Cross reference HP / Asus mobo with similar Asus model

aimee24

n00b
Tried to get HP support to give some similar mobo between their HP / Asus model & ASUS' own models so I could get the correct AI Suite to control fans, read system info. The similar Asus model they gave didn't even have the same chipset. I'm not sure if that truly matters as far as their AI Suite working correctly. Just need a reliable program to adjust case fan speeds a bit. Simpler is better.

1) Does anyone know how I can cross the Asus / HP board w/ some similar model on Asus' site to get the correct version of AI Suite?

2) If no to # 1, suggestions on reliable prgms that will allow controlling fan speeds?
Fairly sure this mobo has the ability to adjust fans. 1st tried SpeedFan - no options to adjust any fans (reports them), but MSI Afterburner had no trouble adjusting GPU fan.

None of several socket 775 boards I looked at on Asus' site had G33 chipset.

The info HP has for this mobo is

Manufacturer's motherboard name: Asus IPIBL-TX
HP/Compaq name: Burbank-GL8E
Form Factor Micro-ATX: 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset Intel G33
Front-side bus speed 800/1066/1333 MHz (processor dependent)
Processor upgrade information
Socket type: 775

Thanks.

This is the only G33 motherboard I can find on the Asus website

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5KVM/

however it is not the same board as the hp one, notice the difference in the expansion slots.

Most likely this is a custom job Asus did for HP. Also, keep in mind that OEMs like HP and Dell usually use customer boards that have proprietary connectors for stuff like cpu coolers and front panel connectors, so you may have to replace more than just the motherboard.

Thanks skruideli, I stumbled across the P5K-VM also. It is very similar to mine. You may have misunderstood - wasn't looking to replace my mobo - only find a very similar genuine Asus board, to have a better chance of their AI Suite working on mine. BTW, the AI Suite ver listed for the P5K-VM is same as for the (dissimilar) board that HP support gave as a "close match" to the OEM board (may / may not mean anything).

Probably venturing into dangerous territory, but I've heard of people (probably had much more info to go on) flashing an OEM mobo w/ a "genuine" BIOS.
1) I'd have to ask, what's the worst that could happen? Disaster, I'm guessing.

2) Short of (in this case) HP or Asus saying another BIOS ver would work (doubt that will happen), how would one ever know which Asus BIOS would work? The 2 boards here have AMI - diff versions. IF... a BIOS would install, that had settings for features not on my board - no biggie. Cratering the system is another matter.

Worst case scenario is that you try to flash the BIOS and it fails, completely bricking the board. At this point it may be possible to resurrect it by replacing the BIOS chip with the original.

While the boards may share a common ancestry there is no guarantee that the BIOS is interchangeable. The AFUDOS utility may even refuse to actually flash the BIOS for you if it thinks the BIOS is not for the board (this is a good thing!).

I would really recommend against even trying, the safest thing to do is to see if you could find a P5K-VM BIOS chip on sale somewhere and pop that in and see if it clears POST, if not, you should be able to put the original chip back in and continue as it were, at least in theory. It may be that the BIOS chip is not removable in these 2 models, or something might still go wrong with this swap, so you are sailing on dangerous waters here.

I am assuming this is all because of the infamous fan problem HP desktops have been suffering from recently (revving up the fan like crazy) ? I had a customer about a month ago that was driven so crazy by it, they tried to swap components themselves and ended up destroying their cpu (it was missing a pin!) and there was a huge fiasco about BIOS updates and finding a replacement cpu for them...

skruideli,
I'm not about to flash the BIOS w/ one from a "similar" board w/o some REALLY good info & advice from someone that's done it several times.
Besides, it'd be easier for me to replace the top of case fan w/ a different one (more CFM &/ or its own speed control). That's my main gripe - the top fan turns so slowly - almost silent (that's only good part) & it's only 90 mm, can barely feel any air. It plugs into power harness, so no reporting. Back fan is controlled by ? mobo ? - but doesn't vary much.

Don't know about swapping out chips - it still might not work w/ all the board's features / circuitry.

This was a custom order from HP & had many extras couldn't get in store models, but they scrimped on the BIOS & some mobo features - like leaving off 2nd chassis fan plug (though label for "Chassis Fan 2" is there). BUT... it has 12 USB connections, total!

Since the tower is supposed to sit in an (expensive) desk cubby hole w/ no holes on either side or back (back = front of desk, which is finished), may be cutting holes in part of desk and / or mounting sm. fan under desk.

Back