Criminals are Using Drones to Obstruct Law Enforcement

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Drones use is becoming more and more common as the technology improves and criminals have definitely figured out how to take advantage of their abilities. For instance, in a recent event in a big city in the U.S. a swarm of drones was used to obstruct an FBI hostage raid. The drones surveilled the agents and swooped down on the agents to flush them out of their observation post. This interference caused the team to lose situational awareness. Also, drones are now being used on the border to spy on the Border Patrol and find weaknesses in the border that can be exploited. Further, drones are being used to surveil police stations and see who is coming and going. Is it going to be very long before we see law enforcement using drone interceptors to fight these drones in the air?

Mazel said the suspects had backpacked the drones to the area in anticipation of the FBI’s arrival. Not only did they buzz the hostage rescue team, they also kept a continuous eye on the agents, feeding video to the group’s other members via YouTube. “They had people fly their own drones up and put the footage to YouTube so that the guys who had cellular access could go to the YouTube site and pull down the video,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something tells me that the next step for Law Enforcement is start using anti-drone jamming technology. The problem I see is that most drones use standard commercial WiFi 2.4 or 5 Ghz.

Why would they tell the public if they're using interceptors?

Cut TSA bloat and security theater, hire DHS interceptor pilots since a drone can fly from one state to another? Sure.

Working in the CCTV IP Camera/Radar industry I can tell you this is a serious concern of a lot of people and there are companies working on this. Interestingly enough one of the industries that is most concerned is the food industry. They have managed to lobby local states to outlaw people from taking footage of animal handling but now the activists are using drones to get footage.

Shotguns are probably a good choice for the low flying drones within 40-50 yards. With the right loads (birdshot, etc.) it would a wide spread for the best chance to hit vulnerable parts and become less lethal after 100 yards or so.

Last edited:
and of course this will be used as justification for restriction of civil rights, privacy, and of course f a windfall to the defense industry who will come out with all sorts of overly expensive countermeasures.

I find it rather ironic that the part of the government and society who have been using technology in increasingly oppressive ways are freaking out that people may try to use common-off-the-shelf drones to try to at least have some way to fight back with information.

Working in the CCTV IP Camera/Radar industry I can tell you this is a serious concern of a lot of people and there are companies working on this. Interestingly enough one of the industries that is most concerned is the food industry. They have managed to lobby local states to outlaw people from taking footage of animal handling but now the activists are using drones to get footage.

This is an exact example of the corruption I'm talking about. The food industry, especially factory farming, is so rife with abuses that are illegal (even under laws constantly under threat of weakening thanks to lobbying efforts of BigAg) and yet they use their ill-gotten gains to lobby to make it illegal to tape/provide evidence of these misdeeds as well as technology to let them obfuscate further.

Law enforcement will spend little money to combat drones, and just up the charges on crimes involving drones. Steal your neighbors bike and get probation, steal your neighbors bike with a drone and get 40 years.

Just need a firearm that can emit an interference beam, so it's directional and less intrusive to your everyday law abiding citizen.
Good to go!

Patrol the border with Hunter-Killer Drones.
latest?cb=20080407134522.jpg

Now had they strapped explosives to the drones, that would have bin a huge story. For the time being people are merely using the tools our government has had a monopoly on for decades, now that the technology has shrank and become cheap enough for the everyman. Look forward to more devices like the ones Nascar was intending to use for 'driver safety' that are intended to neutralize them in a web around the targeted area. (I still think they just don't want people getting free video feeds of the events streamed online.)

we need money to build the Wall. Make drones illegal with a $10k fine if caught with one (flying it or not)

Back