Crosshair V Problems / Bugs / Other Things / *READ BEFORE YOU BUY*

My last motherboard ran it stable @ 1600mhz. I'll just continue to run it at 1333mhz. My experience is so that others will take caution if they use the same memory. I'll keep testing as new bios gets released.

Raja,

Anything you can recommend? I've played around with a few but nothing successful.
G.Skill says they'll support the modules up to 1.65v on their website.
If anyone wants to take a guess at the drive strengths I'll be more than willing to plug them in and give them a shot. Anymore beta BIOSes released?

Raja,

Anything you can recommend? I've played around with a few but nothing successful.
G.Skill says they'll support the modules up to 1.65v on their website.
If anyone wants to take a guess at the drive strengths I'll be more than willing to plug them in and give them a shot. Anymore beta BIOSes released?

No way to guess I'm afraid - I don't have the modules here.

You need to go through them slowly (there are a lot of permutations). The "busiest" lines are the DQ and DQS so you can start with one of those (for both channels) and work your way through the list methodically - making notes along the way. I would set 2T Command Rate before even starting (if you have not done so already) on the Drive Strength settings.

-Raja

Raja,

Can we get some release notes on the official 0506 bios?
I believe that "Updates system stability" is a bit too vague. Especially for the price we all paid for this motherboard.

My friend got this board last friday. Installed everything.. everything worked beautifully (8 gig ram here not 16). So he called me 3 hours ago, the computer frooze during a game, he reset it and then all the drives (SSD, HDD, BLURAY ROM) are Uber Slow, we are talking about 20-30 minutes windows boot and several minutes game boot (from HDD)

Do you think the Sata Controller is borked? because it worked fine for 3 days.. now it's unusable..

I had my GSkill 1600 ripjaws running stable at 1600... I had to change 2 of the drive strengths, let me check and see which they were and I will post back...

I know one had to go to .75x and the other to 1x....

I had my GSkill 1600 ripjaws running stable at 1600... I had to change 2 of the drive strengths, let me check and see which they were and I will post back...

I know one had to go to .75x and the other to 1x....

Could be DQ and DQS as that sounds familiar for those two.

-Raja

Which would be .75x and which would be 1x?

I will await your answer before I test. I would like to put an end to this mystery :)
Waiting on Dr. Malenko.

Which would be .75x and which would be 1x?

I will await your answer before I test. I would like to put an end to this mystery :)
Waiting on Dr. Malenko.

Depends if his modules ICs and PCB are/is exactly the same as yours really.

-Raja

My last motherboard ran it stable @ 1600mhz. I'll just continue to run it at 1333mhz. My experience is so that others will take caution if they use the same memory. I'll keep testing as new bios gets released.

Please PM me the GSkill Part Numbers on each DIMM. We just received an allotment of 16GB DIMM kits from GSkill, Corsair and Kingston for QVL testing.

Gary,

As soon as I get home I will post the numbers here and PM you as well. Thanks for looking into this.
@ Raja, agreed, but there might be a slight chance his match mine.

Alright here we go.....

It is not a 16gb kit, it was 2 8bg kits, which I believe is one reason I can not get all 4 DIMMS to run at the same time, regardless of settings.. everything listed below is done with 2 DIMMS installed in the red slots.

( I have ordered the 16gb kit that is the same specs as what I have now, well see when it gets here)

I am running BIOS 0506, The latest from ASUS's website.

They are GSkill ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
rated timings are 9-9-924 @ 1.5v

Timings according to my BIOS as of right now, ( I have since stepped down to DDR-1333 and overclocked my CPU 3.7ghz, the RAM is currently runing stable at 225mhz (FSB? I know thats what it used to be called, lol) which is DDR-1499

Timings, top to bottom as if you were looking at the screen in your BIOS (UEFI)

**** denotes manually setting the value

9 ****
9 ****
9 ****
160ns
3.9ms ****
2T ****

(the 9-9-9 was manually set due to it wanting to set 8-8-8 on its own with the DDR 1333 setting)

DRIVE STRENGTHS

**** - again, maunally setting the value

1 ****
.75 ****
60ohms 20%

My CPU voltage is 1.337500v (stock cooling)
CPU/NB voltage 1.30000v
My DRAM voltage is 1.60625

When I was at 1600 All the settings were the same except the CPU/PEG freq (it was stock at 200) These settings ran stable for 2200% in HCI memtest (6 instances of the test all testing 1024mb each, leaving windows the rest to run in)

Also, my curent (overclocked) settings ran HCI memtest for 3100% coverage with no errors and no reboots..

I have noticed that the UEFI just doesnt like you spending a whole of time in it.. Even though the system is stable it will reboot if you hangout in the UEFI too long, not sure what is up with this...

Feel free to ask any questions...

i just ordered a 'asus crosshair V' & 16GB (4x4) of 'G.Skill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL'
hopefully i don't have an issues running the 16GB with all 4 DIMMs full.
in any case i'll be posting my experience when i get it.

