Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM $24.99AR Free Shipping

davidtran007

[H]ard|Gawd
Newegg.com has the Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail for $49.99 - $25.00 rebate = $24.99AR with FREE SHIPPING.

Limit (2) two rebates per product per address, except where prohibited by law.

Model:
  • Brand: Crucial
  • Series: Ballistix Tracer
  • Model: BL2KIT12864AL804
  • Type: 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

Tech Spec:
  • Capacity: 2GB (2 x 1GB)
  • Speed: DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
  • Cas Latency: 4
  • Timing: 4-4-4-12
  • Voltage: 2.2V
  • Heat Spreader: Yes
  • Features: SLI Ready with LEDs

was just about to post this.

I really want to jump on this.

But don't have $50 to front right now!!!

I dont want to thread crap, but I have had awful luck with this ram. There are threads about the horrors of this ram. I ask that you stay away for your own sake.
I have a box on my desk with 2 sticks of this very ram in it going back to vendor.
For the 3rd time.

I dont want to thread crap, but I have had awful luck with this ram. There are threads about the horrors of this ram. I ask that you stay away for your own sake.
I have a box on my desk with 2 sticks of this very ram in it going back to vendor.
For the 3rd time.

I've done three RMA's of this same ram, but it wasn't because it was bad ram, the ram was great, overclocks great and is stable. The problem with these memory modules is basically, over-volting, in my situation, I didn't know these were sensitive to voltage, so here I am, giving them 2.2/2.25v and they kept failing after 2/2.5weeks. So i suggest, on the safe side, no more than 2.1v / 2.2v depending on your luck.

If you do not overclock, keep them at a nice 1.8/1.9v, they'll run at their rated speed and timings at that voltage.

Also, this ram does not generate alot of heat, so don't think that putting a fan infront of them @ 2.4v will solve this common problem, these things rarely get warm to the touch. Make sure your motherboard doesn't overvolt.

For the 3rd time.
that's fairly normal and expected with this type of ram. I've had 5 sets of d9gmh/gkx go bad on me in the past. Doesn't stop me one bit from getting more when a hot deal on them comes around ;).

That said, there's a good chance these are actually the newer 1gbit ic's. These don't scale well at all, and don't handle voltage well either, at least compared to gmh/gkx. At the stock 800 4-4-4 2.2v, it just doesn't sound like it'd last long, or have much more room for additional overclocking. That said, if they are d9gmh though, then :)

would i run in to an issue with overclocking if I hve the ballistix 1066 RAM already? i'm looking to do a 4 x 1 GB configuration of this brand RAM.

These Tracers are single-sided, or double-sided? If they're single-sided, stay away. If they're still making them double-sided, then they're legit.

they dont manufacture ballistix ddr2 anymore, so if you need any, buy it now. if you are going to buy it, get the ballistix pc 5200 cas 3, its hand picked d9gmh, used to be called the 10 anniversary lan party or something. and one of the above guys is right, d9 (seems like especially gmh) dies a lot, and not just in evga 680i mb's. and it also seems especially crucial d9, but maybe thats just because they sell tons of it. i have had a stick or 2 of g.skill hz die over the last year or 2.

they don't manufacture ballistix ddr2 anymore??

as for the ballistix pc2-5300, I got a set of that about a month ago. Indeed was still d9gmh :):)

running great!

I mixed these with a set of 2x1gb non-tracer Ballistix and they've been working great for awhile now. Glad I snagged them when I did.

hmm not a bad idea...

any other suggestions before i bite on anything?

1GB x 4 gives you less headroom than 2GB x 2, I would look into spending an extra, $20 on a 4x4GB configuration, later down the road if you want 8GB, just fill in the remainder memory slots :)

1GB x 4 gives you less headroom than 2GB x 2, I would look into spending an extra, $20 on a 4x4GB configuration, later down the road if you want 8GB, just fill in the remainder memory slots :)
Also note, you can run 2x 2GB with your existing 2x 1GB. That'll give you a total of 6GB in dual channel mode (each channel will need to have one 1GB stick and one 2GB stick for dual channel mode to work).

1x4GB is wrong. [/url]

How is it wrong?

Works just fine in the hella fast box in my sig. I'm never going to want 8GB in this system. Since I run XP I rarely use over 1GB unless I'm playing a game.

well if you'd like to be technical, its very hard to get a hold of a 4GB stick :p

but its seriously not wrong. if you have the right RAM (Ballistix will do it), you can overclock just as well.

Back