CRT Displays are a dying breed [Will be totally gone within 3 years] Long live TFT

Stevo said:
I wont use a CRT ever again since getting my Hercules Prophetview 920 Pro. In fact, I'm getting the 23" sony with my next student loan payment

I only wish my eyes were slow enough that I wouldn't notice the motion blur. But since I'm sticking with my CRT, at least I can go from 800 x 600 to 2048 x 1536 and everywhere in between with ease, and run games at 100fps and more if I wish. But I don't blame people who no longer want to look at the average, run-of-the-mill $100 throwaway CRT. Spend the extra $$ whether you get LCD or CRT...It's worth it.

BillR said:
Apple was an example, but if you take the time to visit a small or large graphics production house, or a movie production studio you will see LCD, not CRT. I'm not saying you have to like it, it's just a fact.
If you visit a lot of the better ones, for instance Nat Geos photo lab you'll see LaCie CRTs and Barco reference CRTs... The LaCies were the secondary displays.

robert said:
After reading many articles and forums it seems that the humble CRT is in demise, and I give it max 3 years or less before it is totally replaced by the TFT.

What are your views on this?

HHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

wait....

hAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

CRT's aren't going anywhere. That is, as long as games and video exist.

I think we'll see them leave around the same time 4-wheeled vehicles with internal combustion engines are phased out.

BillR said:
visit a small or large graphics production house, or a movie production studio you will see LCD, not CRT.

I hope that television production continues to preview their work on CRTs... since 98+% of television watchers are looking at a CRT television at home. Or else they calibrate their LCDs to accurately match a CRT experience.

ZenOps said:
Moving from LCD to CRT - Its like trying to replace incandescent light bulbs with CCFL or LED light bulbs, its gonna be a long and hard transition. Everyone knows that flourescent, CCFL and LED light bulbs have advantages over the old light bulb, but everyone still is used to the old way.
Actually, LED backlighting is the next big thing in LCD displays. It's just around the corner and will greatly improve color reproduction among other things making LCDs ideal for graphics work. It also has the potential to greatly increase panel contrast if applied in a certain way...

cccc said:
Actually, LED backlighting is the next big thing in LCD displays. It's just around the corner and will greatly improve color reproduction among other things making LCDs ideal for graphics work. It also has the potential to greatly increase panel contrast if applied in a certain way...
It will improve the displays, the same pitfalls of TFT LCD technology will remain regardless of the backlight.

When LCD's surpass CRT's in every way, CRT's will the be doomed. I just got me a new 26" CRT a few months back. I could have spent the same money and got a 17" LCD. However, let's compare a 26" to a 17" LCD with their current problems. It wasn't much of a decision.

Brad4321 said:
When LCD's surpass CRT's in every way, CRT's will the be doomed. I just got me a new 26" CRT a few months back. I could have spent the same money and got a 17" LCD. However, let's compare a 26" to a 17" LCD with their current problems. It wasn't much of a decision.

This will NEVER happen. With technologies like super bright CRT's, more efficent CRT's, Plasma, and most importantly OLED displays, I look forward to LCD's being phased out in the next 5-15 years. Lets face it: CRT's will always be needed until OLED displays surpass them, and this isn't even certain. Sure, for the average user surfing the web LCD's are great. Especially if they are used to low end CRT's (low end CRT's are horrid, low end LCD's are much more pleasing) but on the high end of the spectrum CRT's aren't going anywhere. Sure, LCD's are getting faster, but for someone like me(I watch DVD's on here, episodes of TopGear every week, Fifth Gear on occasion too, hours upon hours of surfing on here daily, schoolwork, etc) who wants screen real estate without dropping 600 plus on a monitor an LCD just doesn't make sense. ESPECIALLY since they will run games worse. No sir, i'll take an FP912SB for 300 over a slower, much less bright and tiny 15 inch LCD that isn't even guaranteed to have all the pixels working. My prediction: LCD sales will continue to rise in the low/mid end PC's. CRT sales will level off at a lower level than before (obviously). OLED's will come to market, eventually replace LCD's, and maybe even CRT's eventually. If anyone thinks that the best LCD will surpass the best CRT any time before OLED's hit market, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya! (It might cost less than a decent sized LCD too!)

