Crooked Holesaw

ATi_Loyalist

Limp Gawd
Ok, So I bought a 4" Holesaw for a small project, involving a 4.5"x4.5"x1" block of aluminum that needs a hole in it. The only problem, is that once I got the saw all chucked up in my drill press, this thing was wobbling all over like crazy. I double and triple checked it to make sure it was in right, nothing. Its like the threads are crooked... Any ideas/suggestions

does it have a bit in the center for a guide? Pics would be helpful.

Dood, you want to put a 4 inch through a 1 inch piece of aluminum the is 4.5 inches sq. Whew that's asking a hell of a lot out of a hole saw and a drill press. Find someone with a lathe and have him bore the hole. Cutting a 4" hole is a lot of metal to cut. You better have one awesome slow running drill press with lots of coolant an take your time. If you haven't used the hole saw take it back. A hole saw that large can twist and distort if you jam it in the workpiece.

Not to mention break your wrist, fingers, and possibly your jaw, if you hold the drill at working height.

The trick to drilling aluminum is VERY slow RPM's with steady moderate to light pressure. If the block starts to get very hot, take a break and let it cool off. The metal can actually start to melt onto the saw if you push it too far. You'll start to see little smashed down globs if it starts to get too hot. Thats a lot of metal to cut but it can be done with a lot of patience.

Is the pilot bit (the twist drill part) wobbling or just the hole saw part. A 4 inch saw should have 3 holes at the bottom of the cup. One for the pilot bit, and 2 for the pins that keep the saw rotating with the pilot bit. Do you have these hole lined up right?

the mandrel just screws in the center, there are no guide holes. I have plenty of paitence, its just the saw wiggles...perhaps I should try a different mandrel, I checked it with a square and it is off about 1/16" one the one side, so Im guessing a different mandrel will help.

I'll 3rd the lathe...or a milling machine...any machine shops in your area?

Many machine shops can do it for you during a down time between projects, some guys take real pride in their new toys if they have them...ie multi axis computerized milling machines...

We have a really sweet milling machine in the shop at work...tough to get stuff made on it though!

Good Luck

MD

If you live in Northern Cal I could bore it for you as I have full machine shop in my garage. :D

You do have a drill bit in it right?

Edit,
Just to add aluminum is hard to cut with anything.

Well, dont take me for a nub as far as metalworking or anything, i just dont have the fancy tools for big jobs....of course I have a bit, heh. Ill look around town, I havent been able to find any decent/hobbyist friendly machine shops around town, they are all commercial.
Lt. Dan would you be willing to accept my piece if I sent it to you in the mail? i would appreciate it greatly.

Jason,
Here's your block with the 4" hole. It took 2hrs to bore it out. No way with a hole saw!

site1005.jpg
Hey

That is one sexy block...

I need bigger powertools!

Hole saws arent that great, but ok in a pinch for cheap cut throughs...

Dan, Holy shit man you did an amazing job with that!!! Im looking forward to recieveing it and getting to work on this project.

Major Props to DAN THE MAN

Dood what are you making????????? Your not working for Marwan are you (24HRs) :D

OK OK Here is what I use for blow holes in AL and Plastic. You better have a good drill Press (slow speed) and lots of clamps. If this thing tears something loose it's scruuud.

blowhole2.jpg

Lt. Dan said:
Jason,
Here's your block with the 4" hole. It took 2hrs to bore it out. No way with a hole saw!

site1005.jpg
Hey

lol im late on this thread ...but that would have never been done with a 4" saw....you would have to do it an inch at a time...4 different blades....just like he had to do it with probaly 3-5 different bits on the lathe.

it would have been 10x faster if you guys would of used a CNC mill tho, if you had access to one that is.

crazyman_130 said:
lol im late on this thread ...but that would have never been done with a 4" saw....you would have to do it an inch at a time...4 different blades....just like he had to do it with probaly 3-5 different bits on the lathe.

it would have been 10x faster if you guys would of used a CNC mill tho, if you had access to one that is.

I drilled it incrementally to 1" then with a boring bar in my lathe started cutting .060 per pass. Holes saws do not like to cut real deep, they can if you keep it well lubed, but AL likes to build up and jam. I use carbide replaceable tooling and one tool bit cut the hole from start to finish.

10x faster with a CNC, Oh yeah sure it would be and about 50k to 75K to buy one. My $3500 lathe has paid for itself a few times now and I can afford to let it set for months with out turning it on.

well, its for a top secret gizmo involving water, LEDs and a fan.... Keep a look out. Summer is coming and Ill have time to work further on this project.

Lt. Dan said:
I drilled it incrementally to 1" then with a boring bar in my lathe started cutting .060 per pass. Holes saws do not like to cut real deep, they can if you keep it well lubed, but AL likes to build up and jam. I use carbide replaceable tooling and one tool bit cut the hole from start to finish.

10x faster with a CNC, Oh yeah sure it would be and about 50k to 75K to buy one. My $3500 lathe has paid for itself a few times now and I can afford to let it set for months with out turning it on.

oh yea i know there expensive...but i was just saying. I have access to all that jazz and maybe one day own some of the stuff....it would deffintly be nice to atleast lol.

Back