Critique new HTPC build?

Headcase_Fargone

Limp Gawd
Hi folks, I'm just about to (finally) pull the trigger on an HTPC build and wanted to make sure these components look alright.

The motherboard has been my biggest headache deciding on. I was all set to pick up an ASRock off Newegg until I found it was out of stock. Now I'm leaning toward a Gigabyte despite some of the negative reviews on the same site.

What do the experts say?

Antec ISK 300-65
Core I3 2100
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 Mini-ITX
4GB G.Skill low voltage kit
30GB Kingston SSD (Only needed for Windows installation)
HL slim slot-loading BD/DVD combo off Ebay that someone here recommended

The main aim is low power consumption, especially when not in use. Hence the low voltage memory.

Anyone spot any glaring problems with this build? I'm still uncertain on the motherboard.

While the Core i3 2100 is one of the most energy efficient CPUs out there, I still don't recommend using a 65W PSU with it if you want energy efficiency. Most PSUs are more efficient the closer you are to 40% to 60% of its load. It's been shown that at full load, a Core i3 CPU + mobo + SSD can draw around 63W (subtract 14W off the idle HD 6970).

So go for the ISK 100 case for its 80W PSU or the ISK 300 with the 150W PSU.

I had actually asked about that in a thread over in the Small Form Factor Computing subforum and a couple folks there told me I'd be okay with the 65W model. Something about how inefficient the PSU that comes with the 300-150 was. Now I'm uncertain about the motherboard AND the case, thanks. :)

Back