And you made the resonable decision. Why pay more for less space? And as for desk space, the money saved buying a CRT could pay for a mighty nice desk!

i hope crt's fade out sooner then later - 1) save me some desk space 2) Better for my eyes. :eek:

Spetsnaz Op said:
This will NEVER happen. With technologies like super bright CRT's, more efficent CRT's, Plasma, and most importantly OLED displays, I look forward to LCD's being phased out in the next 5-15 years. Lets face it: CRT's will always be needed until OLED displays surpass them, and this isn't even certain. Sure, for the average user surfing the web LCD's are great. Especially if they are used to low end CRT's (low end CRT's are horrid, low end LCD's are much more pleasing) but on the high end of the spectrum CRT's aren't going anywhere. Sure, LCD's are getting faster, but for someone like me(I watch DVD's on here, episodes of TopGear every week, Fifth Gear on occasion too, hours upon hours of surfing on here daily, schoolwork, etc) who wants screen real estate without dropping 600 plus on a monitor an LCD just doesn't make sense. ESPECIALLY since they will run games worse. No sir, i'll take an FP912SB for 300 over a slower, much less bright and tiny 15 inch LCD that isn't even guaranteed to have all the pixels working. My prediction: LCD sales will continue to rise in the low/mid end PC's. CRT sales will level off at a lower level than before (obviously). OLED's will come to market, eventually replace LCD's, and maybe even CRT's eventually. If anyone thinks that the best LCD will surpass the best CRT any time before OLED's hit market, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya! (It might cost less than a decent sized LCD too!)

And you made the resonable decision. Why pay more for less space? And as for desk space, the money saved buying a CRT could pay for a mighty nice desk!
I love you.

Spetsnaz Op said:

I look forward to the death of LCDs too... and yet I praise them at the same time. I still use my 19" CRT as my secondary display but ever since getting an LCD for my primary display I've gone from sometimes >2 migraines a week to 1-3 a month roughly (more when I'm stressed, like right now finishing up a term taking 5 classes, Taking/TAing 1 and TAing another and doing research ugh).

I can't even focus on the best CRTs for extended periods of time anymore, it's really frustrating.

I don't think standard CRT's will get much more energy efficient. The technology behind CRT's hasn't changed much in the last half century. The only place where you can save a little bit of power is in the control circuitry, and by using higher quality/efficiency capacitors. Pretty well all ~100 watts on a 21 incher is going to the brightness of the display as is now.

However, it could be possible to use a different lightsource to drive a CRT. There have been decent advances in Cold cathodes, so low wattage high voltage CCRT might be available someday.

CCFL is actually what drives many laptop backlit LCD's, its also what prevents it from being totally black, and looks somewhat washed out. Funny, how people tend to mention LCD's in laptops, but don't realize its the CCFL (cold cathode flourescent light) flickering like mad that actually lights the image.

As long as they are alive untill OLEDs are out in force im fine with it.

Personaly experiance with lcds has been anywhere from crap, to OK (and thats on what people call high end models)

I'll take a quality NEC crt over any current Lcd any day of the week.

emorphien said:
I look forward to the death of LCDs too... and yet I praise them at the same time. I still use my 19" CRT as my secondary display but ever since getting an LCD for my primary display I've gone from sometimes >2 migraines a week to 1-3 a month roughly (more when I'm stressed, like right now finishing up a term taking 5 classes, Taking/TAing 1 and TAing another and doing research ugh).

I can't even focus on the best CRTs for extended periods of time anymore, it's really frustrating.

Yeah, they are harder on the eyes than LCD's. Obviously in cases like yours the extra cost is well worth it. My mom gets migranes sometimes...they don't look very fun :( . I hope I don't have that gene :( .

Spetsnaz Op said:
:( . I hope I don't have that gene :( .
It's pretty prominent in my family, my sister and mother both get them. Different triggers though. My sister would get them from working at the drug store, apparently the fluorescent lights they used were what got her going. Definitely a genetic thing. D'oh!

It's not all bad, now I'm trying to figure out how to get more money to buy another one of my NEC panels so I can get rid of my CRT which seems to be getting ready to die now.

emorphien said:
It will improve the displays, the same pitfalls of TFT LCD technology will remain regardless of the backlight.
Not really...

One of the pitfalls being inferior color reproduction will become LCDs strong point, superior color reproduction using LED backlights. If LED backlighting is applied in a certain way, then yet one more pitfall, inferior contrast, will become LCDs strong point, giving LCDs unsurpassed contrast levels. Superior color reproduction is achieved automatically using LED backlights, though improving the contrast using LED backlights is a more complicated issue. Not to mention also that Samsung promises even thinner LCD displays using LED backlights compared to using standard CCFL backlights. While response times are still an issue, it's constantly improving, TN panels have reached 8ms, S-IPS panels 12ms, 16ms PVA panels are soon to be released. Both Samsung and Philips have meanwhile released new and improved versions of their proprietary panels (S-PVA and TW-IPS) with improved specs... There is a LOT of potential left in LCD technology, the only challenge is keeping making them price competitive. Apart from CRT displays the only other display technology seemingly able to compete in the sub 30" range are OLED displays, but they are still vaporware and they have their own technical issues and limitations. FED/SED displays are as far as I know set to compete in the plasma turf (above 30") and will spell more trouble for plasma displays than for LCD displays...

