Crossover cable

AR

2[H]4U
Is there any way to tell if I just picked up a Crossover or a normal CAT6 from Fry's? Label said crossover, but it's not acting like it -- can't tell if it's user error (me), or bogus cable (typical Fry's).

EIA-568-B.2-1

Is all that's written on it.

look at the colors of the cables inside the pastic conectors, are they crossed over?

Originally posted by LeftSide
look at the colors of the cables inside the pastic conectors, are they crossed over?

solid color connector.

strange.

When you have the cable plugged into both computers, does it still have the "network cable unplugged" icon? If so, it's either non-crossover, or broken.

Yeah, went back - Fry's mislabeled it. For future reference, BRIGHT ORANGE CAT6 usually means cross-over -- for them at least.

Well were just having all sorts of threads on the front page tonight about people getting screwed at Frys lol. I dont have one in my area but i wouldn't shop there even if i did.

I’ve never seen a cat6 crossover before. Not that one doesn’t exist, but keep in mind that all gigabit is auto-crossover, so straight through and crossover cables would act exactly the same when using gigabit equipment (which would run fine on cat5, but I certainly hope you’re not buying cat6 for 100mbit, Heh).

Back