Crosshair V @ NewEgg

Got mine coming on monday, did not get from egg but at least I paid the same :)

Now just waiting for Bulldozer...

ahh, multi cpu socket compatibility...*cough* intel *Cough COUGH* i guess at least amd doesn't require you to buy a new mobo every processor release and sub release

damn 239 bucks.. screw it i'm buying it. was going to get the gigabyte board figuring the crosshair would be around 260-270.

wow i love how people waste money on MBs and everything without having any idea how the chip will perform

GJ

Available at Canada Computers as well. And a bit cheaper at $230 CDN.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_335&item_id=039205

Bout damn time that prices here are finally reflective of our dollar being stronger than the States'...

that's kinda what the US fed wants (lower dollar, increase exports etc. tho it does piss-off countries with large reserves of US dollars) tho i hear you. checked if any AM3+ boards had arrived in australia (not expecting to find anything). one of the cheapest retailers here has the Asus Crosshair IV formula for $285 and the extreme for $375 :mad:
hate to think what they'll charge for the 990 boards when they do arrive and our currency buys $1.06 US dollars...

wow i love how people waste money on MBs and everything without having any idea how the chip will perform

GJ

thats a fair point but with a amd board, you can at least get a couple of cpu upgrades in before intel scrubs the chipset. intel might as well solder the fucking cpu to the motherboard. my last 2 intel chipset for my primary PC only saw 1 cpu each (865PE/P4 2.4C, X38/Q6600). the last amd board i had (socket 939) saw 2 cpus (technically it was 3 but i gave 'athlon64 x2 3800' away), a athlon64 3000+ (single core 1.8GHz) & opteron 170 (dual core 2.0Ghz).

thats a fair point but with a amd board, you can at least get a couple of cpu upgrades in before intel scrubs the chipset. intel might as well solder the fucking cpu to the motherboard. my last 2 intel chipset for my primary PC only saw 1 cpu each (865PE/P4 2.4C, X38/Q6600). the last amd board i had (socket 939) saw 2 cpus (technically it was 3 but i gave 'athlon64 x2 3800' away), a athlon64 3000+ (single core 1.8GHz) & opteron 170 (dual core 2.0Ghz).

You realize Am3+ mobo is likely dead end as next generation bulldozer is supposed to be Apu with built in gpu ?

And at the same time current P67/Z68 mobos will support next gen Intel cpus (ivy bridge)

:D

Next generation Bulldozer isn't an APU. Komodo is a straight up CPU with 6-10 cores. Trinity is the BD+GPU APU to succeed Llano for FM1/FM2 socket (heard both).

GJ

or some of us are getting it to upgrade teh Mobo's we have for features like Sata 6gb/s, USB 3, and better OCing, a different chip is iceing, and the reason i waited for 990FX, rather than pick up a 890FX

You realize Am3+ mobo is likely dead end as next generation bulldozer is supposed to be Apu with built in gpu ?

And at the same time current P67/Z68 mobos will support next gen Intel cpus (ivy bridge)

:D

The "next gen" Intel cpus are a die shrink though so who cares? Everything performance oriented will be on 2011 and you'll be quickly end of lifed just like 1155 users were.

If you want more than 4 cores, they're going to get more money out of you. Intel does not allow people buying into their "mainstream" sockets to ever get anywhere near their enthusiast performance. It's like a class system. You can't get out of the middle without buying your way out with an entirely new platform.

Yeah, I was kinda shocked to learn that the enhanced Sandy Bridge models might need a new socket. Ridiculous.
Not that it's particularly news. Pretty sure it was known that there would be two socket types. Hell, before we had 1156 and 1366 and they're basically just getting replaced by 1155 and 2011.

Not that it's particularly news. Pretty sure it was known that there would be two socket types.

I guess I expected them to go a different route with the SB; particularly when realizing how much of an issue this has been.

But then, Ivy Bridge is supposed to be compatible with 1155.

I guess I expected them to go a different route with the SB; particularly when realizing how much of an issue this has been.

When Intel of all companies says that they think that their platforms last too long and are planning on changing sockets every 18 months I wouldn't count on it being 1155. It will probably be 1154 or 1157. A launch in march would be 15 months.

The constant complaining over platform changes is a little much. There is a great, and growing, used market for hardware on this site and others.

I sold my 890fx board/1055t for $300, and bought my p67/2500k combo for $358....not the end of the world

that's kinda what the US fed wants (lower dollar, increase exports etc. tho it does piss-off countries with large reserves of US dollars) tho i hear you. checked if any AM3+ boards had arrived in australia (not expecting to find anything). one of the cheapest retailers here has the Asus Crosshair IV formula for $285 and the extreme for $375 :mad:
hate to think what they'll charge for the 990 boards when they do arrive and our currency buys $1.06 US dollars...

This doesn't look like a bad price for the 990FX UD5 and UD7. Do you Aussies have any kind of VAT down there?

This doesn't look like a bad price for the 990FX UD5 and UD7. Do you Aussies have any kind of VAT down there?

oh forgot about pccase gear. actually the store is a 20min drive from me. yeah we do have a type of VAT or GST (goods & services tax + 10%) but that's already included in the price. the gigabyte board isn't bad tho i'd prefer the asus model mainly for the better NIC (intel) + it has more fan headers (think the crosshair has 8). anyway if the prices are indicative of 990 MBs, hopefully the asus board shouldn't be too expensive.

ivy bridge will be, but 1155 is limited to 6 core 12 thread processors, so 8 and up is 2011 only or if they come out with another main stream socket, maybe 1567 which is what they are currently using with the westmere-EP 10core/20 thread E7 xeons.

The constant complaining over platform changes is a little much. There is a great, and growing, used market for hardware on this site and others.

I sold my 890fx board/1055t for $300, and bought my p67/2500k combo for $358....not the end of the world

It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to know when you buy quality parts that you don't always have to replace them.

Its not like you guys will be popping Llano or bulldozer into your AM2+ boards either.

Its not like you guys will be popping Llano or bulldozer into your AM2+ boards either.

That's a completely new market if nothing else. 1 pin and no real new features and $200 dollar motherboards have to be replaced a year later. Midstream upgrades should cost you $500.

nope but its a different market for a different buyer that is less likely to upgrade every year as well so it works out fine. considering a Llano system is more then enough to run a home server or media center for 3-4 years before even needing to think about upgrading, the change from FM1 to FM2 sockets won't be a huge deal in the long run.

Back