Crucial M4 256GB SATA III SSD $160 - Newegg

grrrr..no funds ATM...lol. just bought a 560 Ti FTW that I really didn't need. It sits in a box on the shelf while my 128bg Samsung 830 fills to capacity! Come on Black Friday Deals!

Hmm .... I had Crucial M4's slotted as one of the more dependable ssd's out there, but lots of the newer reviews indicate this drive currently has a failure rate that is concerning.

which review is that? i had to upgrade my m4 firmware twice since i got it but those fixed the issues which i didn't experience anyways.

I was thinking about waiting for the Samsung 830 to hit $150-160...hmm...

that that sucks for them. those newegg reviews are iffy sometimes..

Regardless i just got my Sammy 830 256 from the deal last week to replace my m4 =)

I can tell you that my Crucial M4 256 has dropped out on me three times in the past week alone, and I've had it just under a year (got it in December 2011). I can't trust it as my primary drive any more, and I'm going to be doing an RMA with them pretty soon if this crap keeps up.

My M4 128 has been great. No issues with it. Maybe the 256 are different.

Black Friday is almost here, I can't wait to see the prices then.

I read in the most recent Maximum PC mag that SSD prices are going up, then again, this comes from a magazine that gives damn near everything a "kick ass" award. I miss the days of "Boot" before all this.

Why would prices go up?

They've been saying that for months (elsewhere, besides Maximum PC), supposedly NAND manufacturers are all scaling back production because supply has outpaced demand... One of the top four manufacturers was making a move to buy another one of them too IIRC. A few months before that a lot of people were saying to expect drops as larger player tried to muscle out smaller ones tho, heh.

I'm not sure I buy that it'll bump prices, they may sag and not go down anymore for months as we transition over to smaller NAND (that's already in production and going into newer drives like the 840), but I doubt they'll rise sharply... Unless everyone suddenly introduces new pricier models and suddenly drops the older models, which hasn't been the norm. I doubt demand's gonna remain flat for long either with the holidays and Win 8 coming, not to mention more and more tablets (Fire, etc.).

Prices might go up but you also have Black Friday and Christmas sales so I don't think there is any reason to panic. On top of that you always have a steady decline, prices going up might just look like prices staying the same so to speak. So short term, I mean we are looking at around 2 months I think its going to be OK and many more deals will show up.

grrrr..no funds ATM...lol. just bought a 560 Ti FTW that I really didn't need. It sits in a box on the shelf while my 128bg Samsung 830 fills to capacity! Come on Black Friday Deals!

Wanna sell that 560 ti? pm me, I'm on the fence with a new build and a good deal on a vid card would probably tip it.

I can tell you that my Crucial M4 256 has dropped out on me three times in the past week alone, and I've had it just under a year (got it in December 2011). I can't trust it as my primary drive any more, and I'm going to be doing an RMA with them pretty soon if this crap keeps up.

Did you flash the latest firmware on the M4?

Did you flash the latest firmware on the M4?

Yes, after it went out the first time last week I DL'ed and updated the latest firmware for the M4 and also updated my BIOS on my MB. Didn't seem to make a difference. Moved to a WD Black 750 for the time being, but there's no comparison speedwise. I'm going to grab any important stuff off it and try it again as soon as I can free up some time. I've been loving the SSD so far until i started having these issues.

Back