Crucial Ballistix is officially dead

Ballistix always rang like a low tier wannabe. It was never a name instilling confidence.

I don't see it that way. When you have brands and names like HyperX, G.Skill, Ripjaws, etc. Ballistix didn't sound out of place. I honestly don't care, Crucial isn't going away and I doubt Micron will stop making good RAM. I do recall reading some years back that Ballistix was supposed to go the way of HyperX and spin off into a larger gaming focused company much like Kingston did with HyperX. Guess that never happened.

I don't see it that way. When you have brands and names like HyperX, G.Skill, Ripjaws, etc. Ballistix didn't sound out of place. I honestly don't care, Crucial isn't going away and I doubt Micron will stop making good RAM. I do recall reading some years back that Ballistix was supposed to go the way of HyperX and spin off into a larger gaming focused company much like Kingston did with HyperX. Guess that never happened.
Everybody knew Kingston, so everybody knew HyperX, still when they spun it off as it's own brand at first I thought quality might suffer, but that wasn't the case.
On the other hand Crucial was and for the most part still is a completely unknown brand here. Their products were always on the bottom of the price range with mediocre to bad timings, and a relatively high RMA ratio.
As for G.Skill and their Ripjaws, we were skeptical of those at first too, but they didn't just talk the talk, they walked the walk, and their products become synonymous with solid reliable performance and great value for money. Now they are my goto brand for RAM.
The only time Crucial ever comes into the picture is when I have to expand the ram in some laptop or office PC, where they'll run at stock jedec timings, or when budget for a build is of utmost importance outweighing even value for money.

I used to solely be a Kingston user myself just because the compatibility was always there. I just started using Crucial Ballistix a few years ago and never had any issues with that ram, and still use a set in my other PC. I have used G.Skill in the past and have a set that I used for a little while recently and never had any issues there either. Now I will mainly stick with Corsair or G.Skill. It's sad to see the end of the Ballistix line, but unfortunately that is how things are nowadays.

I just want naked ram modules with same specs as the ballistix; not a fan of the gaudy heatsinks and RGB. The naked ram modules the manufacturers sell now are always the bottom of the barrel timings.
They have good ram with pretty basic heat spreaders. G.Skill ripsaw come to mind. You can get pretty basic black heat spreader up to DDR4000.

Its just a fancy heat spreader. Its like saying....FabCO Pine Tree Pellets are no longer going to be made.

Wait a minute, COFabs Pine Tree Pellets are still the same pine tree pellets and work the same.

Memory made by Micron is still Micron memory regardless of the absolute over the top flamboyant heat spreaders.

Ooh look my heatspreaders have Fangs, or Truck Tires, or even a Machine Gun design.

https://betanews.com/2022/02/16/crucial-ballistix-dead-micron/

“Crucial Ballistix is officially dead. Yes, folks, Micron has decided to kill this popular line of PC memory for gamers and enthusiasts. …”

If you’ve been in this hobby since the days of old, this will hit home. My first set was a ddr2 set.
I see your dead brand, and raise you one that never existed.

z.jpg

and HyperX RAM. After buying Crucial Ballistix RAM for a Rocket Lake machine and HyperX RAM for a Comet Lake machine, I ended up buying Kingston Fury RAM for another Comet Lake machine I wanted to build for my mother.
I find it odd how years ago when you bought 1600MHz RAM for example, it was really 1600MHz RAM. Now you have to look at compatibility lists to find out what speed it will run natively. It took me maybe a couple of hours to determine the Fury RAM was the one I wanted to buy (2666 MHz that will run at 2666 MHz for a Comet Lake CPU).
Searching for (non-server/non-ECC) memory is a nightmare because modules are advertised according to factory-overclocked settings defined in their XMP. It's a headache if you need or want to know the native speed grade and SPD EEPROM parameters for compatibility or other reasons. Product pages rarely if ever provide this information, and the chips are usually hidden behind tasteless RGB-ridden heatsinks. :vomit: Choices are limited to the few brands of "value" RAM if one insists on having that information readily available.

Searching for (non-server/non-ECC) memory is a nightmare because modules are advertised according to factory-overclocked settings defined in their XMP. It's a headache if you need or want to know the native speed grade and SPD EEPROM parameters for compatibility or other reasons. Product pages rarely if ever provide this information, and the chips are usually hidden behind tasteless RGB-ridden heatsinks. :vomit: Choices are limited to the few brands of "value" RAM if one insists on having that information readily available.
A lot of them show SPD ratings in their specs.

1645565203985.png

I had those on my NF7-S with the LED lights, who knew that would lead to the whole RGB craze.
Yes I still have 4GB set that was on my FX60 system. The LEDs were nice, not obnoxious like today's RGB stuff. That RAM was rock solid, never missed a beat! It was expensive though!

Oh, how I miss the days of those DDR1 timings... 2-2-2-5, unparalleled to this day, and worthy of the [H] moniker.
I know the lower number of cycles sounds way faster than what we have now, but in absolute terms not much has changed. Considering the fastest JEDEC timings (so I don't have to look up what the fastest 2-2-2 DDR1 actually sold was), CAS 2.5 @ 400MHz is equivalent to 12.5ns, while DDR4 is CAS 20 @ 3200MHz which is... 12.5ns.

I know the lower number of cycles sounds way faster than what we have now, but in absolute terms not much has changed. Considering the fastest JEDEC timings (so I don't have to look up what the fastest 2-2-2 DDR1 actually sold was), CAS 2.5 @ 400MHz is equivalent to 12.5ns, while DDR4 is CAS 20 @ 3200MHz which is... 12.5ns.
I was going to point this out but you did already.

This is true.
Also, pretty sure the RAM with one of the tightest timings I remember from back then was DDR1 OCZ Platinum with 2-2-2-5-1T circa 2005.

Back