Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 Reunion

I believe the story line ties into the mid 2000s FFVII movie Advent Children.

The original Crisis Core was a direct prequel to the original FF7. The story leads right up to the events of FF7.

But since the remakes are going a different direction with respect to the original story, we can only assume that is still the case with Crisis Core remake. If it's anything like FF7 Remake part 1, there will be a major divergence and certain characters fates will play out differently.

Not going to spoil either, it's worth playing both the originals, imo.

Advent Children glossed over most things, but if you're looking for cliff notes, sure, go watch it. Technically, Advent Children is a sequel to FF7, so normally it's something you'd watch after both the original games.

The original Crisis Core was a direct prequel to the original FF7. The story leads right up to the events of FF7.

But since the remakes are going a different direction with respect to the original story, we can only assume that is still the case with Crisis Core remake. If it's anything like FF7 Remake part 1, there will be a major divergence and certain characters fates will play out differently.

Not going to spoil either, it's worth playing both the originals, imo.

Advent Children glossed over most things, but if you're looking for cliff notes, sure, go watch it. Technically, Advent Children is a sequel to FF7, so normally it's something you'd watch after both the original games.
The timeline is the same up until Remake, so it makes sense that Crisis Core wouldn't be different except for one key point about the main character.

Loved this game so I'm all in. Super happy it's coming to Switch so I can enjoy handheld just like the original.

Never played the original, but it's combat seems to be similar to FF VII Remake's?

So this seems like it is using the same engine as the original, whatever that was. This is more of a remaster and not a remake built from the ground up apparently (but I may be wrong here). They're adding voice dialogue for all characters/lines though. That explains why it looks a lot more dated graphically than FF7R. Being Square I assume they'll price this at $70 though.

Seems like this shouldn't contain spoilers for FF7 Reunion, so I will likely plat this.

Been playing this one a bit. Works and runs great. Zero porting or optimization issues I can see. Also looks good for being an updated PSP game. That aside, I am finding the combat to be boring and flat. Seems more like a slasher as the RPG mechanics are kind of pointless so far. Upgrading of abilities and items is a bit clunky and confusing. Dialogue is just awful, even if though the voice actors seem to be the same from Remake. I suppose this is based off of an older mobile console game but seeing the people talk and interact is just awkward. Character development is very rushed and jarring. The main character is too much of an imbecile for me as well.

I suppose if you're a huge FF fan, or enjoyed the original you'll be happy with this remaster. But it does feel dated and the characters/plot is just too thin and odd.

Edit: This appears to run on Unreal Engine. Ironic seeing that the newer FF7 Remake, while much better looking, has a stuttering problem while this old PSP port on an older UE build works flawlessly.

Last edited:
Back