Critique this beta site design!

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
www.lexingtonfixit.com/new

How does this site look? Decent? Is the overall layout good?

Colors? Ya... alot of blue... *shrug*.

What should I change?

And HOW THE HELL can I reduce the size of the .gif monitor picture... ??? the big fp937s.

I pixelated the monitor on purpose... =). I was trying to make it look somewhat retro/comicy and blur out the brand and such at the same time. Anyways, I just thought up a bnuch of changes... Im going to upload a bunch of stuff within the next 30 minutes.

UPDATED! Take a look at it... I changed a few things...

ACK! Its totally borked in IE... Im using opera.... hrm...

Tengis said:
ACK! Its totally borked in IE... Im using opera.... hrm...

While I could never create that it makes my head hurt and I think it needs additional tuning. Bear in mind that I am using IE and that may be the issue...

maybe you should put some content explaining what you do instead of offering up a spyware-esque fake error message.

Lol, I like that error message, I thought it was a good idea.

And like I said, I havent put any content on there in the slightest... Im not really worried about it either.... Im just wondering if you guys like the design.

By the way, cascading style sheets are fucking l33t. Not only does CSS give nice results in all browsers, but its fucking fun to code for some reason. Ive never liked typing anything out like programing or html in my entire life... but CSS is awesome.

Not sure what purpose it serves, but unless this is just a joke site, I would pass you over as a consumer...based entirely on your site.

There are some render errors in Firefox.

The title box of the error box on the first page extends past the black border on the right.

Nasty_Savage said:
Not sure what purpose it serves, but unless this is just a joke site, I would pass you over as a consumer...based entirely on your site.

If I ever was to use this site... which I doubt it anyways, of course I would change all the text and shit. I dont like boring sites...

I havent been able to sleep lately, so Im just making a ton of shit with CSS.

You're using an image that is 741 pixels wide and is left aligned. That looks awkward at even 1024x768. At least center it.

The icons are rather cliched looking, like something you'd see on a years-old geoshitties site.

"OMG your computer is broke, let me fix it! =p... under construction..."

Just doesn't come across as a professional site. Like Nasty_Savage said, the site doesn't make me want to use your services.

ok granted it doesn't look professional , is it supose to be?

i think it looks cute. The 1337 speak just makes it funny. I wouldn't go there to get my computer fixed but i might hang out there and chillax.

As for the design and layout i think everyone has said it all , or will say it , im not in a 'be harsh' kinda mood so im not really going to comment on that part.

What the fuck, are you guys serious? I just put that text in there randomly, that has absolutly nothing to do with what I would offer.

Also, all of the nick picking details like it not being centered... jesus fucking christ, I said I just made it in like an hour or two, and if the overall IDEA of the site was decent I would expand....

Tengis said:
What the fuck, are you guys serious? I just put that text in there randomly, that has absolutly nothing to do with what I would offer.

Also, all of the nick picking details like it not being centered... jesus fucking christ, I said I just made it in like an hour or two, and if the overall IDEA of the site was decent I would expand....
You asked for a critique, you're getting a critique. Some people will charge you money to give comments like this.

It's a well-accepted practice to use lipsum text for filler; everyone knows not to comment on that.

Alternately, spell out "I want critiques on this only, ignore that." Saying "What should I change?" equates to open season.

On the monitor, I would completely remove any trace of text as well as the power light. I think the half-legible stuff just makes it look bad.

Also, I make it less than 800 pixels simply because about 50% of the computers Ive worked on were 800x600... I dont know... ugh.

Im still learning CSS, so I dont know how to do ALOT of the stuff I would otherwise do to make the design perfect in all resolutions, browsers, etc. Im learning! =p

If your aiming for people to get physical with their computers because the site is so hard to read and come to you for repairs then its great.

Back