Crucial MX100 SSD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Our friends at PC Perspective have Crucial's new MX100 SSD on the test bench this evening for a little review action.

Given the MX100 was to be a budget SSD primarily meant to target the upgrade market, it was refreshing to see such strong performance from 16nm flash. Even better was the extremely competitive launch pricing. The 512GB capacity delivers excellent performance at less than $0.50/GB.

I'd say "no way" to the 128GB at $80; it would have to drop to $56 to be in line with the 256GB and 512GB in terms of price per GB, and its write speed is really low. The Samsung EVO 120GB is $84 and it writes way, way faster.

But the 256GB at $110 and 512GB at $225 look great with the Samsung EVO 120GB at $135 and 250GB at $267.

Reviews show it's getting the same performance as the m550. Any advantages of the m550 over the mx100?

I'd say "no way" to the 128GB at $80; it would have to drop to $56 to be in line with the 256GB and 512GB in terms of price per GB, and its write speed is really low. The Samsung EVO 120GB is $84 and it writes way, way faster.

But the 256GB at $110 and 512GB at $225 look great with the Samsung EVO 120GB at $135 and 250GB at $267.

There is still fixed costs of a chassis, controller, assembly, packaging, etc. even if the higher capacity drives are $110. $80 isn't completely unreasonable for a retail price, and they should hit the $60 range with rebates/sales.

Been tempted to pick the 500gb model up, there's a sale going around and the drive would be mine for under $180 with a coupon and discover purchase. It's so hard to resist.

Nice. All capacities on sale at TD ($70/$100/$200) for the next couple of days, too.

I think the pricing on SSD's lately is great, I'd get a 512 but my HD with SSD cache (Intel SRT) is just so fast I don't know if there's really a point. Windows feels seamless and I seem to load BF4 maps before most players.

Still waiting for 1tb for $100. not going to rebuild until 2016 anyway. hopefully prices will be lower then. a 1tb ssd + a 6tb storage drive sounds good to me.

Still waiting for 1tb for $100. not going to rebuild until 2016 anyway. hopefully prices will be lower then. a 1tb ssd + a 6tb storage drive sounds good to me.

1tb hdd still go for 80 and look how long they have been around even with all the competition they've received from ssd's

Smaller SSDs have never been great in terms of price per GB. With the power loss capacitors, I wonder how well the 128GB drives would work out for ZFS slog devices.

just ordered mine from the egg and with $10 off promo code made it too good of a deal to pass up for me to replace my mechanical one with in new build and I have spent more for worse

Spending the past 5 years and the next 2 using a computer not equipped with an SSD sounds like hell to me.

Bought two 256GB units to replace the two 2-year old Crucial M4 256GB that are in my machine now. I'll use the M4's in the HTPC or family room PCs or something.

Got mine in the mail today. Then I realized my motherboard doesn't have an 6Gb SATA ports so I'm stuck with the 3Gb. Still fine and mine faster than any of my mechanical hard drives.

I got mine (MX100 512GB) today.

Speed does not matter much. I will use it for DVD rips on trips to augment the SSD on my notebook. Just has to be fast enough to send the videos over a USB2.

I got mine today and won't be using it till my 4790K arrives... but I'm starting to question my purchase upon seeing the Sandisk Extreme II drive's price's dropping (however, they're starting to climb up again due to inventory I suppose). Although this drive is targeted for those with a budget wouldn't this (the mx100 512GB) still make a good drive for OS/Games? Based off some reviews it seems like the performance is comparable and in the same league as the 840 EVO. Could someone help me feel at peace with this purchase of mine? I was planning on using it for my OS and steam/origin games for my next build (290x, 4790k)...

I got mine today and won't be using it till my 4790K arrives... but I'm starting to question my purchase upon seeing the Sandisk Extreme II drive's price's dropping (however, they're starting to climb up again due to inventory I suppose). Although this drive is targeted for those with a budget wouldn't this (the mx100 512GB) still make a good drive for OS/Games? Based off some reviews it seems like the performance is comparable and in the same league as the 840 EVO. Could someone help me feel at peace with this purchase of mine? I was planning on using it for my OS and steam/origin games for my next build (290x, 4790k)...

I got my mx100 512GB for $185 during the tigerdirect sell. I'd imagine we will be seeing it again soon under $200 while the sandisk will always be more. Also they both have about the same specs, right?

How are the MX100s working for everyone? I was going to get the 256GB to replace my 64GB Crucial M4. No matter what I do the 64GB fills up every 6-8 months.

I just bought a 512GB MX100 from Newegg. I'm using it as a data drive. I don't have a lot of data so I took out the 1TB HDD I had in my system and replaced it with this. My system is now 100% SSDs.

I think I'll run some tests on it tonight.

Back