Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB - $99

distortion69

Limp Gawd
Warm? I tried the promo code from one of the other ads on the RealSSD... I'm not into MIR, and I prefer the RealSSD.

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

www.newegg.com, use promo code BTEKHHJ26.

Subtotal $124.99
Tax $0.00
Egg Saver (4-7 Days) $0.00
Promo code -$25.00
Order Total $99.99

Mine will be here soon :) Woot.

Warm? I tried the promo code from one of the other ads on the RealSSD... I'm not into MIR, and I prefer the RealSSD.

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

www.newegg.com, use promo code BTEKHHJ26.

Subtotal $124.99
Tax $0.00
Egg Saver (4-7 Days) $0.00
Promo code -$25.00
Order Total $99.99

Mine will be here soon :) Woot.

This may be exclusive only to those who receive email deals. I got one and used it to get a 128gb C300 for $196 shipped.. to me a deal :]

I wish I had gotten one of these codes. I would buy another 128GB C300 then.... :p

These codes were talked about for the last two days. I picked up two of these for $200. Code works once, so having them on the same ticket got me both for $200 shipped. Also, I didn't get the code in the email, but it still worked. There is another one for 10% off of memory, used that one too.

Interesting, do they send different promo's to different people? I didn't get anything about the C300, but I got promos for a bunch of other stuff, most recent one is top of the page 8GB g.skill for 70 bucks :D

It went out of stock last night.

The promo was for 20% off any SSD. I was going to buy this but it was OOS when I was ready to pull the trigger. I almost went for the Samsung 470, but couldn't quite justify it.

Vendors are now starting to offload the old gen drives. New gen drives are just around the corner.

Looking to get a SSD to install OS on... and know next to nothing about them.

How is this drive? Performance?

It's good, great in RAID0, but if you are wanting to do just a single drive I would wait till next week when the new Intel drives hit the market. You will probably start to see more good to great deals on current SSD's. Also, keep in mind that a 64Gb SSD will format to around 59Gb in Windows, so I would look at a 80Gb+ size drive or RAID two 64Gb drives together. You will get faster reads and enough capacity for your OS and games/software. You will lose TRIM support when you do RAID, but Garbage Collection will still work and the newer drives are very aggressive at keeping the drives cleaned up.

Just had a conversation with a friedn and he stated same thing, go with a larger drive (80 or more) if I wanted OS and programs/games. Didn't know about the reduction in size after a format.

I appreciate the info!
I'm in no hurry, as this is for a new rig with Sandy Bridge...

Didn't know about the reduction in size after a format.

Isn't that the same thing that happens with conventional hard drives, with the difference being that the drive is 64 billion bytes whereas Windows is reporting it in "gibibytes?"

If not, I'd like to know if SSDs actually have extra space set aside. I know they have reserve blocks, but those aren't in the advertised capacity, right?

Last edited:
SSD's have more set aside. I forgot why, but they do. So a 64Gb is actually 59Gb (roughly) and a 120Gb is 115Gb. The new 25nm is actually more, which is why OCZ got into trouble for not letting people know. For example, the Vertex 2 120Gb is now shipping with 25nm chips and formats to 107Gb. That's a pretty sizable loss of space when you think you are buying a 120Gb drive. My two two Intel 80Gb Gen 1 drive both formatted to roughly 75Gb. This is also why a few companies like Intel and Mushkin are staying with 34nm chips until the controllers are more mature.

Also, the other reason to go for a larger drive is because the performance on SSD's start to go down dramatically after they fill up past 80% if I remember correctly. So if you did a 64Gb drive, formatted would be 59Gb (roughly) and then 80% of that would mean 47Gb (roughly) of real usable space. Not a lot once you install W7 and a few games.

Also, the other reason to go for a larger drive is because the performance on SSD's start to go down dramatically after they fill up past 80% if I remember correctly. So if you did a 64Gb drive, formatted would be 59Gb (roughly) and then 80% of that would mean 47Gb (roughly) of real usable space. Not a lot once you install W7 and a few games.

Okay, but are you saying that Windows reports it as 59Gb, or it actually has 59 billion bytes (which would mean that Windows would report it as about 54.9)?

This is a good drive to have until the prices settle on the new generation drives.
I will buy a 128GB drive then. It didn't make sense for me to spend $200 now. The new drives will smoke the current ones for not that much more.

My wife has a 64GB Sandforce drive (Agility 2) that was filled to about 5GB free. It ran that way for a month and I never noticed any issues. I did eventually offload about 30GB to another drive, but it ran fine.

Good price, but I'm waiting on the new drives so I can pick up four of these or one of the Sandforce drives. Need myself a 4x SSD RAID0 for smokin' fast speeds :)

Back