Crypto and gpu price going back

How long does it take for you to make $2400 to pay off those cards? Don't forget IRS requires taxed as well!

ya take it as a deduction, no tax, if ya make enough to qualify as a business. 160 days pay off time with current mining rates, 6 months.

ya take it as a deduction, no tax, if ya make enough to qualify as a business. 160 days pay off time with current mining rates, 6 months.
WOW, 6 months and 3 brand new spanking 1080 monsters paid off just barely broke in?

Sign me up!

right now mining is good, a month ago it was freakin awesome, but ya have your down times too, so just make sure ya get your ROI and then keep as many coins as possible.

How long does it take for you to make $2400 to pay off those cards? Don't forget IRS requires taxed as well!

Lets assume the worst and i only make $4 a day. 7.5 months for ROI. However, i am 90% sure cryptos will hit a new all time high late in 2018 and ill make a lot more then just ROI. I reported my revenue and the cost of doing business to the IRS for 2017 without any negative impact. I am still holding a lot of alt coins waiting for that big payday. To be clear -- my big payday is like 5 days of mining for razor1 lol.

right now mining is good, a month ago it was freakin awesome, but ya have your down times too, so just make sure ya get your ROI and then keep as many coins as possible.

Wait, how much in electrical bills to cover the juices. I forgot to ask?

Wait, how much in electrical bills to cover the juices. I forgot to ask?

not that bad, the 1080ti pulls about 150 to 180 watts mining, so per day 1-2 bucks a day, depending on the power rates, I get my power at 6.5 cents per kilowatt, which is on the lower end of the scale. I would say 2 bucks a day would be average on 3 1080ti. Keep this in mind, mining isn't about the day to day returns, well that shouldn't be the main reason for mining lol, its the jackpot when the coins you are mining mature. Day to day money for mining is highly volatile and if ya look at that you will have multiple heart attacks and happy days lol. It will be like a bad and good acid trip ;)

not that bad, the 1080ti pulls about 150 to 180 watts mining, so per day 1-2 bucks a day, depending on the power rates, I get my power at 6.5 cents per kilowatt, which is on the lower end of the scale. I would say 2 bucks a day would be average on 3 1080ti.

Alright, soon as I hit 100 posts. Be expecting me to hit your PM for some additional questions on mining.

not that bad, the 1080ti pulls about 150 to 180 watts mining, so per day 1-2 bucks a day, depending on the power rates, I get my power at 6.5 cents per kilowatt, which is on the lower end of the scale. I would say 2 bucks a day would be average on 3 1080ti. Keep this in mind, mining isn't about the day to day returns, well that shouldn't be the main reason for mining lol, its the jackpot when the coins you are mining mature. Day to day money for mining is highly volatile and if ya look at that you will have multiple heart attacks and happy days lol. It will be like a bad and good acid trip ;)

can I run an extension cord from your house to mine? I pay 12.9 cents and in the summer... if i go over 600kwh they double my rates! July or august i was hit with a $650 electric bill and i only made $700ish from mining that month :-/

lol yeah we have peak hours/days and off hour/days too for residential lines, if the line is registered for business and ya own the transformer, the power delivery fees which can by 1/3 to 1/2 the the cost of the power is removed.

Last edited:
can I run an extension cord from your house to mine? I pay 12.9 cents and in the summer... if i go over 600kwh they double my rates! July or august i was hit with a $650 electric bill and i only made $700ish from mining that month :-/

LOL, that is exactly what I was afraid of! My power bill on equalizer is $270 per month. When you actually look at the billing, only $50 is the actual use of electricity. The rest of the $220 are fees and taxes.

LOL, that is exactly what I was afraid of! My power bill on equalizer is $270 per month. When you actually look at the billing, only $50 is the actual use of electricity. The rest of the $220 are fees and taxes.

My electric in the winter ranged anywhere from $270-350. I dont undervolt as aggressive as razor1 -- i set mine at 80% power target stock clocks (8x gigabyte 1080 g1). Each computer draws 520 watts that includes the cpu on cryptonight. looks like ive been throwing money away though, so ill spend some time on that this weekend. I didnt even turn my heat on until that cold spell in January

My electric in the winter ranged anywhere from $270-350. I dont undervolt as aggressive as razor1 -- i set mine at 80% power target stock clocks (8x gigabyte 1080 g1). Each computer draws 520 watts that includes the cpu on cryptonight. looks like ive been throwing money away though, so ill spend some time on that this weekend. I didnt even turn my heat on until that cold spell in January
My power rate is 4.7c / kwH + $12/kw/peak. I just implement aggressive efficiency during peak and enjoy the relatively cheap power.