I have tried Malenko's settings and same result. However, I am testing 1333 with 8-8-8-24 @ 1.55v right now for tighter memory settings. I guess at this point if the test succeeds I'll take the lower timings vs the mhz. I am sure now that ASUS got the kits they will eventually give us the fix for it.

I am wondering if there is a bug in the Memtestx86+ program at 20% (which is test 5) because that's where it ALWAYS crashes on 1600mhz.

AMDWIZARD, try THIS

I purchased the bootable version, didnt care for it much, the free one you can use in windows does the trick, (the bootable one only shows 4mb of RAM, I emailed and got a response, tried what he said but it still only showed 4mb, oh well)

Open the same number of instances of the program as you have cores, split your RAM up evenly in them, (leaving enough for windows to run so it doesnt spend all the time accessing the HDD) and let it run, it is pretty jam up...

Glad to know my settings worked for you, this thing is fast once you get up and going...

I got to find a good air cooler that doesnt cover the RAM so I can push on up to 4ghz.. What are you using?

I have tried Malenko's settings and same result. However, I am testing 1333 with 8-8-8-24 @ 1.55v right now for tighter memory settings. I guess at this point if the test succeeds I'll take the lower timings vs the mhz. I am sure now that ASUS got the kits they will eventually give us the fix for it.

I have the Ripjaws here. Just testing now. Will post up the settings over in the ROG guide once i get them stable.

-Raja

update from ealier post;
recently bought a crosshair V and dropped in 16GB (1600) of g.skill's 'F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL', CL9-9-9-24 1.5v RAM

booted fine (default settings) at 1600 and ran some quick tests (prime95) seemed ok.
ran into some stability issues when overclocking & unlocking the 555. possibly unrelated due to dud 555. won't know for sure until i run each stick individually thru memtest86+. updated bios to 0506.
will post later on results.

16GB GSkill @ DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1T F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (TWO 8GB KITS)

1.50VDIMM, 1.175V CPU~NB

primeripjaws.jpg

Only thing I had to set manually other than the primary DRAM timings and 1T Command Rate:

DRAM READ to READ Delay: Sets the delay between two consecutive read commands. The BIOS does not stipulate if this is a different rank or different DIMM timing. A setting of 4 clocks works with most configurations, but may need relaxing to 5~7 clocks if 16GB memory configurations are used or if 8GB configurations are used at speeds in excess of DDR3-2000.

I had already stipulated this in the guide.

Default with these DIMMs is 3 clocks, if you leave 3 clocks Prime will fail in the first loop. Set 4 clocks and it will run. Prime is still running so should not need much more tuning from here.

Budget DIMMs need the 4 clock spacing, while most other DIMMs can work at DDR3-1600 with 3 clocks.

-Raja

Hi Raja,

Has their been any response from Asus HQ about the ongoing problems with the drivers for the Intel 82583V network controller? It's pretty poor that the same issue is present on the Crosshair V months after the same problem with the Crosshair IV Extreme first came to light. This is being reported more and more, so it would be good to hear if anything is being done about it.

Hi Raja,

Has their been any response from Asus HQ about the ongoing problems with the drivers for the Intel 82583V network controller? It's pretty poor that the same issue is present on the Crosshair V months after the same problem with the Crosshair IV Extreme first came to light. This is being reported more and more, so it would be good to hear if anything is being done about it.

Nothing this end yet. I am running the Intel drivers on the ASUS site for the CVF and have not had a single BSOD while gaming online (but that's just SSFIV AE). So it's going to come down to replication first and foremost.

Is your system completely stable - can you pass Prime95 for 3~4 hours (have to ask)?

-Raja

Hi Raja,

Same thing as Raja, i have my PC folding, gaming, downloading, uploading, and everything is all stable, with a healthy OC....may want to check something else.....also make sure you have the drivers from ASUS's site, NOT intel's....

Hi Raja,

I've tried both the current Intel 16.3 release (11.7.32.0 driver, dated 2010/12/01), and the Asus provided driver 15.6 (11.7.32.0 driver, dated 2010/08/05). Surfing, gaming and remote desktop seem fine, but any stress on the contoller and within a minute I get a BSOD, with the message DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL pointing to the file e1q62x64.sys.

This is the same problem which was 'fixed' for the Crosshair IV Extreme when Asus posted a beta driver (11.7.32.1003, dated 2010/10/25). I've tried this same beta driver and it fixes the BSOD problem, but as I've have mentioned previously, it doesn't quite perform as well. File copies are fine, but when I try encoding uncompressed 1080i video over the network it doesn't perform as well as it should (compared to Intel CT and ET cards using the 16.3 drivers).

Otherwise my system is completely stable, as were the systems I've previously 'fixed' for people who were using the CIV-E.

Hi Raja,

I've tried both the current Intel 16.3 release (11.7.32.0 driver, dated 2010/12/01), and the Asus provided driver 15.6 (11.7.32.0 driver, dated 2010/08/05). Surfing, gaming and remote desktop seem fine, but any stress on the contoller and within a minute I get a BSOD, with the message DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL pointing to the file e1q62x64.sys.

