"Critical Misfires" - Most Disappointing Games

i'll post the number one, the biggest disappointment of all, in my entire gaming life: neverwinter nights 2 :mad:

I'm seeing Crysis 2 a lot and I'd personally have to disagree. It is certainly not up to par with Crysis, but its not a bad game and looks very nice after hi-res textures/dx11

The multiplayer definitely sucks though.

I'm seeing Crysis 2 a lot and I'd personally have to disagree. It is certainly not up to par with Crysis, but its not a bad game and looks very nice after hi-res textures/dx11

The multiplayer definitely sucks though.

It's not about good or bad, it's about disappointment.

Crysis2 was not horrible, but it was a letdown.

That's my opinion anyway, and you know everyone has one, and like as not, they are going to differ..

i'll post the number one, the biggest disappointment of all, in my entire gaming life: neverwinter nights 2 :mad:

I actually enjoyed NWN2. Granted not as good as the first, but no way would I categorize as a major disappointment.

I enjoyed the game when it worked right. The amount of bugs was STAGGERING. It completely took all the enjoyment out of it for me. So I stopped playing it.

Without the bugs there wouldn't be much reason to play Dead Island. Sure it's annoying when you just drop your prized weapon when it still has (5/5 hits left) or the guy you're protecting leaps off a cliff or gets stuck on a tree, but It's kind of fun having that kind of random "anything can happen" occurence, like the worlds gone mad. :D

The game is utterly shit, but theres just something about it which makes you play it...:confused:

for me it was. weeks, months, even years, eagerly waiting, and then... that.

Same. Looked forward to the game forever and was stunned at its sloppiness. Engine was nearly unplayable on anything but the most beastly processors and the graphics were hardly better. Mod tools were far inferior to NWN1, not user friendly, and buggy as hell. But the most damning problem was the character artwork and animation, piss poor, looked and moved like they were made of wax.

Guild Wars 2 for me. Complete disappointment due to total 180 degree turn from the first installment.

Same here. Played the beta weekends and after the second weekend I was bored to tears.

I'm a little disappointed by Battlefield 3 (PC). I liked 1942 and LOVED BF2, but I feel like BF3 isn't an improvement over BF2. It's prettier with destructible environment, but whereas BF2's gameplay was a big improvement over 1942, BF3 added nothing more than eye candy. BF3 net code is such that what you see and what your opponent sees are two different moments in time. They're dribbling out DLC to the tune of $15 a pop every couple months, and BF4 will be out just a matter of months after the last DLC drops.

They had six years in-between BF2 and BF3 and, to me, they did little or nothing to improve the game. I highly doubt they'll bring something very different to BF4 just two years later.

Off the top of my head:

Mass Effect 3
Battlefield 3
Diablo 3
Halo 3
Guild Wars
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Command & Conquer 4
Dark Sector
Fallout 3
Quake 4
DC Universe Online
F.E.A.R. 2
Far Cry 2
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Resident Evil 5
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Red Faction 2
Shattered Union
Supreme Commander 2
Dungeon Siege 3

I'm most disappointed in Dark Sector.

Ultima IX - At least one of the developers was on the official forums basically admitting 'Yeah, it's a piece of shit. Sorry.' Shortly after that the forums disappeared.

I'd call ToEE a misfire. The game was a blast and fun to play, but Atari pushed Troika to get it out the door way, way too early. Fuck you Atari.

[edit] Fuck, I forgot about Myth 3.

Last edited:
Ultima IX - At least one of the developers was on the official forums basically admitting 'Yeah, it's a piece of shit. Sorry.' Shortly after that the forums disappeared.

I'd call ToEE a misfire. The game was a blast and fun to play, but Atari pushed Troika to get it out the door way, way too early. Fuck you Atari.

The modding community has done a lot for ToEE. A huge of bugs have been fixed and lots of content has been added if you are still interested in the game.

I look at Ultima IX as a test bed for a bunch of modern gaming concepts more than a good game: open world, cause-effect dialogue threads, third person over-shoulder view. Ultima IX (and maybe Outcast) is basically the forerunner to the most prevalent form of modern RPGs like Elder Scrolls, Gothic, Mass Effect etc. That said, I actually did find it enjoyable back in the day, just not Ultima Black Gate enjoyable.

Last edited:
I look at Ultima IX as a test bed for a bunch of modern gaming concepts more than a good game: open world, cause-effect dialogue threads, third person over-shoulder view. Ultima IX (and maybe Outcast) is basically the forerunner to the most prevalent form of modern RPGs like Elder Scrolls, Gothic, Mass Effect etc. That said, I actually did find it enjoyable back in the day, just not Ultima Black Gate enjoyable.

We already had open world games with cause and effect dialogue threads. They just weren't usually 3rd person. IMO all IX introduced was the final nail in the coffin for the franchise.

Dragon Age 2.

This. Graphics and combat were great, but the repetative use of dungeons and lack of any other cities made it an unworthy successor to Dragon Age: Origins, which remains one of my top RPGs of all time.

Also, MS Flight 2012.

I'll try and contain it to the last ten years:

Microsoft Flight
Falcon 4.0
Dragon Age 2
Silent Hunter 5
Silent Hunter 4
C&C 4
Chris Sawyer's Locomotion
Sid Meier's Railroads
Civilization 5 (Gods and Kings helped)
> Call of Duty MW (everything AFTER the first Modern Warfare)
Ghost Recon 2 and 3
> Rainbow Six 3 (all R6 games after 3 were absolute crap crap crap)
Far Cry 2
Crysis 2
Dungeon Siege 3
Tom Clancy's EndWar
Tom Clancy's Hawx 2
Bioshock 2
SWTOR SWTOR SWTOR SWTOR SWTOR SWTOR (what a waste of time and money)
Diablo 3 (what a HUGE let down)

If I could broaden the discussion a little bit, the most disappointing developers:
Bioware
Blizzard

Half the games in the original article were not really high profile, and while we all had high hopes for most of these games, I don't think most people had very high expectations.

Back