Crucial M500 960GB vs. Samsung 840 EVO 1TB

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Crucial M500 960GB SSD is going head-to-head with the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB in this clash of the terabyte titans over at The Tech Report today.

Despite the fact that they both sell for over $500, the Crucial M500 960GB and Samsung 840 EVO 1TB are relative bargains. These SSDs have the lowest price per gigabyte around, and they're very different drives. We've pitted them against each other in an epic clash of terabyte titans.

I went with the M500 personally, imho durability > minor perf differences, but that's just me. Either one is a great product.

Dunno I had 2 crucial m4 go bad on me inside of a year. I think a hw reset or bios might help but at the time tons of issue reports made me switch to sammies

4 sammies and no issue so far... Over a year too.

Didnt the EVOs get some of software update that dramatically increased their performance?

Dunno I had 2 crucial m4 go bad on me inside of a year. I think a hw reset or bios might help but at the time tons of issue reports made me switch to sammies

4 sammies and no issue so far... Over a year too.

Well here's hoping mine doesn't run into your problem, I don't like resetting stuff. Luckily nothing on it worth backing up though, it's just an OS/Application drive.

SSDs have a 1.5% failure rate in general (vs around 5% for hard drives btw), so someone's gotta get the bad ones, thanks for doing the overtime lol.

Last edited:
I've had 3 M4s in the past. They were all good and never failed me. I upgraded them all to EVO 500GB and even added a couple to some lab servers. They're all running well and are fast. I don't think you could go wrong with either really.

Either would be great but the Crucial M500 960GB has a better GB/$ ratio right now so that would be my suggestion.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would like to know this too. It's driving me crazy right now and would love to get either one. Not sure which. I would assume the Crucial would be made better (should last longer) but a tad slower than the EVO 1TB? I might just go for the 960GB, mainly because it's $40 cheaper about on Amazon.

Cheers for the link. I'm looking for a 500GB drive, either the Evo or m500. From the reviews I've read, they're both solid drives, so I'm going to go with whatever is cheapest at the time

Back