crucial rma experience = great

revenant

[H]F Squad Captain
Just a little note on my recent RMA experience with Crucial... I had 4 sticks of pc2-8500 (ballistix tracers) which were pretty old..3 years I think... one set I bought on the egg and one I bought from a forum member... all but 1 stick worked so I called Crucial and asked about replacement options... long story short, they replaced all 4 sticks with brand new 2.0v ddr2 pc2-8500 bt modules (the old style was 2.2v). The RMA process was fast, painless, and they let me know via email every step of the way what was going on. It's stuff like that which will keep me coming back to buy products from a company.

consider yourself lucky and make sure they sent working modules.
Look at several multi post here and other boards of their BS service and replacing $$$$ stick with junk.

yeah, I have read some mixed stuff also.. I need to pop them in this weekend and see how they do. these kits retail for $75 on the egg and pretty mixed reviews on them... maybe I spoke too soon, but hopefully these will work well.

They'll die on you again in like 6 months. Been down that road with Crucial. yeah, they have a lifetime warrnty, but who wants to go through the hassel of shipping RMAing memory every half a year. I'll never buy Ballistix modules again.

They'll die on you again in like 6 months. Been down that road with Crucial. yeah, they have a lifetime warrnty, but who wants to go through the hassel of shipping RMAing memory every half a year. I'll never buy Ballistix modules again.

what would be your brand of choice now?

Great to hear your RMA worked out but like others have said, the DDR2 Ballistix are very very prone to early death. Hopefully you won't have to send them back soon :(

My friend just bought some hyperx to replaced the crucial memory he had that died. His crucial kit was what he got back from his last RMA, hes going to RMA them again and sell the kit they send him back.

Hes not even O/Cing them.

Its great that their RMA service is great, but when you repeatedly have to RMA what you receive back, and have to have some on the side while they are away if you want to use the PC, whats the point?

I've done many RMAs with Crucial and can second the excellent service.
OP got burned though, those 2.2v versions were the oh-so-sweet Micron D9 ICs and lord knows what crap are in the new revisions. They may be slightly less death-prone but won't OC worth a damn would be my bet.

the micron d9s fail just the same. you should be able to get them to swap your ballistix with their regular line if you want. That's what i did. Not OCable but at least they aren't as likely to fail.

Only ever had one stick of Crucial memory give me any problems, and this was after being in use for nearly 2 years.

One email and I had a replacement stick enroute to me the next day.

Very impressed with how it went.

Only ever had one stick of Crucial memory give me any problems, and this was after being in use for nearly 2 years.

One email and I had a replacement stick enroute to me the next day.

Very impressed with how it went.

Its great that have such an RMA dept.

Its a shame they need such a great RMA dept.....

Yessir. Out of my original 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800, 1 stick was DOA. I had them replace it and almost a year later 3 out of 4 sticks kicked off one morning without warning. I replaced it with some Mushkin and never had another issue.

That said, I've since purchased some Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR3 1600. Brand new, unopened package for well below retail. Hard to turn down. I guess I'm flirting with the old saying, "Fool me one, shame on you ..."

Yeah, Crucial has great customer service and RMA policies. They do seem to be having high failure rates the past couple of years though.

Back