Crowdfunding Raises $2.7B Worldwide Last Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember when everyone thought crowdfunding was a joke? Who is laughing now?

Crowdfunding platforms raised $2.7 billion (an 81% increase) and successfully funded more than 1 million campaigns in 2012. Massolution forecasts an increase in global crowdfunding volumes in 2013, to $5.1 billion.

I find it funny that only one publisher is really taking notice concerning the video game segment.

This is good news indeed. Let's get rid of the publishers, they are the cancer of creativity.

This is good news indeed. Let's get rid of the publishers, they are the cancer of creativity.

Exactly.

Same with recording studios with them messing up artist's creative and financial abilities.

These studios/publishers had a time and place... it definitely isn't now.

Exactly.

Same with recording studios with them messing up artist's creative and financial abilities.

These studios/publishers had a time and place... it definitely isn't now.

Well, I think the publishers still have a place but they need to change their business model substantially ... crowd funding seems to work for projects that can operate under 5 million dollars ... if you need more than that then the publisher and studio system is still the only game in town ... and not every project can live in the under 5 million limit ;)

I think the bigger opportunity is for cash heavy hardware companies (Apple, Intel, etc) to use this as an opportunity to move into the publishing business (if the publishers don't get their acts together) since they could afford to fund the 10-25 million level projects that are more difficult for crowd funding :cool:

I have supported three crowd funded games so far and I hope to support more in the second half of the year (when my budget improves a little) ... I still think we need both models and I will likely support both models (some crowd funding preorders and some publisher preorders and purchases) :)

Well, I think the publishers still have a place but they need to change their business model substantially ... crowd funding seems to work for projects that can operate under 5 million dollars ... if you need more than that then the publisher and studio system is still the only game in town ... and not every project can live in the under 5 million limit ;)

I guess I was being a bit drastic and you are right. I'm not saying that crowdfunding and going at it solo is the only way to go about things, but a definite re-think on it all is needed. What you say about Intel etc getting involved sounds like a good idea.

Crowdfunding platforms raised $2.7 billion (an 81% increase) and successfully funded more than 1 million campaigns in 2012.

So less than $2700 on average? Or are they counting the money "donated" by ones that failed (and then returned)

Back