Crucial M4 256GB SSD - $179.99 + Free Shipping

Thanks. Now I have 2 on the way. I got one on Sunday for $199 at newegg and the second at $179..

Good fuck, these are dropping in price faster than what I thought. Smoking hot deal.

Maybe the 512GB WILL be around $200 by end of year!

Amazing deal I can't deny that. I can get by with 128GB pretty easy myself so I'm set with what I've got but this is a HOT deal for those who want a bigger drive.

Prices on SSD's have been dropping a lot recently wonder when they'll stop.

Prices on SSD's have been dropping a lot recently wonder when they'll stop.

They won't stop as long as spindle drives continue to eek down in price like they have. Hard for average Joe or Mary to justify going with a 64-128GB SSD when they could get a 1TB SATA3 7200RPM for the same price. In the consumer computer market, the perception of bigger quantity almost always trumps better quality and speed.

How would this compare (speed-wise) to an OCZ Agility 3 240 GB? Real world...not stated specs.

How would this compare (speed-wise) to an OCZ Agility 3 240 GB? Real world...not stated specs.

It SHOULD be substantially faster and more reliable based on synchronous vs asynchronous nand difference. Whether or not you can really notice that difference much other than benchmarking is debateable.

Came in here to post this after browsing Newegg's SSDs...the Plextor for $199 AR seems like the better drive, but this one is still a great drive and is $180 with no waiting around for a rebate. Hard to go wrong either way, really.

It SHOULD be substantially faster and more reliable based on synchronous vs asynchronous nand difference. Whether or not you can really notice that difference much other than benchmarking is debateable.
I did always feel a little underwhelmed with the Agility 3. I replaced a Crucial C300 128 GB drive with it, and didn't really notice any faster speeds, even in benchmarking.

Came in here to post this after browsing Newegg's SSDs...the Plextor for $199 AR seems like the better drive, but this one is still a great drive and is $180 with no waiting around for a rebate. Hard to go wrong either way, really.

The Crucial M4 is a much more proved performer.. At equal prices the Crucial is the better drive. So with the Crucial being 20 bucks cheaper there is no reason to get the Plextor.

Man... I must resist.... I already have 4 240GB SSD drives.. All different from different deals :)

Have an agility 3 240 as well and was thinking about side grading since you could probably get ~$175 for the agility 3 240.

Took a look at the anandtech bench comparison here...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/355?vs=373

The are neck to neck in real world comparisons. However, in raw benchmarks (which I feel are pretty useless), the crucial m4 is quit a bit faster. I don't think it's worth the effort of a swap.

What's irritating me is I needed a 200+ gig for my desktop when the 60/90 gig drives were going on crazy sale. I bite on a ocz agility 3 for >$1/gig after being sick from waiting. Then I need a 90-120gig drive for my notebook and only the 200+ gig drives are on sale. ARGH!

I did always feel a little underwhelmed with the Agility 3. I replaced a Crucial C300 128 GB drive with it, and didn't really notice any faster speeds, even in benchmarking.

Are you comparing your 240gb agility 3 with a 128gb C300? Larger drives are almost always faster than smaller drives which may account for some of your difference. Plus the M4 is supposedly much faster than the C300.

The Crucial M4 is a much more proved performer.. At equal prices the Crucial is the better drive.

That kind of goes against everything I've read. :confused:

So with the Crucial being 20 bucks cheaper there is no reason to get the Plextor.

5-year warranty, toggle NAND, better performance in most benchmarks, more peace of mind? Supposedly Plextor tests/burns in each drive for 20 hours prior to shipping to ensure an annual failure rate of only 0.5%...that's probably up there with the venerable Intel X25-M.

I'm not saying the M4 is a bad drive - far from it. I'm looking at it as a potential purchase along with the Samsung 830 and the Plextor. Just saying that your post seems very pro-M4 without being objective. Do you own one or something?

Rat bastards. $180 was what I paid for the 128 M4, 1 year ago. Just ordered a 256 M4 from Amazon last Friday for $200. They "don't price match" but their cost went down $10 since Friday and she adjusted my bill. Great drive. Anyone know the best free way to clone a 128 to a new 256 and align it? I've been using free version of Macrium Reflect to make weekly backups, but I don't think the free version will clone. Great software, but I'd rather spend $60 bucks on ammo and fine Kentucky bourbon.

I've been extremely impressed with the free Paragon Backup software. My weekly backups have been running hiccup-free for a couple of years, fully automated, and I've even had to test the restore functionality. It worked like a charm.

Rat bastards. $180 was what I paid for the 128 M4, 1 year ago. Just ordered a 256 M4 from Amazon last Friday for $200. They "don't price match" but their cost went down $10 since Friday and she adjusted my bill. Great drive. Anyone know the best free way to clone a 128 to a new 256 and align it? I've been using free version of Macrium Reflect to make weekly backups, but I don't think the free version will clone. Great software, but I'd rather spend $60 bucks on ammo and fine Kentucky bourbon.

I just replaced a 120gb Corsair with the 256gb Crucial. I used Clonezilla and it worked great.

Thanks PitBuLL, will try.

On the phone now with Amazon getting additional 10 dollar refund. They changed the price twice in 1 hour. Amazon is tits when it comes to customer service. They once comped me a $200 dollar item when the merchant was being a douche.

Still don't charge tax in MA. :D

I am tempted but I think I will wait till black friday, it should be crazy this year. I think we could see $.50/GB.

I am tempted but I think I will wait till black friday, it should be crazy this year. I think we could see $.50/GB.

Yeah but if you bite now you get an awesome drive to use for 5 months in between and you dont have to wait in a ridiculously long line out in the cold morning. Of course the longer you wait the price will go down. That's how electronics work as the technology advances.

at this rate, the prices of SSDs will beat mechanical drives :D. Seriously though, I hope they crash and burn out of business for price gouging us.

Dayum! Is it just these M4's that are dropping so quickly, or are other SSD's following suit?

Yeah but if you bite now you get an awesome drive to use for 5 months in between and you dont have to wait in a ridiculously long line out in the cold morning.
Who goes out in the cold on Black Friday? Online shopping FTW.

Yeah but if you bite now you get an awesome drive to use for 5 months in between and you dont have to wait in a ridiculously long line out in the cold morning. Of course the longer you wait the price will go down. That's how electronics work as the technology advances.

I agree with you if this was 1996...but Black Friday shopping can be done at the comfort of your own home now :)

I went ahead and bit on this deal :)

i bought SSDs for all 4 of my computers a couple months ago at $1/GB. told myself that was the point id wait for, and jumped at the chance. very surprised they have continued to drop like a rock since then. crucial is selling a metric shit ton of drives this quarter. i hope theyre still making money on each of these.

That would be a good idea for some people but I already own 5 SSDs. My issue now is that I want larger capacity so I can keep more games on them. If they get down to $0.50 I think I can get 512Gb drives and I will be really happy.

Found this on accident just cruising through SSDs and snagged one. Came to see if it was on Hot Deals and sure enough.

The 512GB version has been floating on the $500 range lately...but that $179 price is incredible.

512 has been ~400 for the last week and is currently available for $399 at least one place I looked today. Personally probably going to grab the 256 as soon as all my refinancing goes through and I figure out what $ I have left sometime next week.

If this goes much lower I'll have to buy it. $120-150 would be more of the sweet spot for me since I've already got one SSD.

I'm going to keep my Crucial C300 as my Windows 7 drive and use this as my Steam drive!:D

Back