One of the fundamental shortcomings of LCD technology is that it is transmissive. You'll still have off axis woes. Whats funny is how that technology is striving to be like the OLED. They could use multicolored leds on an active matrix to form an image. That is where displays need to go, and that's where OLED is.

The biggest problem for the technology if you read up on it is when will it become available? The production of OLEDs on a larger scale is quickening and some of the companys plan to start introducing products next year. If and when that happens it will likely undercut this technology severely.

Leds will be the future of displays, but I doubt it will be as that company envisions.

First of all let me say that the CRTs would not be dead, but would be living for over 50 years or more. However they will be niche products. Ex: By the year 2020 a CRT would cost around 1000$ (including the inflation effect) on the other hand a similar sized plastic display (such as an OLED, organic light emitting diode) would cost around 50$.

The trend is paper like displays. This would most probably be achived by polymer based displays. Additionally their picture quality is comparable to that of CRTs.

Thin displays will replace our old CRTs in our living rooms most probably before 2010. HDTV technology will also benefit from that. On the other hand the replication of CRT displays of desktop computers is another story. First of all in my opinion the desktop computers (the big tower cased ones with very flexible in upgrading option) would be quite expensive to buy compared to a laptop pc or thin desktop computers, by the year 2010. CRT would be beneficial for hardcore pc users, who would most probably buy those expensive desktop mechines. However the remaining majority would prefer thin displays eventhough image quality is not good.

At the moment and untill 2006, in my opinion CRT would still outnumber thin displays in terms of price and number solved. However by then only hardcore PC users plus special purpose PC users (for work) would buy CRTs which is quite a small market. This would increase the price of CRTs, compared to sharply decreasing prices of thin displays they would be quite expensive to buy.

At the moment I prefer mobile computing, therefore I have to use thin displays.
I hope to replace my laptop with a new one with OLED display built in by the year 2006.

Note: Something regarding the maturities of technologies.

CRT may be 100 years old, but new thin display technologies may be less than a decade old. This does not mean that the new technologies will allways fall behind CRT. The technological advancement calculation is made in terms of people * hours of work time spend on that technology. For allmost a decade more people are working on the development of thin displays than the CRTs. And now, there are more scientists who can work on these things, compared to the number of scientists available several decades ago. Additionally now, we benefit more from the computers compared to 1970s and 80s. According to these figures, a couple of decades later we would be using thin displays which would outpace the CRTs of that time.

thx.

LCD's have more potential then CRT's, the bad things about LCD's are that they are slow and have poor picture quality. those things can be fixed and more then likely will be fixed. and plus, manufacturers will try to phase out CRT's because they can make more money on LCD's.

life is buisness.....

I look foreward to the demise of the CRT. I have two CRTs in my house. One is a KDS X-Flat monitor and it sucks. The other is an NEC FE991SB--I used to think it rocked--I even took time to calibrate it. It was so bright and I could run it at different resolutions and refresh rates. Then I got my 19" Sceptre LCD and the NEC looks dark and dull (this is with contrast maxed out and brightness set accordingly) so I decided it'd be my secondary monitor. That lasted maybe a day. It is so bad that I refuse to look at it so I never even turn the energy hog on.

Cliffs: No prophesy on crt's, but I have a much better computing experience on my nice 19" lcd. And here's to OLEDs. I'm sure I'll jump in on that market after they mature.

B

Until they make LCDs that can display 100 frames per second without any trace of the previous frame into the next, and 2048 x 1536 resolution, I will not herald the demise of the CRT.

Synful Serenity said:
Until they make LCDs that can display 100 frames per second without any trace of the previous frame into the next, and 2048 x 1536 resolution, I will not herald the demise of the CRT.

I'll herald the demise of darned near anything if I had a video card that could do 100fps @ 2048x1536.

B

PS I understand your point, but I really had no choice in making that quick post.

I'm going to ride out my CRT till it dies. I was top dog till the GDM F520 :(

robert said:
Another good thing for the average TFT user is that it produces only slight Radiation from it's back lights...where as the CRT produces a much more significant amount of Radiation and in my opinion and that of a vast number people doing research into the effects of using a CRT. I would also say people who use the CRT day to day year in year out are at risk of getting certain types of cancers. Just my opinion of course and that of others.
The same can be said with any electrical appliance. I remember there was a huge article in my biology building about brain cancer and cellular phones. It wasn't true. We have people in their 50's who have been behind computer monitors with no cancer.

Mr Mean said:
The same can be said with any electrical appliance. I remember there was a huge article in my biology building about brain cancer and cellular phones. It wasn't true. We have people in their 50's who have been behind computer monitors with no cancer.
It doesn't mean it's not true, but it doesn't mean its any bigger of a problem than most other things.

Back