Crossflow fans only? Dynatron or Silverstone FX121

burnt

Weaksauce
So, I'm designing a case and I'm trying to keep it real small. My first thought was to only use 120mm fans so it was quiet. That worked to a point, but it was still too big and wasn't conforming to mATX standard, so I decided to look for other air cooling alternatives that might move similar amounts of air.

I came upon these "crossflow" fans and was wondering if 4 of these (2 intake/ 2 exhaust) could take the place of 2 120mm fans (1 intake/ 1exhaust).

These are the fans I'm referring to:

Dynatron or Silverstone

As far as I can tell they are the same fans...

Any advice or experience with these fans? Are the rated CFMs accurate? Every review I read says it seems like they push more air than rated. What do you guys think?

That's pretty intense, I had never seen those types of fans before. Sorry I cant be of help, but I look forward to learning more about them

I guess they could work. One of those pushes 14cfm while your average silent 120mm fan pushes between 30cfm to 50cfm. They will no doubt be louder but if that doesn't matter to you, it should work.

This is the same type of fan (though much smaller) that is used in many oven hood designs for kitchen ranges. In my experience, they are intensely loud and move very little air, but the situation may be very different on this scale.

Having owned the Silverstone version, I can say that a few of these are not really equal to what 120's would be able to push or pull. They dont move much air, in or out, regardless how many you have.

120's w/ a much larger surface area can pull and push air much more effectively.
Think of a hot summer day and the difference a good overhead ceiling fan can make, vs. a row of multiple mini table fans on the room in question.

They are nice in niche applications where you need compact cooling. I had mine in a SUG0 and it really helped pull some of that hot CPU exhaust out of the case. Placing your hand behind it, it was a weak stream of constant hot air pooling out. I cant see that same amount of CFM's doing a very good job as an intake, regardless how many you have. They are considerably louder than a quiet 120 as well...

Keep 92mm fans in mind in your design... they are pretty damn quiet and still move a fair amount of air. They easilly fit under the heighth of any card installed, allowing for some compactness in your design maybe. Good luck on an ambitious project!

Hmmmm...thanks dudes! you definitely gave me something to think about. I guess I'll just have to buy one and test it out!

Back