CRT 'shimmering' question

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
So, for a while, when my CRT gets knocked (Philips 202P4 for those that want to know), it will sometimes 'shimmer'. Lines (that distort the picture) going in from both sides, eventually meeting the middle (from the left and right, nearly as tall as the monitor is vertical) then disapearing. I haven't used any other CRT for a while, and tend to have a bad memory, so I can't remember if my old one did this... But, is this any sign of it going to die? Or is it perhaps the type of tube it's using?

Thanks,
Nuzz

Its not dead yet :) But I was wondering the same thing. My CRT is doing that now too. Not all the time but sometimes....

probably just the aperture grill moving a little.
the monitor im using now does it pretty bad if i have music turned up loud.
been doing it for 6+ months...

Yes. Aperture grill CRTs (which rock BTW) don't have a mask with holes in it. It is more like a string of high tension wires running top to bottom. That why you most likely will find 2 wires running horizontally across the screen. They are there to stabilize the vertical wires.

My trinitron at work seems pretty stable but I remember the ones at schoold being quite loose.

You could genererally see this if you bang on the side of a Aperture grill CRT. Those some are more stable than others. They might get looser as they get older I wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't take to banging on it for fun either.

Back