This is the same problem which was 'fixed' for the Crosshair IV Extreme when Asus posted a beta driver (11.7.32.1003, dated 2010/10/25). I've tried this same beta driver and it fixes the BSOD problem, but as I've have mentioned previously, it doesn't quite perform as well. File copies are fine, but when I try encoding uncompressed 1080i video over the network it doesn't perform as well as it should (compared to Intel CT and ET cards using the 16.3 drivers).

Otherwise my system is completely stable, as were the systems I've previously 'fixed' for people who were using the CIV-E.

I wonder why some of us don't have the problem then.

-Raja

I'm really not sure, although its certainly not an isolated incident as more reports of the problem are popping up on forums.

You guys that have it working ok, have you tried (if you can) copying something over the network, which will max out the NIC (110MB/s), then if that works, try it again whilst doing other things over the network at the same time, such as playing a youtube clip or using remote desktop, etc.

I can download, watch HD youtube, RDP, without issue, its when the network is properly stressed (90%+ network utilisation) that I get the BSOD, without fail.

Alright. So here is the latest. I ordered a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 last week which is their top flagship board which is very similar to the Crosshair V in its layout. If you ask me these are both great boards. Obviously the RAM problem was eating at me so I did what I had to do.

The results are the Gigabyte board experienced no errors @ 1600mhz with all the stock settings - 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v

I'm not doing this to tick anyone off, I just had to know for sure if my sticks were good and share my experience. So the situation here is that it *APPEARS* the Asus board has a slight incompatibility issue with my memory. To be absolutely sure, I copied the settings from the Gigabyte board on the Asus and this time Memtestx86+ 4.20 gave errors at 20% but did not lockup like in the PAST! So I am going to try to stress test since I've been able to make progress in this area.

Both these boards have pluses and minuses. Asus has the graphical UEFI bios which is a plus and 4 usb 3.0 ports. You can't beat that. Judging from EAC - he experiences the same problem I had with the Intel nic so the Gigabyte wins in that NIC area for having a Realtek NIC that works. I'm not here to do a review - you have review sites for that.

In the end, I am going to be keeping both boards and both pcs. Hopefully Asus gets to the bottom of the whole Intel NIC debacle, it still blows my mind with all the negative feedback with the Crosshair IV's Intel NIC they chose to keep it for the Crosshair V. *shrugs shoulders*

Prime95 failed @ 1600mhz. Reverting back to 1333. By the way EAC what is your system specs? Maybe we can get down to the Intel NIC problem if we have similar hardware...

Prime95 failed @ 1600mhz. Reverting back to 1333. By the way EAC what is your system specs? Maybe we can get down to the Intel NIC problem if we have similar hardware...

Save screenshots of your BIOS settings at DDR3-1600 (you can save them to a USB stick) and send me them or upload them please.

-Raja

Raja,

From G.Skill Tech support. I found this while prowling newegg reviews on memory.

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Customer

To set up DDR3-1600+ on AMD systems, there is a certain way to configure BIOS. If you simply change DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600, that may not be fully stable. You also need to make sure NB Frequency is 3X (three times) DRAM Bus Frequency. So if your memory is at DDR3-1600 (800MHz), NB Frequency should be at least 2400MHz (800MHz x 3). Depending on your specific CPU, once you go beyond DDR3-1600+, raising the DRAM Voltage and CPU-NB Voltage may be required. So these are just some tips on stabilizing your system if you have issues. If you have any further questions or problems, please feel free to contact us directly for assistance.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Quality and customer service are our top priorities.

Tech Support Email: [email protected]
RMA Dept Email: [email protected]
G.Skill Forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum/

Raja,

From G.Skill Tech support. I found this while prowling newegg reviews on memory.

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Customer

To set up DDR3-1600+ on AMD systems, there is a certain way to configure BIOS. If you simply change DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600, that may not be fully stable. You also need to make sure NB Frequency is 3X (three times) DRAM Bus Frequency. So if your memory is at DDR3-1600 (800MHz), NB Frequency should be at least 2400MHz (800MHz x 3). Depending on your specific CPU, once you go beyond DDR3-1600+, raising the DRAM Voltage and CPU-NB Voltage may be required. So these are just some tips on stabilizing your system if you have issues. If you have any further questions or problems, please feel free to contact us directly for assistance.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Quality and customer service are our top priorities.

Tech Support Email: [email protected]
RMA Dept Email: [email protected]
G.Skill Forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum/

Higher memory controller frequencies are harder to get stable than lower in my experience.

Have you got around to saving those UEFI screenshots yet?

-Raja

16GB GSkill @ DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1T F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (TWO 8GB KITS)

1.50VDIMM, 1.20V CPU~NB for over 4 hours of Prime95.

16gbprime4hrs.jpg

No issues with stock NB core frequency here. Only change was the one I documented above: read to read delay at 4 clocks.

So, fire me those UEFI screenshots and lets take a look at how you've set things up please. :)

-Raja

Just for note, my set is the F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL I'm not sure what the difference is between the 16GBRL (what I have) and the 8GBXL (what you have)...

I'll get those screenshots to you.

Back