This morning the cryptocurrency markets are up a fair bit, I guess we'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Joust
like this
You just can't get the best perf/watt unless you undervolt for mining, the difference we are talking about 50 cents a day per card power usage, vs 1 buck a day power usage. The difference is that much. When making 3 to 4 bucks a day per card, that is a very large amount. I'm sure anyone with mining experience would go the extra mile to undervolt their cards. Its not hard to do it just takes time.

I see this a lot and while it appeals to the "longevity" of the cards, I hardly believe that's the interest of the miners. Given the choice between profitability versus efficiency, you can't know which miners pick which. And yes, they are two different things, when cost of power remains low enough, which it is.

I see this a lot and while it appeals to the "longevity" of the cards, I hardly believe that's the interest of the miners. Given the choice between profitability versus efficiency, you can't know which miners pick which. And yes, they are two different things, when cost of power remains low enough, which it is.

nah it depends, that is calculating with 10cents per killowatt hour. Which is pretty much the average and on the low side here in the states in residential areas. Larger mining operations, have to take into consideration cooling too, so, it can add up quickly. Smaller guys not so much, but for all them, that have to figure all of it in cause it adds up a lot over time, so if they did their numbers, getting 25 cents extra per day in coins vs spending 50 cents on power, doesn't make sense.

I can't believe people are still questioning this.
Try reducing your GPU vcore by 100-150mv. You'll likely still maintain normal, out of the box clocks, but your cooling requirements and power use are reduced signficantly. And that directly translates into noise reduction, which is a huge quality of life improvement.

Pascal already has absurd level of performance per watt, but it can still be improved and that translates into reduced cooling requirements => less noise.

Last night i dropped my cards to 80% power limit and my hashrate went down 10%. Don't have a power meter, but the fan speed dropped, core temps dropped. My other Zotac (amp!) dropped it to 80% didnt seem to effect hashrates.

To give some perspective, at the beginning of December 2017, I decided to expand mining from Bitcoin to Ethereum. I bought 7 RX580's 8GB @ $279 from Microcenter. Working for just over 2 months and I already have roughly $1100 in Ethereum. I pay no electricity since all my hardware is at work, and all the money that covered this hardware came from my Bitcoin account. To this date, my initial investment is just over $2000 total when I bought my first Bitcoin Asics. I have not put any more money into this since starting years ago. I can still remember mining Bitcoin on gpus. At this point, the best thing I can do is just sit and wait, hoping for a raise in value.

Last night i dropped my cards to 80% power limit and my hashrate went down 10%. Don't have a power meter, but the fan speed dropped, core temps dropped. My other Zotac (amp!) dropped it to 80% didnt seem to effect hashrates.

Odd were ya able to solve this. I haven't come across a problem like this, but maybe a power supply issue?

Odd were ya able to solve this. I haven't come across a problem like this, but maybe a power supply issue?

I read some coins are more affected by core speed? When i dropped power to 80% i didnt do anything to the clock / memory speeds on any cards. That particular card dropped its core speed from 1760 to 1530, my other two 1080ti at 80% are still in the 1700+ range core speed.

I read some coins are more affected by core speed? When i dropped power to 80% i didnt do anything to the clock / memory speeds on any cards. That particular card dropped its core speed from 1760 to 1530, my other two 1080ti at 80% are still in the 1700+ range core speed.

Some coins are, also some coins push the GPU different too, are all cards doing the same coin?

Pretty nice I’d imagine. I’d do the same but if someone outside our department found out, I’d get chewed out at best or probably fired.

Yeah but unless he has a large setup the costs are probably not that high. But yeah if I found out someone was doing that I'd fire them.

How’s that?

I asked for permission from my boss. I manage a lab with a lot of industrial furnaces that consume hundreds of kilowatts. We source our electricity from the power company at a low rate and supplement with a solar farm. The amount of power I use is a drop in the bucket to what is available.

I asked for permission from my boss. I manage a lab with a lot of industrial furnaces that consume hundreds of kilowatts. We source our electricity from the power company at a low rate and supplement with a solar farm. The amount of power I use is a drop in the bucket to what is available.
I’m glad to hear you asked permission

If one of my employees setup a mining farm on company dime without asking they’d be terminated immediately.

Back