Crowdfunding to Save the World: Asteroid Defense Body Seeks $200k

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by MajorDomo, May 16, 2015.

1. MajorDomo

MajorDomo [H]ard as it Gets

If you really knew what was out there in space hurtling towards Earth, you would probably have trouble ever sleeping again. A Danish organization called Emergency Asteroid Defense Project, has humanity's interest at heart and is attempting to raise $200K on Indiegogo for research on how to deflect or destroy asteroids at a safe distance from Earth.

2. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

$200k is a drop in the bucket of what such research will cost.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

This isn't about them saying "we need money, and here's your fancy asteroid blocker" this is them "give us money so we can do all the research we want because we are unable to get grants into this, because lets be honest when people think anything related to space Danish does not come to mind pretty much ever"

This alone makes me question them, first that wasn't an asteroid, it was a meteor, sure it was big, but something like that is harmless. second the energy that was released was mostly absorbed by the air, and in any instance like this that's where the explosions are going to happen, relatively high altitude, they are never going to hit the ground and explode like that.

Hypervelocity vehicle that can intercept something in a few days warning? HA! I think not. Anything that can be deflected that short out is hardly going to be a problem. And anything that would be a problem sure as fuck can't be deflected with only a few days warning.

4. rageFIST

rageFIST [H]Lite

sorry my money is tied up in pretty pixels