Crucial M4 512gb vs OCZ Vertex 4 512gb

I'd say it depends on the system you're putting it into. The Crucial forums are filled with people who've had problems with the most recent firmware for the M4s, especially if you're putting it into an OSX machine. From my own (entirely anecdotal!) experiences, I'm not sold on the M4 just yet. The one that was just delivered to me is already being RMAed; wasn't detected by any system I own (Macs, Dell notebooks, HP desktops, etc).

I have put about 30+ M4's of various sizes into numerous Precision 390, 3400, 3500, and OptiPlex's. With the 0309 and 000F firmware they are rock solid. In fact they did not have any problems for 6 months until the SMART bug error cropped up. They were very buggy pre 0309 firmware as L2ARC and ZIL drives in a few ZFS arrays that we have built. I would not recommend them for that purpose. For general Windows 7 OS boot drives or *NIX boot drives that suport TRIM they are fantastic though.

Getting the FW up to date is the key with the M4.

I just recently bought a Vertex 4 512GB drive for testing though and I will say it does feel very snappy. I still need to update the FW on it, but so far so good. You could probably buy either one and be totally happy with it. Just remember to always backup your data to another drive, array, or online. It is tough to argue the GB/$$$ of the M4 however. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I thought that the m4 was kind of old, but I'll get it then. Thanks.

Last edited:
It is a bit old compared to the Vertex 4. It will still be TONS faster than a rust spinner though :)

The 512gb M4 is a solid drive. I use mine as my games/steam drive and it's been a pleasure to own.

Back