Crossfire + Eyefinity = Broken... Has anyone tried this though?

Darth_Penguin

Limp Gawd
It appears that many believe the crossfire + eyefinity issue has to do with the crossfire bridge not being able to support the bandwidth needed to output high resolutions. Earlier today I was on AMD's support forum and saw somebody post up something rather interesting.

Tepescovir Said:

1920x1200 in bc2 is 200+ fps, 3084x768 eyefinity is 20 fps and a slideshow. but both are app 2.5million pixels. So i;m not sure about been a bandwidth issue

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=262&threadid=132349&enterthread=y

Has anyone else tried running their crossfire eyefiinty setup at a lower resolution also been able to confirm that its still broken? If it is still broken even at these lower resolutions then is it the crossfire bridge? I am on the verge of going with a triple monitor setup but am waiting to see how Nividia's surround works first. If there weren't so many people having issues running crossfire'd eyefinity setups I would already have 2 5870's.

Here to hoping others can shed some light on this topic.

i really have no idea what you're talking about. crossfire/eyefinity has been working since the 10.2 drivers. i play bfbc2 and have no issues related to crossfire or eyefinity. the only issues i have are with the game itself. fucking console ports suck ass. i play 6048x1200 (bc on). im not getting 100fps but im sure not getting 20 either. i got very low fps in bfbc2 with a single 5870 @ 5760x1200. crossfire cured that. so im guessing that for whatever reason your crossfire isnt working right. but crossfire/eyefinity isnt broken.....

i really have no idea what you're talking about. crossfire/eyefinity has been working since the 10.2 drivers. i play bfbc2 and have no issues related to crossfire or eyefinity. the only issues i have are with the game itself. fucking console ports suck ass. i play 6048x1200 (bc on). im not getting 100fps but im sure not getting 20 either. i got very low fps in bfbc2 with a single 5870 @ 5760x1200. crossfire cured that. so im guessing that for whatever reason your crossfire isnt working right. but crossfire/eyefinity isnt broken.....

It is indeed broken for some people. The majority of the people having issues are running trifire and quadfire but there are certainly people with crossfire setups who are experiencing problems. AMD's support forum and WSG forum have the largest congregation of complaints.

trifire/quadfire has always been an issue. you asked about crossfire (meaning 2 cards). im sure there are people that have issues with crossfire, but that doesn't mean that its broken. you really should have head-lined this post trifire/quadfire eyefinity broken, not crossfire.

It's indeed Quadire + Eyefinity that still ain't working right, dunno how Trifire is doing with latest drivers.

I went from 2 5970 to 2 5870 Eyefinity 6 and games are very playable now where with 2 5970 they weren't. Lower fps with CrossFireX checked and stutter, CrossfireX unchecked fixes the stutter.

I was getting stutters with 10.3b drivers and 2 5870 Eyefinity 6 cards and using beta 8.73 drivers fixed the stutters though they didn't for 2 5970.

trifire/quadfire has always been an issue. you asked about crossfire (meaning 2 cards). im sure there are people that have issues with crossfire, but that doesn't mean that its broken. you really should have head-lined this post trifire/quadfire eyefinity broken, not crossfire.

whoa, easy tiger. I was using the term crossfire in a general sense, not explicitly for just 2 cards. Sorry if I offended you. :(

And I have no idea what you're talking about. I had 2 HD 5830's crossfired with 3, 24' ASUS monitors in eyefinity and only a handful of games gave me better performance, older games. Games like BFBC2 and CODMW were actually about 5 fps faster with 1 GPU enabled. I tried every driver from 10.2 - 10.5 and nothing worked. I litteraly tried everything from a new MOBO to a new PSU because I wanted Crossfire/Eyefinity so badly. Eventually I gave up and returned the monitors. There are tons of forums that attest
to my findings so I know its not just a few of us.

The OP's concerns before making a significant purchase are legitimate. There are numerous user reports of bad experiences with crossfire driving eyefinity. My experience trying 2 x 5870s, 1 x 5970, and 2 x 6950s with eyefinity in two different systems (P45 and X58) was bad. Just a sluggish laggy feeling to games particularly if the frames were below 60.

When experiencing this with the 5870s I read about the crossfire bridge being bandwidth limited so tried a 5970 (no bridge required) thinking that would eliminate the problem. The 5970 gave me the same experience as the 5870s. A friend had the same issue with a 5970 and then 2 x 6950s before through frustration being driven to switch to a pair of GTX 580s which he reports performs miles smoothly in surround.

From what I can tell this is not a universal issue as there are users who report great performance. There are those however who have had a similar experience to mine.

I have three XFX 2GB 6950s that have been flashed to unlock shaders running on a Maximus IV Extreme pushing 5040x1050 Eyefinity accross three 22" panels and they chew up and spit out every game I throw at them without breaking a sweat. The newer drivers have also made performance improvements in multiple games (NFS Shift 2, Crysis 2, Dirt 3). I can comfortably say I doubt I will need to upgrade for a good while.

Now my previous setup with two 2GB Matrix 5870s running the same res was a different story. Definitely had bugs and annoying qualities that made end up selling both cards out of disappointment. Whatever AMD did to improve CFX / Eyefinity on the 6000 series worked wonderfully.

One thing I think may contribute to some issues people have is not enough power delivery. With my cpu clocked to 4.8 and the three cards, my Corsair 850HX couldn't reliably keep up with demands. I added in the XFX 750 black PSU with a daisy chaining cable and haven't had a hiccup since. I know that it's probably overkill, but so is having three GPUs and three monitors!

Last edited:
I have three MSI HD 6950 flashed to 6970 and I have noticed a 30% increase in performance across all games vs dual Crossfire, and the GPU useages in each card are 85-90% and higher. I use three 24" Dells 5760 X 1200. AND I still use 11.4 Preview drivers.

I can easily say the Crossfire/TriFire/whatever you want to call it works VERY much better in the 6000 series than it ever did in the 5000 series.........maybe those complaining are still using 5000 series cards.

And I have no idea what you're talking about. I had 2 HD 5830's crossfired with 3, 24' ASUS monitors in eyefinity and only a handful of games gave me better performance, older games. Games like BFBC2 and CODMW were actually about 5 fps faster with 1 GPU enabled. I tried every driver from 10.2 - 10.5 and nothing worked. I litteraly tried everything from a new MOBO to a new PSU because I wanted Crossfire/Eyefinity so badly. Eventually I gave up and returned the monitors. There are tons of forums that attest
to my findings so I know its not just a few of us.

You sir just raised a 13month old thread from the dead. Well played.

Crossfire/Eyefinity works fine with 6000 series cards.

Back