Crowdfunded controller grips, carbon fiber rifle stock, and magnetic mounts

IRSmurf

2[H]4U
I caved and backed a crowdfunded VR accessory, Mamut Touch Grips, after watching a review of the prototypes. Attaching them elongates the Oculus Touch controllers, which will hopefully make them fit my hands a even better. But I'm more excited about their rifle stock. The rifle stock parts are also available for order on their website, when they're in-stock. This bundle appears to be discounted for pre-orders / backers. The stock works for Rift and Vive controllers, which have distinct magnetic mounts. (The above crowdfunding campaign is for the Oculus bundle.) Estimated delivery is next month.

rift-stock.png

The rifle stock part seems like it could easily be done with plastic pipes. But attaching the controllers to the pipes is the hard part. The whole kit is one of the best realized VR accessories I've seen since TPCast.

No pics of the actual rifle stock product yet it’s expected to ship this month? It’s going to be garbage quality.

So you backed it now we have to buy this?

Yeah, until the goal is met. (Just checked, they hit their goal last night.) :) But really, I wanted to share the best gaming stock I've seen since PlayStation Aim:
5246910231_461b2bf347_o.jpg

... which was replaced with... this...

61H25Eqzv-L._SL1500_.jpg

Most stocks I've seen attach to the bottom of the controllers, which I find awkward.

No pics of the actual rifle stock product yet it’s expected to ship this month? It’s going to be garbage quality.

I have a feeling they're depending on crowdfunding money to get the molds made. In the video review of the grips, the reviewer was provided with 3d printed prototypes. The ones that ship to backers will be molded. Carbon fiber tubes are off the shelf. Everything else is gamble. The molded parts in the stock aren't highly novel. The parts I'm concerned with are the magnetic clasp and the piece that attaches to the controller. Given the reception of their "Mamut Skull" for Vive controllers, which was also crowdfunded, I'd say they know what they're doing.

EDIT: They linked a demo of the stock. I like how the controller easily detaches for reloads. I might make a spacer to reduce the magnetic force of the attachment for the front controller to make it easier to use a pump action shotgun.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wish I knew how to CAD because the idea I have for a gun stock blows all these away...this is a horrible over complicated design. Anyone feel like helping out?

Crowdfunding campaign now closed.

Molds:
mamut-molds.jpg

First kits ready to ship:
mamut-kit.jpg

First real photo of complete stock I've seen:
mamut-stock.jpg

They threw in the sling and sling attachment for no additional charge. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this.

Is this for a specific game or will games be able to adapt pretty easy? I realize the physical shape of the contraption doesn't matter because your eyes will visualize whats in the HMD and make your physical position "feel" right. So any gun that has a vertical handle on the barrel should feel right.

I backed this, I just need the basic grips so that I don't need to worry about my controllers flying away in beat saber ;)

Is this for a specific game or will games be able to adapt pretty easy? I realize the physical shape of the contraption doesn't matter because your eyes will visualize whats in the HMD and make your physical position "feel" right. So any gun that has a vertical handle on the barrel should feel right.

I imagine the stock is mostly for people who play Onward and similar games..

Back