Crossfire R9 290 Wattage?

suiken_2mieu

2[H]4U
So I have a Corsair TX750 and want to run 2 x R9 290's with 3rd Party Air Coolers. Am I going to be okay? or do I need a new PSU?

I don't run my cpu (2500K) overclocked, but I may in the future once I see a bottle neck.

I also have 3 mechanical drives (2x3.5" and 1x2.5"). Rest of pc in sig.

Just from an educated guess, i would say 750watt would be pushing it too close. Even if it was enough, would you want your psu to run so close to max wattage? If there is a way to easily measure total system consumption, i could help you out, as i recently got a pair of 290's (i'm using a 1000watt psu).

May not be much of a help, but I ran 2x 290X OC'd with an i5 2500K @ 4.6 GHz on a Lepa G900 900W PSU. That Corsair PSU of yours is pretty solid. You will likely be pushing it...

Here's a good thread by SonDa5 about his power utilization with a single 290X...should help you make the call.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790364

It's still hard to tell, sigh, what would be the worse thing to happen if I just popped the two in there and 750 Watt wasn't enough?

What about 850w gold certificate psu for 2 r9 290? will that be enough? Sorry bout hijacking the thread.

the best thing both of you can do is to simply try it, but, keeping in mind, you may need to shell out extra money for a psu. if you do not have extra money for the psu, I would not get them then, because, you would not want to have two cards, and only be able to use one. remember, you can always sell your psu if you do have to buy a new one to cut costs a bit.

1k+. i got my 290 up to 1053mhz with +30% powertune and on furmark i was pulling 590watts with just the 1 card, my 2500k @ 4.5 and 1 hd and 1 sd... add another 220+ watts if you oc even a little for a second... you need lots more head room to be safe.. i gotta upgrade my trusty dusty antec 850 as well b4 i go crossfire...

Back