Creator of the GIF Sets Record Straight

HardOCP News

[H] News
The guy that created the GIF seems a bit miffed that people still want to pronounce the word with a hard G.

He is proud of the GIF, but remains annoyed that there is still any debate over the pronunciation of the format. “The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations,” Mr. Wilhite said. “They are wrong. It is a soft ‘G,’ pronounced ‘jif.’ End of story.”

jif1.jpg

I've always said it like jif...but I didn't have a good reason to. Glad to find out I was right.

Graphics Interchange Format.

Graphics. Guh. Not juh.
Yep, and even though he invented it, I don't really care what he thinks is the correct way to pronounce the abbreviation. It's just an abbreviation after all. I pronounced it GIF, not jif, prior to this, and will continue to.

Jraphics Interchange Format? Yea, don't care. Still calling it Gif.

Even though I know I'll be looked at like an old, out of touch schmeg...I'll still call it "Gif"

"Jif" has always been peanut butter to me, not....one of those moving picture things!

Also, cocks.

Yea I'm never going to call it that. If he didn't want it that way he should have changed it or made it look different than a shorter version of the word "gift"....

So he named it based on an acronym, and then changed the pronunciation even though it's parent is a hard G.

Moron.

I pronounce it with a hard G. Also, Webster and I are in agreement that what makes words and gives them meaning is when people understand what you are intending to stay.

If I say animated gif or animated jif you still know what I mean, so they are both right. End of story.

Popular culture defines the meaning and pronunciation of a word. Its never the whim of just one person.

Popular culture defines the meaning and pronunciation of a word. Its never the whim of just one person.

Eh... not always true. If that person has a lot of influence, his words can be all that's needed. Sure, it's the people that follow him, but it can be started just by a whim of a person.

I knew this and told so many others they were wrong. I guess its an "I told ya so" kinda day for me. I get lucky every once in awhile.

Even the creator is WRONG. the G in graphic is a hard G there for the G in GIF is a hard G.

gif ...end of story. FY creator! :) but thanks for the creation anyway.

Back