Crucial SSD: good quality?

MiG29TangentBoy

Limp Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148444

This is the drive I am currently considering for my yearly-ish upgrade on my main desktop (in my bio). I am a bit leery of...well, just about any SSD manufacturer other than Intel. However, the drive I really want (Intel 600 GB SSD) has mysteriously disappeared from the face of the planet and is available absolutely freaking nowhere. I like Crucial as a company, but I am not too familiar with these specific drives. I'm trying to get away from using RAID as well as traditional hard drives, and I believe that a single large SSD is the way to go...especially this drive, as it seems to have good reviews. Can anyone give me input or recommendations? Thank you for your time. :D

From everything I have read Crucial drives are up with the best in regards to reliability. Their drives have some of the lowest failure or DOA rates. I haven't read much about their newer drives but if history is any indication, you shouldn't have a problem. Also they come with a 3 year warranty if any issues arise.

one of the two best.

intel and crucial are hard to beat. Ive been beating on 8x 256 gb C300 array for months, and it just keeps on ticking :) The GC is much better than many give credit for as well. teh newer FW are just great GC> the arrays ive used, never an issue.

i have a 256gb m4 its a great product, i ended choosing it over intel 510 series from recommendations and price and dont regret it. its still only about 3 weeks old but runs 24/7, no issues and its quick.

i have an intel 320 128gb drive and the drive casing feels stronger (full plastic on m4 vs half brushed metal\half plastic on 320) but with no moving parts i don't think its a big concern.

Looks like I'll be getting this soon (sorry Intel, but if I can't find your product, I can't purchase your product!), thanks for the replies.
On a related note, how do you find the firmware updates for Crucial SSD products? I can't find anything on their website at all for this.

but with no moving parts i don't think its a big concern.

lost me there. no SSD has moving parts, unless im horribly terribly wrong LOL

i think you misspoke. neither M4 or the 320 is going to have moving parts ;)

sorry Intel, but if I can't find your product, I can't purchase your product!

that is a testament to the desirability of the drive my friend :)

On a related note, how do you find the firmware updates for Crucial SSD products? I can't find anything on their website at all for this.

there are only a few available. it is in the "support" area

that is a testament to the desirability of the drive my friend :)[/QUOTE said:
Or they just can't manufacture enough of the damn things...which is weird if you consider the massive fab plants they have. What, do they produce them in batches of 10? I have searched for that drive for a month and even Intel's own site refers to a bunch of retailers that are out of stock. Meh. I'm feeling good about this Crucial drive, and there's not a huge loss going from 600 GB to 512 GB (besides, that saves me about $300.00). I'm just jittery about finally going SSD on my main system. It will all be good. :)

dude they do massive massive batches LOL

this is a result of crazy demand :)
which is a result of GOLD reputation :)

I see the CT512M4SSD2s for 837.00 on Ebay but you could also run two 256GB C300s in RAID0 for @ $800.00 - 850.00.

Looks like you wanna stay away from RAID0 and I don't blame ya.

Even though I have 2 256GB C300s in RAID it's only for the increased performance aspects.

Many are afraid of Ebay because of warranty concerns but Crucial only cares about the warranty dates.....not where it was purchased.

Sounds kinda like you're "shakey" about SSDs anyway so I'm gonna suggest you wait for the Intel.

It ain't gonna hurt ya none and the waiting may build character. :)

Just snagged it on Newegg for $789.99. I can't wait, it will be my first time getting away from RAID 0 in over three years. Also, thankfully I have no issues when using Acronis to clone SSD drives. The Crucial drive benchmarks noticeably higher than the Intel one, so this should prove interesting.

Back