Crucial Releases New 20% Faster M4 SSD Firmware

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Crucial has issued a firmware update for its m4 series of SSDs and promises a range of performance improvements beyond your normal firmware fixes. The company is claiming up to a 20 percent performance increase in sequential read speeds. It is like "having your cake and eating it too" - You get those little firmware bugs fixed and you get a nice performance increase for free.

Why isn't there edit for these posts? Thats a firmware? Wow very nice I will have to update mine.

Tits. Thanks for the news. Just updated mine from 1 to 9. No problems so far. Use Macrium Reflect to backup your drive first.

Wow the windows animation does not even complete to a circle now and boot is even FASTER!!!

Hint: change your RAID in bios to AHCI then update or the updater will not find the drive. :)

When you change back to boot from Hard drive first chage AHCI to RAID and the BIOS and all is well with the world.

After the boot widows will------ Find a new drive :)

I went from this:

11huh5t.jpg

To this:

21brjbr.jpg

Very classy of them to give a free performance boost :cool:

I just ordered a 128gig m4 ...that makes me even happier about my purchase, thanks dali71! If only fedex would give it to me...they have had it on the truck for deliver 2 days and didn't attempt to drop it off. Maybe monday I can try the new firmware.

The wife and I are enjoying this speed boost on are 64GB ones...

mmmm I love free speed boosts :D

Now they just need to change the blue to a rainbow scheme and it can be 20% cooler as well! :D

Ok, so I spend a bit too much time on Memebase.

Question. What are the real world performance gains of having a fast SSD vs having a slow SSD?

Question. What are the real world performance gains of having a fast SSD vs having a slow SSD?

Answer. Virtually none, I've tried both. Access time is the primary benefit of an SSD, though the fast speeds are good too they aren't as big of a factor by a longshot.

I slapped in that FW update and my ATTO marks went from 100 write/ 400 read to 100 write/ 500 read. I would say that is a pretty good update. Nothing seems to have gone awry yet, I backed up just in case. So far so good. Thanks Crucial. I just wish Corsair would release fixes for the Force GT I have. I have been sent two of them and both have the same issue on my Z68 where it drops into SATA II as soon as it is accessed.

Anyway, the FW update was great! Thanks for the heads up OCP.

What? They didn't treat it like DLC and charge $50 to speed it up like Intel did with the 2500?

Their claimed sequential read improvement also verifies on my laptop...virtually no trade off either:

m4_firmware.jpg

Glad I picked one of these up a couple weeks ago instead of the alternatives. :)

Just updated the firmware on my 256GB M4. While my benchmarks show a definite improvement in real world use I can't tell any difference.

U.M.

Back