Crossfire Fury X for gaming with a 3rd card (nvidia) for home theater?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I've got a crossfire Fury X setup now which I really enjoy for gaming. I use the Crossfire combo with three 32" HP Omen displays in EyeFinity w/ freesync.

My fourth screen is my projector in my home theater and that's where my gripe comes in. I use JRiver media center and I always have bugs with it - madvr crashes with nearly every AMD driver update or JRiver application update. A couple friends with Nvidia cards say their JRver install never has issues.

Thus, I am considering buying an inexpensive lower end Nvidia card (maybe a GeForce 1050?) for use as a dedicated home theater display card connected solely to the projector so I can work around the AMD driver issues with JRiver and MadVR.

Is this feasible, or is it setting me up for just more alternate headaches?

My motherboard is an MSI Z87 GD65. It has three PCI-E slots. I have a I7-4770K CPU.

How would it work to utilize crossfire, vs. home theater with the windows P button which switches the active displays?
The three HP Omen monitors would be connected to the crossfired Fury X cards via display port, while the home theater Denon AVR would be connected to the Nvidia 1050 via HDMI.

Ah. I hadn't thought of that. I could try it.

I don't know if it would be fast enough for high quality red October but it'll be worth a shot.

Back