Crucial RealSSD C300 2x128gb Raid0 Slow

KraXed112

Weaksauce
Subject line,

I'm somewhat new to this.

Compare.jpg

HDTunecompare.jpg

The numbers seem slower to me.

The right side is an HD tune for someone elses benchmark which were very simular to what i had. ( I didnt think to screenshow before I formatted )

Asus Sabertooth x58
Both drives plugged in to SATA 3

Raid configured through BIOS set as Raid 0

Marvell 9128 PCIe SATA6Gb/s controller

What could it be?

Just wanted extra storage space and the speed of a raid 0, Having 2 single 128gb ssd's is good
but a faster 256 in raid would be much nicer.

going from 265MB/s to 355MB/s (25%) is more than a "minor improvement" i'd say. granted you need a decent SATA3 controller to take advantage, and the Marvell definitely is not it.

So Sata 3 is useless at this point?
On that controller it is.

I tried my new Crucial 300 256GB drive on one of those Asus SATA6 cards and it just kills all the positive aspects of the drive except for sequential reads.

I'm pretty sure Gigabyte/Asus? is recommending to not run RAID on that chipset because the drives disappear.

So Just formatted and used the Intel Raid option

IntelRaid0ASSSD.jpg
IntelRaid0hdtune.jpg

So according to As ssd, its faster then a single c300, but looking at hd tune its slower.

I'm not quite understanding the numbers.

So what is it that I should do?

Run 2 single c300's off the marvel sata 3 controller?

Keep the current Intel raid 0 setup?

Using Marvel for the sata3 raid is off the board.

** One more thing, Should I be zero'ing the drive each time I do a re-format?

Last edited:
Keep the current Intel raid 0 setup?
My God YES!

Look at those numbers!

927 for a final score.....The best I've ever had was a 706 from 2 Intel 80GB G2s in RAID0, and that's when they were brand new right-out-of-the-box. They never hit that score again.

I have no idea what's going on with HDDTune but it doesn't matter.

You could install the latest drivers from here but your scores are great as is.

Had I known they were gonna run that good I may have pruchased 2 x 128GB instead of my single 256GB drive.

Last edited:
Since HD tune isn't a good test, then all I have left is AS SSD.

This is with the updated intel drivers 10.0.0.1046

IntelRaid1046.jpg

Thanks guys for all the help. I'll stick with this config and start installing programs.

Benchmark your system several times over the next week to see if you have any increase from 1043.

Yep, Marvell is horrible. Even in a non-Raid setup, if I pushed too much data to a drive on a Marvell controller, the dives would just disconnect and disappear.

It's a shame that you're using an Asus board, OP. You're on an old Intel Option ROM 8.0. I've tried swapping it on a Rampage III Extreme for 10.0, didn't work. 9.6, didn't work. 8.9.1, didn't work. My Gigabyte came with 8.9. I modded it to 9.6, worked. When 10.0 came out, I modded it in and it works.

8.7 and 8.9 had some beneficial changes for SSDs. You could be even better off with a newer Intel Matrix RAID Option ROM if only Asus would support later versions. (Maybe they are using a deprecated API that was dropped in later versions... not sure)

This is a fresh format with the stripe size of 16, also with updated intel drivers.

Intel1046stripe16.jpg

Gonna reformat with stripe size of 64k right now.

Ran it again after a reboot, it went to 1097

Last edited:
I've always used a 128 stripe.

I'm glad I sent that drive back on Tuesday....this would be way too tempting.

Okay, Last test run is a bit slower with 64k vs 16k
I'll most likely stick with 64, I've read on the web its a good medium for gaming and applications. Course what do I know I'm a newb at this stuff

Intel1046Stripe64.jpg

Small stripe if you deal with small files in random access, large stripe if you deal with large files, somewhere in between if you deal with a mix. I think 64 is a good value.

I just installed an SSD, myself. I can't remember the last time I actually installed chipset drivers. Do I need to do that now that I've got an SSD? It's an MSI GD80 board, which uses the Intel P55 chipset. I installed some drivers for the Jmicron controller, but I only did that because I just plugged a random HD into it since it was easier to get to. The SSD is plugged into a "regular" SATA port in AHCI mode.

I just installed an SSD, myself. I can't remember the last time I actually installed chipset drivers. Do I need to do that now that I've got an SSD? It's an MSI GD80 board, which uses the Intel P55 chipset. I installed some drivers for the Jmicron controller, but I only did that because I just plugged a random HD into it since it was easier to get to. The SSD is plugged into a "regular" SATA port in AHCI mode.

Yes. Get RAIDFix (freeware), run it, reboot and switch into RAID mode (even if you don't plan to actually make an array) and then install the latest Intel Matrix RAID 10.0 drivers. RAID mode will give you the best performance. RAIDFix will let you switch to RAID mode easily. It does not force you to run RAID; it will still work if you don't switch to RAID mode.

Small stripe if you deal with small files in random access, large stripe if you deal with large files, somewhere in between if you deal with a mix. I think 64 is a good value.
I think the reason I went with 128 is because of the SSDs erase block size and by doing so caused less writes?

:D

I never could afford the "best" of anything.

If I could I'd have a coupla those screaming Revo thingies.:)

No you wouldn't because those aren't 'the best' either. You have standards!!!!!

Apologies to OP for hijacking thread.

Back