Crucial c300 inconsistency

lunatyc420

n00b
Hi all,

semi issue here:

My c300 is acting inconsistently and I have no idea why, however I have 3 bench tests from varying times here if anyone can see a problem.

From left to right, excuse the quick image bodgery:

Today - MSI H67 sata 3 / AHCI setting
2 weeks ago - MSI H67 sata 3 / AHCI
Feb 2011 - Asus P6X58D-E sata 3 / AHCI

obviously the oldest one is from a a different mobo but being sata 3 i'd think there wouldn't be a great deal of difference.

also, during the 4k-64thrd write on todays bench, some of the readings were hitting 1675mb which is something new.

In the real world, this translates to different loading time for programs, sometimes I get photoshop up instantly and other times its twice as long, same with booting, sometimes the bios takes a little longer to boot then other times with no explanation.

Any advice?

(In all cases Prefect is set to boot only and nothing else is running)

HUH??? Seriously?

Dude - totally normal. Not every run is going to be the exact same, c'mon now.

This is the nature of SSDs. Trim, garbage collection, and the amount of space used all have impacts on performance. The C300 just happens to be one of the more frantic drives out there in terms of performance. The Anandtech review covers this.

Not only are you testing at different times, you are testing on different motherboards. Even USB2.0 speeds vary, sometimes drastically, from motherboard to motherboard.

But:

also, during the 4k-64thrd write on todays bench, some of the readings were hitting 1675mb which is something new.

In the real world, this translates to different loading time for programs, sometimes I get photoshop up instantly and other times its twice as long, same with booting, sometimes the bios takes a little longer to boot then other times with no explanation.

Any advice
^^^ i can see why you're curious about this part. It may be par for the course however...

I'm an SSD noob, and was coming here to figure out the same thing.

I ran three AS SSD runs right after another on my C300 (I have the Intel Rapid Storage disabled because of the slow windows boot issues) and saw scores of 619, 515, 555. I guess this is normal though?

I also saw my 4k-64 writes hit 3k MB/s for a second. Not sure what is goin on.

Thanks for the replies,

I should have made it more clear that the loading times can vary from say 3 seconds to load Photoshop CS4 to about 30 maybe even 35, which although you have stated frantic but I would of thought that a difference of that scale would be more problematic?

If this is just normal then there's nothing to worry about :rolleyes:

This is the nature of SSDs. Trim, garbage collection, and the amount of space used all have impacts on performance. The C300 just happens to be one of the more frantic drives out there in terms of performance. The Anandtech review covers this.
Perfect.

When you beat the drive with 3 runs of AS-SSD it's going to become slower while it attempts to recover clean space so you can beat it again. :)

The time it takes to recover depends upon many factors as mentioned above.

Thanks havermeyer I will check and see if I can get a fix, it may be one of the chips is dying.

Old Hippie, the drive was never beaten with 3 runs of AS-SSD, if you read the original post it clearly says today, two weeks and feb.

I also understand how garbage collection and trim work, as well as how solid state storage works in the first place, I posted here because a variance of 35 seconds in loading times is not normal.

I didn't post on here because I'm a complete noob looking for everything to be constant or seeking a 10mbs difference here or there :(

So would u say these 30 secondoad times feel like a freeze? This is one issue going around that should be fixed next firmware at the end of this month like the poster said above. Some have moved the drive onto the sata 2 port to stop the freezing. Some have no problem at all. I am holding off on loading mine until the new firmware. I have sh!t luck.

So would u say these 30 secondoad times feel like a freeze? This is one issue going around that should be fixed next firmware at the end of this month like the poster said above. Some have moved the drive onto the sata 2 port to stop the freezing. Some have no problem at all. I am holding off on loading mine until the new firmware. I have sh!t luck.

there was a discussion about this on another forum, some people have theorized it depends on hardware combo's, bios revisions, or just a bad combination of all of the above. i'll quote the post below

"There's a long thread on the crucial forums where some people have some long pauses when Windows is installed on a C300. It seems to be rare, maybe only a few percent or less of people with C300s experience it. My best guess is that it is hardware dependent, maybe certain motherboards do not get along with the windows drivers and the C300 firmware. I imagine the problem is/was difficult to track down. I hope Micron was able to find it and fix it. "

At least crucial is recognizing the issue, and attempting a fix!

Old Hippie, the drive was never beaten with 3 runs of AS-SSD, if you read the original post it clearly says today, two weeks and feb.
I wasn't saying you did that, just making a point about the recovery process. ;)

where some people have some long pauses when Windows is installed on a C300.
Damn....I thought I was the only one and I never suspected the drives.

My pauses (4-5 minutes) only happen when installing Windows, not booting, and I didn't think it was the same problem the OP was talking about.....or is it?

Old Hippie,

just tried updating to a different set of drivers and that seems to have cured this, I guess it was something incompatible with something else, which seems a bit random but ah well.

Intel drivers seemed to have fixed this so thanks all for the help :D

I started off with these drivers because of this post.. Mine has been perfect so far.

Back