Crosshair V - Will not post. DRAM led stays red.

RedShifty

n00b
I've had my setup for about 1 1/2 years now. It worked fine last night. I came home and installed my new Soundblaster Z card. Turned the power on and everything fired up as usual but my displays failed to light up.

FX8120
ASUS Crosshair V
16 gigs samsung low profile
5870 1 gig

I'm on water cooling and there isn't a lot of room but I moved and reseated my graphics card as best as I could. Multiple times now.

Unplugged all Sata drives. Removed all ram, placing one stick in a single slot. Tried all 4 slots and multiple different sticks of ram (also have ripjaws laying around). Reseated power connectors and even tried a spare graphics card.

I can pull all the ram out and still get no audible beep just the led. If I leave the graphics card power out I get one long loud beep so I know the speaker works. All other leds are lit green.

I reset the bios multiple times. I literally had zero issues with this build until just now. Any other ideas or does it seem like my mobo died on me?

I appreciate any help.

did you pull the soundcard and try it like that? Creative has a long list of issues over the years and mostly the will not work with X motherboard topping that list.

I did remove the card right away. First thing I figured was it was the sound card. There is a little "go" botton on the top right to bypass the error. It just causes the boot device led to flash.

Dam, hate when these threads go dead. Will ask if you figured out the problem? Is your mobo dead?

Did you disconnect the power to the PC before swapping out the cards, memory, etc.? Have you tried a different power supply?

Did you disconnect the power to the PC before swapping out the cards, memory, etc.? Have you tried a different power supply?

That was my first thought too. had a mobo that I fried putting in a new card with the power on. Yah I forgot to turn off the PS :eek: live and learn I guess :p

that's quite odd hellbent, static can kill things and bad grounding but I myself have never pulled power so it is completely unpowered I usually leave it plugged into main and haven't had an issue, but running, well I have never done that.

As for LED staying lit, that is more then likely bad board, friend had this happen on new board would post fine until he tried dual channel, then no go, tried different sets of ram etc, no go, different channels all good till A2 or B2 were loaded then it would fail post and led stay lit, rma on board, new board same model, fired up no issues.

Back