Crosshair IV Formula works with FX 8320e

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I just installed my new FX 8320e into my Crosshair IV Formula. BIOS is the latest version 3029.

So far it is just running at stock speed. I will have to mess with overclocking later.

I will compile a list of "workarounds" for supposed throttling when overclocking since there isn't a way to disable APM in the BIOS on this old board. I will also post anything else that needs to be done when running this setup if I run into anything else.

It may take me a bit to figure everything out as this is my first real AMD rig since the S939 days.

I just installed my new FX 8320e into my Crosshair IV Formula. BIOS is the latest version 3029.

So far it is just running at stock speed. I will have to mess with overclocking later.

I will compile a list of "workarounds" for supposed throttling when overclocking since there isn't a way to disable APM in the BIOS on this old board. I will also post anything else that needs to be done when running this setup if I run into anything else.

It may take me a bit to figure everything out as this is my first real AMD rig since the S939 days.

Have fun, I know you will. :)

So I am just finishing putting this setup together.

I ended up removing the motherboard in order to redo the NB/SB/VRM heatsink assembly because the idle NB temp was 49C.

Of course the stock crap yellow gunk was all dried up. I was expecting that.

But I had to dremel one area on the NB heatsink in order to clear the one choke it was resting on that was making it not sit flat on the NB. And then after I did that and got it to clear the choke, it was resting on a capacitor.

After I saw it was doing that I went ahead and bent the heatsink up a bit so it would clear everything.

Now that it has new TIM on the NB and SB, new pads for the VRMs, and it resting properly, it brought the NB idle temp down to 43c. The SB temp is the same, but I am expecting that the heatpipe is carrying some heat over from the NB.

Anyway, I am seriously starting to doubt ASUS' QA process as this the the second board in the last 2 boards that I have had to repair. The last one being a brand new x79 Deluxe where the one fan header was non-functional because of a bad soldering job on the one lead.

Back