Crucial M4 64GB SSD for $84.95 + FS @ buy.com

KarateBob

Gawd
Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD) - CT064M4SSD2

http://www.buy.com/prod/221150371.html

List Price: $179.00 You Save 52%
Our Price: $84.95 + FREE SHIPPING

$1.327 per gig. Same Marvell controller as the Intel 510 and Corsair Performance Pro.

It's $99.99 (w/FS) @ newegg. I would have gotten this if I didn't order a Vertex 3 yesterday :eek:

Hmmm. This sounds much more reliable for my HTPC than the edge 128gb I just RMAd.

Quick question for you HD gurus.

Would it be faster to run one large SSD with OS and games or can I buy this for just the OS and have my games on a larger SSD?

Shouldn't matter that much.
I would get another one for RAID, but I heard it's still not ironed out yet.

Would it be faster to run one large SSD with OS and games or can I buy this for just the OS and have my games on a larger SSD?

I have a 128gb M4 in my main rig for the OS/programs and some games, a 750gb WD black for the rest of my games and semi-frequently accessed data and then a few slow drives for mass storage.

Both scenarios will be fast. I'm just curious why you'd run two different size SSDs. Do you currently have a slower SSD that in the above scenario would be demoted to game duty? If so, that should work great.

I just picked this up for my wife's laptop (don't forget FW 2.5% cashback) because she currently has a 100GB HDD and is barely using any of it. With the deals this week on the 64GB and 128GB, we will have an all-M4 household. Hopefully the accolades are spot on or we're screwed :)

OS only on SSD will be better than no SSD, but OS+games+apps on SSD will be even better. It all comes down to what you can afford...

Dang. If I had 2 more SATA 3 ports on this MOBO I'd add a pair of these to my RAID. :(

In for one, also signed up and clicked through FW but my FW link said 6% so *shrug* we'll see.

In for one, also signed up and clicked through FW but my FW link said 6% so *shrug* we'll see.

It's "up to 6%." If you scroll down, you'll see it's 2.5% for computers and electronics and 6% for jewelery.

for that price 4 of these in a raid 0 with 1GB/s read speeds..

Both scenarios will be fast. I'm just curious why you'd run two different size SSDs. Do you currently have a slower SSD that in the above scenario would be demoted to game duty? If so, that should work great.

I just picked this up for my wife's laptop (don't forget FW 2.5% cashback) because she currently has a 100GB HDD and is barely using any of it. With the deals this week on the 64GB and 128GB, we will have an all-M4 household. Hopefully the accolades are spot on or we're screwed :)

I do not have any SSDs right now. I wanted to keep the OS on the 64gb so if I ever had to reformat it would be an easy task. I heard partitioning SSDs are not a good idea so the ability to reformat that without having to move stuff appealed to me.

I have 2 of these drives and like them a lot, however the website is a bit misleading. You can typically buy these on newegg for about $105 with free shipping... not the $179 like it states.

It's "up to 6%." If you scroll down, you'll see it's 2.5% for computers and electronics and 6% for jewelery.

I used to like Fatwallet cashback but not so much anymore. Once in a while I'll use it but more often I'll go with Discover or Chase. With my Chase Freedom card I can get 5% cashback plus the standard 1% for anything.

Did the price go back up?

I bought it for $90 and I used the 6% FW cash back offer. I was expecting the price to be 84.99 minus the 6% cash back from FW.

Plan on using this drive for my OS+ UT3 and BF3. Also plan on using a Vertex 2 for caching with a separate storage drive. Hope it all works out with RST and my Z68 mb.

Vertex 2 is working ok for caching right now but by itself or in RADI 0 I have had nothing but problems with it. I hope Crucial M4 is way better.

Last edited:
I used to like Fatwallet cashback but not so much anymore. Once in a while I'll use it but more often I'll go with Discover or Chase. With my Chase Freedom card I can get 5% cashback plus the standard 1% for anything.

I'm kind of confused by your post. FW cash back doesn't take credit card rewards into account so it's accretive. You'll get both the cash back and the credit card rewards so I'm not sure what you're losing by using the FW link. Also, the Freedom Card only gives 5% back in certain categories, none of which are Buy.com this year. If you used FW cash back with the Freedom Card on this deal it would be 2.5% back from FW and 1% back from Chase. That's what I did.

Back