Crucial M500

p.i.m.p

Gawd
my new PC is running the samsung 950 pro 256GB M.2, but i want to connect my old crucial M500 240, i've tried and tried but can't get it to initialize. HELP

PC space

In Win 303
i7-6700k
Corsair H60
Asus z170-A
950 Pro 256GB
Seagate 6TB external
G.Skill Aegis 2x16GB 2400
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Audioengine A5+
Win 10

Sorry if this may seem too basic...

Can you go to disk management --> check if your computer can 'see' the disk in windows, and proceed to give the disk a drive letter?

i'm trying to initialize it as a MBR and get a message saying "the system cannot find the file specified", no option to give it a letter

Last edited:
bios is ACHI
tried diskpart - no go
the SSD shows up as working but can't initialize (greyed out) clicking properties says the disk is running properly

as i said before, this was my boot drive from old PC but i'd like to use it on my new PC for games

bios is ACHI
tried diskpart - no go
the SSD shows up as working but can't initialize (greyed out) clicking properties says the disk is running properly

as i said before, this was my boot drive from old PC but i'd like to use it on my new PC for games
can you post a picture of disk management

also quoate me beccause i dont have this thread watched

Attachments

• DM2.JPG
    DM2.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 38
only the M.2 shows up in BIOS
so the SATA drive doesn;t even show in BIOS? If thats the case the drive is dead or bad cable or bad port.

basic trouble shooting.

start at lowest point and work up.

Drive power? Yes
cable? Yes
in BIOS? No?

That means you know where to start as in try new cable, port, or whatever.

the drive doesn't show up at all
From the .jpg you posted it looks like the disk shows up, but isn't initialized. Have you tried downloading a Linux .iso and burning it to a DVD or USB stick. Then boot to it and see if Linux sees the drive. If is does then format the drive to FAT or NTFS and you'll be good to go. I bought a USB to SATA adapter and used it to do this with 4 SSDs that windows had trouble seeing. Hope this helps.

Back