater to the 2080 ti. Frames seem might tighter, as well as higher. Now is it a huge % jump to justify a 2k Canadian card no, but it's noticable.

In AC Odessey, I was getting 40-60 on my titan, with all the things cranked up, now I am getting about 70-80. The lower fluxuation range is what I've really noticed, and yes I use gysync.

I noticed a difference from a heavily OC'd Titan X pascal underwater to the 2080 ti. Frames seem might tighter, as well as higher. Now is it a huge % jump to justify a 2k Canadian card no, but it's noticable.

In AC Odessey, I was getting 40-60 on my titan, with all the things cranked up, now I am getting about 70-80. The lower fluxuation range is what I've really noticed, and yes I use gysync.
Oh no doubt, I know the performance is better all I'm saying is so far I'm satisfied.

Back