CRT,LCD,SED,or Plasma which is better?

Best type of display

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SED won't be mainstream for a long time

the rest all have thier own advantages
not comparing size, i still say CRT is the best

For the best IQ period CRT is the winner, until maybe SEDs but those are not out and they have native resolutions.

You asked, "Which is 'BEST' ". So, even though its not going to be widely availibe for a while, and will still cost way too much, it will be a much better display:
A partnership between Canon and Toshiba, SED is being touted as “the holy grail” of flat screen TVs, mixing all the best traits of what’s out there now. Images are sharp and clear, like LCD, while power consumption is low and viewing angle is wide. And the images on the screen are being compared to what you’d get from a CRT TV (which is still the best, though bulky and old-fashioned looking). The technology itself, which stands for surface-conduction electron-emitter display, consists of electrons fired from the back of the set colliding with a phosphor-coated screen to emit light, almost like CTVs. And instead of just three electron guns, it uses one for each pixel on the display (which comes to hundreds of thousands electron emitters). What makes it flat is the ability to place these emitters nearer to the front of the TV. Look for the first 55-inch SED TV to be on the market by spring (hopefully here in the US as well as in Japan), though whether the companies will see profits is anyone’s guess, especially since plasma TVs are finally coming down in price and LCDs are sure to follow substantially in the next year.
Link

CRT is my 2nd choice because it is so widely availible and much cheaper than most other types of displays, and it also has much better contrast ratio, response times, and brightness. Know i do realize that LCDs and plasmas are getting much better while steadily dropping in price too, so i do believe i will get one or both of those before SED comes within my reach, but untill then, i will doodle right along with my trusty old CRT for the time being.
And if you really want to know "how" CRT and SED work, then
HERE is another great link. But in the long run, i think SED will become just as widely used as LCDs are today, if not more so. So i think that answers all your questions boredguyatcomp, and if i am wrong, please do correct me, or add more, but please continue to cast your votes! ;)

For my hometheater purposes currently plasma would be best. But I voted SED since that will probably be better.

SED will be awesome in 2 years or so when its actually available and doesnt cost a ridiculous amount, I recently bought a Sony XBR960 CRT HDTV which uses a "Super Fine Pitch" tube (65% finer pitch than other crt hdtv's) and honestly I've never seen DVD's or Xbox 360 look any better, plus HD material from the built in ATSC/QAM tuner is stunning. The vibrant picture combined with the awesome black levels is something other display types struggle with , Plasma would be my 2nd choice especially if I wanted a larger screen.

If cost is no object, I would actually go for a rear projector (or laymens terms a projector that is like ones found in a movie theater, as opposed to a projector TV).
HD of course... But I probably wouldn't want to use it for everyday usage for computer work.... but you listed Plasma which DEFINATELY shouldn't be used for computer ish, so I think my listing is just as valid.

My second choice would be LCD. It would otherwise be SED if it was possible to audition it personally. It's hard to say it's better when technically anything we've seen thus far is essentially advertising.

SED eventually.

LCD @ the moment. I've had several expensive CRTs and I was never happy with the geometry and focus/convergence problems. Even on $1500 Sonys.

If you can make the room completely dark, I would agree with the front projector. However, what type should you get (LCD, DLP, or CRT)? It has been a while since I looked into it, but last I checked, the absolute best quality came from a triple 9 inch CRT front projector. Aside from costing close to 10K, they supposedly produce amazing quality and extremely detailed High Def images. However, anytime you are dealing with projection you are going to have problems with black levels.. even in the movie theater. But they are still much better than an LCD or Plasma black level.

here's my break down
SED looks wonderful, sounds good... but not out yet (so this is out)

Plasma, LCD or CRT, maybe DLP?

For me I hear this little annoying buzz from plasmas and it drives me nuts. Supposadly it is beacuase at alltidue they do that, I don't know. If I wanted something over 42-50 inches this is still where I'd go.

Less than 42-50 inches: LCD.

Personally if size and space and lighting of a room were not a concern at all: DLP. To me it looks like the best picture. Beautiful screen. But that's just me.

How do any of you guys know SED is better? Because of the pics on Engadget or the marketing hype? Until these things show up in a local B&M and you can see them it shouldn't be on the list.

You should add 3d holographic display on there too. I've see pics of it on Engadget and it looked way better than SED.

Any how could anyone pick LCD or plasma is anyones guess. LCD is better for 20" monitors but for Tv's bigger than 45" hell NO!

For now CRT's for image quality, true colors and price. In the future SED is where I'd personally be heading. I stare at LCD's all day at work and quite frankly don't care for them at all besides the size/weight and low power consumption and plasmas are no better really.

danman said:
How do any of you guys know SED is better? Because of the pics on Engadget or the marketing hype? Until these things show up in a local B&M and you can see them it shouldn't be on the list.

You should add 3d holographic display on there too. I've see pics of it on Engadget and it looked way better than SED.

So we shouldn't vote for SED because we haven't seen it, but you can compare a holographic display to SED, and it looks better :confused:

danman said:
Any how could anyone pick LCD or plasma is anyones guess. LCD is better for 20" monitors but for Tv's bigger than 45" hell NO!

uhh you just picked which one you liked better. Anyones guess? There is a difference

On normal TV, which is what I think most people use them for, the LCD at larger sizes will looked blurred and more pixelated (sp?). The plasma will not have to deal with that.

IMO? well

LCD for most home and business users
CRT for gamers and those in need of great image quality and performance
Plasma for people looking for nicely priced televisions that can leave you some space in your living room
SED for people....who....live...in the...future? - not really marketable yet, but will phase out all the rest

Back